Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tracon
That's not much lounge time in IST.
Any longer connections there?
MUC option would be 3.5 hr....there's others that have much longer options but no day layovers to wander. Which I'm not averse to cuz IST lounge looks amazing
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:06 pm

Anyone else in my position?
I have a mRTW booked on the old system, flying SN-TK-SQ-LX-AC
They gave me a new PNR
I've tried accessing Turkish's website to select seats using all the PNRs ive been given but I cannot access my reservation at all - the TK website says "unable to find reservation"

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Give TK a call?
Should I worry about my trip being screwed up with the switch to amadeus?
I still see each segment existing on the AC webite
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:40 pm

This is for my mid February flight. Been searching everyday for an OZ J for my SGN-ICN segment (currently it's Y). My ICN-SFO-YYC are Js.

I don't have EF so that is why I'm searching everyday on AP website. If nothing comes up by departure day, what are the chances of OZ putting me in J at the check-in counter if there are vacant seats?

Wishful thinking I know but curious.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tublet
Anyone else in my position?
I have a mRTW booked on the old system, flying SN-TK-SQ-LX-AC
They gave me a new PNR
I've tried accessing Turkish's website to select seats using all the PNRs ive been given but I cannot access my reservation at all - the TK website says "unable to find reservation"

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Give TK a call?
Should I worry about my trip being screwed up with the switch to amadeus?
I still see each segment existing on the AC webite
Try from the Turkish airlines app, that worked for me
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Aeroplan Black
Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
Just wondering what others might do?

I have a booking in J x 2 already but there's now some openings on TK new 787.

Currently have:
CPH-PEK SK A330 9 hr flight
PEK-SIN CA A330 7 hr flight
SIN-PER SQ 787 (same flight in both options)

Could change to:
CPH-VIE with potentially a nice 11 hr daytime layover (alternate options ive found: MUC, WAW, FCO ---- Bologna 5.5 hr layover, then the rest of too short to make much of)
VIE-IST TK A330 2.5 hr flight, 2 hr IST layover
IST-KUL TK 787 new J 11 hr, 3 hr KUL layover
KUL-SIN SQ 350 1 hr
SIN-PER

I'd lose a day in CPH (never been before). But TK J is tempting and seems worth the fee change but I was also excited for SAS J.....and hoping maybe equipment change to their new a350. Thanks!
As tempting as the new TK J, you might want to look at the review from blogger / others first, it seems to generate some mixed opinion cos the seat can be a bit restrictive & claustrophobic (especially if you're tall).
PS: I never fly TK before but just reading the reviews, I'm devising route for my upcoming mRTW (hopefully... seems pretty gloomy post-amadeus migration) that run by older plane, A330 for example lol.. but of course that's just my opinion.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by seks
This is for my mid February flight. Been searching everyday for an OZ J for my SGN-ICN segment (currently it's Y). My ICN-SFO-YYC are Js.

I don't have EF so that is why I'm searching everyday on AP website. If nothing comes up by departure day, what are the chances of OZ putting me in J at the check-in counter if there are vacant seats?

Wishful thinking I know but curious.
Just some FYI, I did run the EF query and the only day that's available for J segment from SGN-ICN with OZ is Feb 21st, 2020.
From what I understand from reading all the information, if there's an open spot then yes you'll be eligible to be in J since your itinerary supposedly to be in J anyway. Maybe ask nicely in the check-in counter/gate?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by xanderz
Just some FYI, I did run the EF query and the only day that's available for J segment from SGN-ICN with OZ is Feb 21st, 2020.
Ya the one you got is the red-eye flight. The one I need leaves at 1210 and that would be on the 20th. Tnx for checking!

From what I understand from reading all the information, if there's an open spot then yes you'll be eligible to be in J since your itinerary supposedly to be in J anyway. Maybe ask nicely in the check-in counter/gate?
Ya I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

A side note: A week or so prior to the AP Amadeus migration fiasco, there was an all J SGN (dep 1210)-ICN-SFO-YYC on the 21st. I hesitated and was waiting for a BR TPAC in J to open up :\
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
That is ONLY true on an AC flight booked with AP. where they (used to be) are able to add you to the upgrade list. On any other carrier you get the seat that you're ticketed for. (and even on AC there's no clear consensus yet post-Amadeus if that's still possible or forever/temporarily not)
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
That is ONLY true on an AC flight booked with AP. where they (used to be) are able to add you to the upgrade list. On any other carrier you get the seat that you're ticketed for. (and even on AC there's no clear consensus yet post-Amadeus if that's still possible or forever/temporarily not)
Ah I see, thanks for clarifying!
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by bichoo
Try from the Turkish airlines app, that worked for me
Hey, this worked for me when the Turkish website was giving me "technical error" and couldnt access my booking, so thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: AE / MR
Hey everyone, currently have a Y mRTW booked pre-September 1st, which essentially was a placeholder for when I had the points to switch it to J. Travel dates are in May-June 2020, not really looking to change them if not needed, but looking for ideas (or solutions).

Current itinerary is: YOW-EWR-OSL-ARN-CPH-BRU-NAP VIE-BCN-LIS-MAD-BRU-YYZ-YOW (NAP-VIE is an open jaw, BCN is a stopover)

I am looking to switch it to this instead: YOW-IAD-HND-SYD-ICN-PVG-HEL-ARN-TXL-VIE-FRA-YOW (HND stopover, SYD destination, TXL second stopover)

So with all the the current Amadeus / Aeroplan issues, any chance I can get it changed over the phone, or I'll get the go-around? I know exactly each segment, flight numbers and dates, which is exactly how I got it done before and how I learned to do it. Am I just better off waiting till 2020 and hope the availability is still there on all the segments and that Aeroplan gets it fixed? With the wait times lately and the end of my degree, I don't really have a full-day worth of time on the phone hoping to find a CSR able/willing to help.

One last thing! I was looking at YOW-YYZ-HND on AC metal. I know Japan has restrictions on YQ, but since it is not my final destination I guess I will be hit with extra charges. Since HND is my first stopover, is it considered as "one destination" for the booking purpose and therefore limited YQ? Is it worth flying AC1 in Y or am I just better off booking United, ANA or anything else?

Thanks yall!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by don_drapper
Hey everyone, currently have a Y mRTW booked pre-September 1st, which essentially was a placeholder for when I had the points to switch it to J. Travel dates are in May-June 2020, not really looking to change them if not needed, but looking for ideas (or solutions).

Current itinerary is: YOW-EWR-OSL-ARN-CPH-BRU-NAP VIE-BCN-LIS-MAD-BRU-YYZ-YOW (NAP-VIE is an open jaw, BCN is a stopover)

I am looking to switch it to this instead: YOW-IAD-HND-SYD-ICN-PVG-HEL-ARN-TXL-VIE-FRA-YOW (HND stopover, SYD destination, TXL second stopover)

So with all the the current Amadeus / Aeroplan issues, any chance I can get it changed over the phone, or I'll get the go-around? I know exactly each segment, flight numbers and dates, which is exactly how I got it done before and how I learned to do it. Am I just better off waiting till 2020 and hope the availability is still there on all the segments and that Aeroplan gets it fixed? With the wait times lately and the end of my degree, I don't really have a full-day worth of time on the phone hoping to find a CSR able/willing to help.
So from what I understand and reading from the previous DP's,
if you booked it pre-September (where you still allowed 2 stopovers), then technically any changes to your current itinerary, you'll still be allowed to 2 stopovers.

I read some successful stories / DP's from people where they either make some small changes on their mRTW at the end/beginning segments of their trip.. some even moving the whole trips (same segments) 1 month later even though the call time is horrible & agents had to put you on hold several times to check with supervisor/ticketing services/ etc because unfamiliarity with the new system.

For your case... it almost seems like you made a complete change to your itinerary lol, all I can say this time I haven't find one (and I'm still looking) successful DP to feed segments-by-segments as Im also looking to book one myself post amadeus. And yeah, with the call time and issues above, maybe its better to hold until new year when I believe their Phase 2 migration is done? but by all means please report back if you successfully made the change before =)

One last thing! I was looking at YOW-YYZ-HND on AC metal. I know Japan has restrictions on YQ, but since it is not my final destination I guess I will be hit with extra charges. Since HND is my first stopover, is it considered as "one destination" for the booking purpose and therefore limited YQ? Is it worth flying AC1 in Y or am I just better off booking United, ANA or anything else?

Thanks yall!
Maybe other can chip in as well, but from what I understand, I think the YQ restriction only applies to outbound flight (From HND/NRT -> elsewhere) not inbound flight (elsewhere -> HND/NRT).
Personally I would choose ANA over AC all day anyday lol.. kinda ironic actually since Aeroplan = Air Canada but we chose to avoid Air Canada to dodge the YQ *sigh*
don_drapper likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:27 am

\I read some successful stories / DP's from people where they either make some small changes on their mRTW at the end/beginning segments of their trip.. some even moving the whole trips (same segments) 1 month later even though the call time is horrible & agents had to put you on hold several times to check with supervisor/ticketing services/ etc because unfamiliarity with the new system.

For your case... it almost seems like you made a complete change to your itinerary lol, all I can say this time I haven't find one (and I'm still looking) successful DP to feed segments-by-segments as Im also looking to book one myself post amadeus. And yeah, with the call time and issues above, maybe its better to hold until new year when I believe their Phase 2 migration is done? but by all means please report back if you successfully made the change before =)

Maybe other can chip in as well, but from what I understand, I think the YQ restriction only applies to outbound flight (From HND/NRT -> elsewhere) not inbound flight (elsewhere -> HND/NRT).
Personally I would choose ANA over AC all day anyday lol.. kinda ironic actually since Aeroplan = Air Canada but we chose to avoid Air Canada to dodge the YQ *sigh*
Yeah that's also what I saw in terms of DP, but haven't really seen anything to suggest a segment by segment feeding like before. Worries me a bit to wait in Q1 2020 as I have obligations related to work about how much time before taking a leave of absence I have, and the thinning supply of J seats. Might give it a shot mid-december see if it can work as I'll have a few days off to look into it. Been a really frustrating experience, though in all fairness the added time before booking really helped me refine my trip and the segments themselves. Only part I am really "unimpressed" is VIE-FRA-YOW as it is Lufthansa and 417$ in taxes to fly on a A340, though TATL to Canada, within my MPM is a bit difficult.

I'll have to look into ANA availability and see if I can make it work, heard a lot of good things about the product. I'll be flying them on HND-SYD and with "The Suites" hard product, it might be worth the time investment.

Thanks for your help! Hopefully more positive DP come along soon...
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:40 am

I read some successful stories / DP's from people where they either make some small changes on their mRTW at the end/beginning segments of their trip.. some even moving the whole trips (same segments) 1 month later even though the call time is horrible & agents had to put you on hold several times to check with supervisor/ticketing services/ etc because unfamiliarity with the new system.

Yeah, my research also seem to match what you are reporting here... I am quite new to FT as a whole, as my general field of knowledge is more churning / credit cards, so I am not entirely sure if I am looking in the right places or not

Quite a change in itinerary as it was first booked in Y and meant as a placeholder as I didn't know for sure if would be able to secure the missing 100k AE by the end of the year. Ironically, I am sitting on 150k right now. It is probably one of the last time I can actually take 55 days off work without having to quit, as my employer has a really great leave of absence policies. Booking last minute is not really an option as I am required to give a 90 day notice minimum and of course we all know how availability can thin down really quickly. Nonetheless, I'll give it a shot mid-december once I am done with exams and have a bit of time-off booked. Hopefully I report back with some positive DP!

As for the YQ, my understanding of it was that Outside Japan (OJ)-> Japan was limited YQ, but if it was OJ -> Japan (as a transit destination) -> OJ it was not applicable and therfore could be full-fat. The online booking tool shows different amounts based on what I mark as my effective destination, especially if I continue the routing beyond Japan. Curious to see if people have bookings that they can confirm under which rule they fall. Flying ANA to HND would be a better option product wise, it just seems that seats are really rare to find currently. In my life I have never been on a plane, so my "standard" for a good or bad J seat is a bit flaky as it is mostly from anecdotal evidence, so I am open to either a "longer" routing to japan in I get to enjoy maybe a better product with lower YQ, or a more efficient one with light YQ and what is considered a decent product.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:47 am

Yeah, my research also seem to match what you are reporting here... I am quite new to FT as a whole, as my general field of knowledge is more churning / credit cards, so I am not entirely sure if I am looking in the right places or not

Quite a change in itinerary as it was first booked in Y and meant as a placeholder as I didn't know for sure if would be able to secure the missing 100k AE by the end of the year. Ironically, I am sitting on 150k right now. It is probably one of the last time I can actually take 55 days off work without having to quit, as my employer has a really great leave of absence policies. Booking last minute is not really an option as I am required to give a 90 day notice minimum and of course we all know how availability can thin down really quickly. Nonetheless, I'll give it a shot mid-december once I am done with exams and have a bit of time-off booked. Hopefully I report back with some positive DP!

As for the YQ, my understanding of it was that Outside Japan (OJ)-> Japan was limited YQ, but if it was OJ -> Japan (as a transit destination) -> OJ it was not applicable and therfore could be full-fat. The online booking tool shows different amounts based on what I mark as my effective destination, especially if I continue the routing beyond Japan. Curious to see if people have bookings that they can confirm under which rule they fall. Flying ANA to HND would be a better option product wise, it just seems that seats are really rare to find currently. In my life I have never been on a plane, so my "standard" for a good or bad J seat is a bit flaky as it is mostly from anecdotal evidence, so I am open to either a "longer" routing to japan in I get to enjoy maybe a better product with lower YQ, or a more efficient one with light YQ and what is considered a decent product.
Oh btw from what I monitor so far, NH (ANA), especially J section (from & to North America) seems to be opening up a little bit more usually 2 weeks out (today + 2 weeks),
So you might be able to see some availability there from IAD-HND?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.