Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:09 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Amongst other airports around the world, LGA/JFK/EWR are considered the same city by AE.

But sometimes the site doesn't seem to understand that so be prepared to call in if needed.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by ourwanderlust
Does Aeroplan allow to arrive in one airport and depart form a nearby one ? Eg arrive jfk and depart ewr or arrive nrt and depart hnd?
Generally speaking yes, though some airports seem to be not working right in the Aeroplan system, so the Moscow airports, for example, sometimes cause an issue. In those case you’d need to call in.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by ourwanderlust
Does Aeroplan allow to arrive in one airport and depart form a nearby one ? Eg arrive jfk and depart ewr or arrive nrt and depart hnd?
Yes, AP takes co-terminals

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/co-t...-award-tickets

HND/NRT
JFK/LGA/EWR
TPE/TSA (?)
LHR/LGW/LCY - I'm flying into LGW and leaving LCY for my next mRTW (I called in)
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Question Aeroplan doc for RTW says 2 bags, but last segment UA218 coded for only 1 bag?

My wife and I recently took a mini-RTW trip. We were allowed 2 bags each most of the segments, but the last piece (UA/AC), UA said we were only allowed 1 bag, despite aeroplan itinerary doc says 2 bags. What happened?

The flights were:
YYZ-BRU-FRA (on SN connecting to LH), stop
FRA-ICN (on OZ), destination
ICN-NRT-HNL (on ET, layover at NRT connecting to UA), stop
HNL-ORD-YYZ (on UA and AC)

On aeroplan itinerary doc it says:

Brussels Airlines baggage rules apply.
For flight(s): SN552,LH1009,OZ542

1st bag: Complimentary
2nd bag: 200.00 CAD + taxes* per direction

and

Brussels Airlines baggage rules apply.
For flight(s): ET672,UA902,UA218,AC500
1st bag: Complimentary
2nd bag: Complimentary

It turned out OZ allowed 2 bags each. Then ET as expected allowed 2 bags for ET672 connecting to UA902 (layover in NRT and bags were checked-through so we didn't have to take bags out of NRT)

On the last segments UA218 (HNL-ORD) with 1hr connection to AC500 (ORD-YYZ), we tried ONCI and it showed only 1 bag allowed. At UA counter in HNL, the UA rep showed 1 bag allowed, saying it is coded as SN restriction (SN for Brussels airlines?) I showed him our printed docs from aeroplan. The guy went to check with someone, then came back to say it is 1 bag, but as a one time courtesy he will give us 2 bags each. He said I need to check with the 3rd party seller of the ticket, aeroplan, why they would code it for 1 bag allowed.

Before I call aeroplan to ask, can anyone provide insights to this, so hopefully I can get some answers. (Oh, our AC metal boarding passes still always show zone 5 rather than zone 2 on this trip and previous, even from AC's counters despite us having aeroplan infinite visa cards. That's not a big deal, but it's something ae and AC pointed fingers at each other for years, I gave up trying to find out why)
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by yscleo
My wife and I recently took a mini-RTW trip. We were allowed 2 bags each most of the segments, but the last piece (UA/AC), UA said we were only allowed 1 bag, despite aeroplan itinerary doc says 2 bags. What happened?
Aeroplan tickets are issued by Air Canada. Something is probably screwed up with the AC reservation system causing this to happen.

As it turns out AC is just about to convert over to a new reservation system. I don't think anyone in AC or Aeroplan is going to want to try to investigate or solve the problem in the old system.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:06 pm

So you’re now done your trip, and although UA wanted to initially charge you for bags, they didn’t. I wouldn’t bother wasting any time calling AC/Aeroplan.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Aeroplan tickets are issued by Air Canada. Something is probably screwed up with the AC reservation system causing this to happen.

As it turns out AC is just about to convert over to a new reservation system. I don't think anyone in AC or Aeroplan is going to want to try to investigate or solve the problem in the old system.
We have more ae trips coming up (another RTW in a couple of months), so I hope there won't be issues for future trips. But yes, if they are converting to a new system, they wouldn't want to look into problems in the old system.

Just a few days before our trip, we got email of "new" itinerary, which was really a change of one flight by a few minutes. I didn't re-check everything, but it turned out we lost our seats on OZ and had to get new seats. From NRT, the UA agent also said there's a problem with our ticket and had to call a supervisor over to fix. Didn't know what it was, but it didn't give a comfortable feeling of AC's ticketing.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Yes, AP takes co-terminals

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/co-t...-award-tickets

HND/NRT
JFK/LGA/EWR
TPE/TSA (?)
LHR/LGW/LCY - I'm flying into LGW and leaving LCY for my next mRTW (I called in)
TPE/TSA does count, and so does ICN/GMP.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:11 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to change an mRTW booked prior to Sep 1 recently and still use the old rules? I just called and after speaking to a supervisor, I'm only allowed to change dates and classes? Is this just a case of HUCA?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by emustyle
Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to change an mRTW booked prior to Sep 1 recently and still use the old rules? I just called and after speaking to a supervisor, I'm only allowed to change dates and classes? Is this just a case of HUCA?
I made 300% sure before I booked that I'd be allowed to change dates and routing and was confirmed several times by the agent that I could definitely do these changes. Will call in like 2-3 weeks to change to a september-october routing.

What specific change did you have in mind?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I made 300% sure before I booked that I'd be allowed to change dates and routing and was confirmed several times by the agent that I could definitely do these changes. Will call in like 2-3 weeks to change to a september-october routing.

What specific change did you have in mind?
It would have been a bit of an overhaul, I wanted to go from 1 OJ and 1 Stop to 2 stops.
I also wanted to flip the routings on my inbound and outbound.

So roughly,
Originally It would have been
YYZ - TPE - SIN (Stop)
SIN-PER (POT)

(OJ) MEL-SIN-HNL-YYZ

I wanted to change to:
YYZ-HNL-SIN (stop)
SIN-PER (POT)
PER-SIN-TPE (Stop)-YYZ
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:56 pm

Was just about to post a similar question, only with the addition of a change of class.

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who has or will be calling in to make significant changes to a pre-Aug 30th booking.

cheers

kl
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:26 pm

I have made significant date and routing changes after Sept. 1 using the old rules.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
I have made significant date and routing changes after Sept. 1 using the old rules.
Out of curiosity, do you simply request the change? Or do you need to inform them you have a pre Sep 1 itinerary?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by emustyle
It would have been a bit of an overhaul, I wanted to go from 1 OJ and 1 Stop to 2 stops.
I also wanted to flip the routings on my inbound and outbound.
I was told that a 2 stop itinerary booked before the new rules would be grandfathered in ... could be changed to any other 2 stop itinerary (even if trip was reversed changed from North America to Asia or Y to J costing more miles.

BUT an itinerary booked as 1 stop+1 open jaw would not have anything to grandfather in so could not be changed to 2 stops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.