Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Should be no limits on segments anymore

Anyway, find your routing first and then call AP to validate
Thanks jerryhung. My SO and I both loves planes but we didn't know if having 15-20 segments in the ticket is permissible (he wants to try all the products out there... ). So as long as we don't hit the same city twice in one direction and the overall journey is within MPM then we should be good, right?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by xtremester
Thanks jerryhung. My SO and I both loves planes but we didn't know if having 15-20 segments in the ticket is permissible (he wants to try all the products out there... ). So as long as we don't hit the same city twice in one direction and the overall journey is within MPM then we should be good, right?

Thanks again!
There used to be a 10-segment limit, but it's not there any more. However, I believe there is a technical limit of 16 segments per reservation. I may be mistaken though.

Also keep in mind you will pay airport fees for each segment, and it could quickly add up. Connecting in Europe can be particularly expensive, sometimes up to $50-$100 for each connection, or even more if you use scamchargeable airlines.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by echino
There used to be a 10-segment limit, but it's not there any more. However, I believe there is a technical limit of 16 segments per reservation. I may be mistaken though.

Also keep in mind you will pay airport fees for each segment, and it could quickly add up. Connecting in Europe can be particularly expensive, sometimes up to $50-$100 for each connection, or even more if you use scamchargeable airlines.
For the technical limitation of 16 segments, does it matter where it falls on the itinerary? Does it have to be 4 segment STOP 4 segment STOP 4 segment STOP 4 segment or can it be (hypothetically) 15 segments STOP 1 segment?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:54 pm

I'm looking at booking a mini-RTW in business class, but there are some Y segments. I am aware that should J space become available on those segments after initial booking, that I can call Aeroplan and change into those business seats, without any call-in change fee.

However, I was advised by the agent that if I do not get J space, then ONLY the flights that are AC segments will allow me to standby at the gate to wait for possible upgrade (lowest on the upgrade list). For non-AC flights I don't get this privilege? Is this how it works?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WKnight
I'm looking at booking a mini-RTW in business class, but there are some Y segments. I am aware that should J space become available on those segments after initial booking, that I can call Aeroplan and change into those business seats, without any call-in change fee.

However, I was advised by the agent that if I do not get J space, then ONLY the flights that are AC segments will allow me to standby at the gate to wait for possible upgrade (lowest on the upgrade list). For non-AC flights I don't get this privilege? Is this how it works?
Yes, the information you received is correct.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Yes, the information you received is correct.
Thank you. I've been lurking and reading this thread for the past year or two, and never realized this was the case. Appreciate your info!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:42 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
So I just booked the following in J (except the last AC flight in Y):

YYZ » TPE BR
TPE » BKK TG
BKK » MEL TG [turn]
MEL » SIN SQ
SIN » IST TK
IST » AMS TK [stop]
AMS » ZRH LX
ZRH » YUL LX
YUL » YTZ AC

I got binged $313.20 on YQ. Was a bit surprised as when I look up:

TPE » BKK TG
BKK » MEL TG

(same flights, same dates—there are two seats)

on Aeroplan there is no YQ. Is this added because I put on that little AC flight at the end?

I am thinking if I can take enough of that off it is worth the $100 change fee. I could switch the TPE »» MEL flights to BR / SQ. Any better ideas?

Last edited by briantoronto; Jul 27, 2017 at 3:03 am Reason: Error in routing details.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:23 pm

Searching leg by leg is inaccurate. Different rules apply when Thailand is your origin or destination. On your case, Thailand is neither
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by briantoronto

YYZ » TPE BR
TPE » BKK TG
BKK » MEL TG [stop]
MEL » SIN SQ
SIN » IST TK
IST » AMS TK [turn]...
I think you mean MEL is your turn, and AMS is your stop?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
I think you mean MEL is your turn, and AMS is your stop?
you are right, of course.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Searching leg by leg is inaccurate. Different rules apply when Thailand is your origin or destination. On your case, Thailand is neither
Right. What threw me is that I generally didn't do a leg by leg search but a stop by stop search. In my searching I never had BKK as a destination or start. My searches were:

1. yyz-tpe (I was initially planning a stop there)
2. tpe-mel (all TG, no fuel surcharge shown)
3. mel-ams (no TG in my trip. But was given a TG option through ARN and showed no surcharge)
4. ams-ytz (no charges shown)

Obviously the combo of all above kick in fuel charges of about 300$, most of which i assume was for the two TG flights. It just surprised me at booking. With rumours of BR booking issues going around i decided to grab it ans sort it out later.

I am thinking of saving about 200 after the flight change to switch to SQ to MEL, but the question is:

is an overnight in a wedgie seat on a SQ 333 vs a TG 359 worth 200$?

Last edited by briantoronto; Jul 27, 2017 at 3:54 am Reason: Clarification of searches
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:57 pm

Ok, thank you Jasper2009 for answering my initial questions. Now, a followup question. For any segments which I am unsuccessful at upgrading from Y to J beforehand with Aeroplan, will I still have access to extra baggage, priority check-in, boarding and entry to lounges, particularly at non-Canadian and non-AC flights?

For example I am looking at making a J mini-RTW booking for most segments.
  1. After a week stopover in HKG, departing economy Y seats on Ethiopian to NRT. Will I be afforded J benefits?
  2. After a week stopover in NRT, departing on BR economy Y seat to TPE (as a 2 hour layover), but then from TPE onwards I will have a Business J seat.

TIA!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by briantoronto

YYZ » TPE BR
TPE » BKK TG
BKK » MEL TG [turn]
MEL » SIN SQ
SIN » IST TK
IST » AMS TK [stop]
AMS » ZRH LX
ZRH » YUL LX
YUL » YTZ AC

I got binged $313.20 on YQ. Was a bit surprised as when I look up:

TPE » BKK TG
BKK » MEL TG

(same flights, same dates—there are two seats)

on Aeroplan there is no YQ. Is this added because I put on that little AC flight at the end?

I am thinking if I can take enough of that off it is worth the $100 change fee. I could switch the TPE »» MEL flights to BR / SQ. Any better ideas?
I'm thinking that you are crossing the planet in business class for $300 bucks. What more could you want ?!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:10 pm

Ok, thank you Jasper2009 for answering my initial questions. Now, a followup question. For any segments which I am unsuccessful at upgrading from Y to J beforehand with Aeroplan, will I still have access to extra baggage, priority check-in, boarding and entry to lounges, particularly at non-Canadian and non-AC flights?

1. After a week stopover in HKG, departing economy Y seats on Ethiopian to NRT. Will I be afforded J benefits?
  2. After a week stopover in NRT, departing on BR economy Y seat to TPE (as a 2 hour layover), but then from TPE onwards I will have a Business J seat.

TIA!
YMMV
You can argue you have Business class in later segments and hope for the best. Hopefully you have Elite status or Priority Pass in case of no lounge

1. HKG-NRT may be doubtful
2. NRT-TPE-YYZ should be easy as they can see your 2nd J segment
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:14 pm

TIA!
Priority check in, boarding, and lounge access is doubtful since that's pretty much entirely dependent on your outbound boarding pass. Extra baggage may be possible since that's typically based on the most generous allowance of your entire itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.