Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Mini RTW Question

New to the forum, so not sure if this is the right way to post (could not find the create new post button).

Wondering if it is possible to get off before the destination on a mini rtw and then make my own way to the destination essentially making it an open jaw.

Example:
Planning the following mini rtw: YYC-YVR-ICN-NRT-AKL-PER (destination) PER-SIN-WAW(stop over) WAW-FRA-YYC booking it after the new rule changes (sept). It should be within the max mpm and PER seems to be the only place in AUS/NZ that will allow me a stopover in Europe (even though I would prefer to have AKL/SYD/MEL as the destination)

I am wondering if it is possible to get out in AKL rather than going all the way to PER and then making my own way there (traveling through pacific a bit).
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ourwanderlust
New to the forum, so not sure if this is the right way to post (could not find the create new post button).

Wondering if it is possible to get off before the destination on a mini rtw and then make my own way to the destination essentially making it an open jaw.

Example:
Planning the following mini rtw: YYC-YVR-ICN-NRT-AKL-PER (destination) PER-SIN-WAW(stop over) WAW-FRA-YYC booking it after the new rule changes (sept). It should be within the max mpm and PER seems to be the only place in AUS/NZ that will allow me a stopover in Europe (even though I would prefer to have AKL/SYD/MEL as the destination)

I am wondering if it is possible to get out in AKL rather than going all the way to PER and then making my own way there (traveling through pacific a bit).
Once you don't take a flight, all remaining flights of your itinerary get cancelled. So no.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ourwanderlust

Example:

I've only done this for the last leg of the itinerary. I don't think the stopover in europe is possible unless you go to perth if you are departing from YYC.

It's possible to make it to SYD and MEL definitely from the east coast and even then it just barely comes under the MPM. You could always start your trip in the east coast by taking a 1 way flight there and then on the return you don't take your last leg. e.g. YYZ-Europe-SIN-MEL and on your return you do MEL-YVR-YYC-YYZ but dont take the YYZ flight.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:48 pm

Trying to build another Mini-RTW trip right around Xmas time and im having zero luck even with the first step of getting out of Vancouver.

Looking to fly out December 19/20/21 , out of Vancouver to Anywhere in Europe or Asia, I cant find any availability in J or Y. Does Aeroplan specifically block these 3 days completely?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by aleks77
Trying to build another Mini-RTW trip right around Xmas time and im having zero luck even with the first step of getting out of Vancouver.

Looking to fly out December 19/20/21 , out of Vancouver to Anywhere in Europe or Asia, I cant find any availability in J or Y. Does Aeroplan specifically block these 3 days completely?
No, but you're very late to the game trying to find award availability during those peak travel dates.

Have you tried the "less exciting" routes/airlines such as Air China, Ethopian Airlines etc.?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
No, but you're very late to the game trying to find award availability during those peak travel dates.

Have you tried the "less exciting" routes/airlines such as Air China, Ethopian Airlines etc.?
I have tried everything honestly. Ya I understand 4 months out is pretty late for Xmas time travel, just thought i would be able to find at least something.

Looking to do stops in Dubai, Moscow, Riga.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by aleks77
I have tried everything honestly. Ya I understand 4 months out is pretty late for Xmas time travel, just thought i would be able to find at least something.

Looking to do stops in Dubai, Moscow, Riga.
Have you tried checking availability from major US hubs and/or the East Coast?

Especially if you can find business class award availability, booking a separate connecting flight may be an option worth considering.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Have you tried checking availability from major US hubs and/or the East Coast?

Especially if you can find business class award availability, booking a separate connecting flight may be an option worth considering.
Decided to scrap the Dubai idea, going to try to go to Brussels or Germany for the Xmas market.

There is availability from JFK-BRU and then on to Moscow, would have to do open-jaw to Riga, and then riga to JFK back via Brussels. And pay about $600 for cash ticket round-trip YVR-JFK.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:00 pm

First time trying to book a mini-rtw in J and would like your quick feedback. Am I doing it right?

YYZ-TPE-BKK(stop)-SIN(dest)-IST(stop)-CAI-YYZ

YYZ-SIN - 13,095mi (q) MPM

YYZ-TPE-BKK-SIN = 9,941 mi (GCmapper)
SIN-IST-CAI-YYZ = 11,923 mi (GCmapper) (if there's a better or more fun J routing from SIN to YYZ next year August with only 3 legs, let me know since IST-CAI is in Y, although a short flight)

Anything else I need to know before booking? Thanks!!

Last edited by Markerman; Aug 26, 2019 at 8:05 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by Markerman
First time trying to book a mini-rtw in J and would like your quick feedback. Am I doing it right?

YYZ-TPE-BKK(stop)-SIN(dest)-IST(stop)-CAI-YYZ

YYZ-SIN - 13,095mi (q) MPM

YYZ-TPE-BKK-SIN = 9,941 mi (GCmapper)
SIN-IST-CAI-YYZ = 11,923 mi (GCmapper) (if there's a better or more fun J routing from SIN to YYZ next year August with only 3 legs, let me know since IST-CAI is in Y, although a short flight)

Anything else I need to know before booking? Thanks!!
Define "fun"? Presumably the CAI-YYZ is on MS which is a dry airline. That wouldn't be all that much fun. I hear it on a new 787 tho. I've never been there myself, but the consensus seems to be that transiting in CAI is an experience in itself to say the least. Unless you really want to see the pyramids during the layover. There may be other better choices

Last edited by nnanlno; Aug 26, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by nnanlno
Define "fun"? Presumably the CAI-YYZ is on MS which is a dry airline. That wouldn't be all that much fun. I hear it on a new 777 tho. I've never been there myself, but the consensus seems to be that transiting in CAI is an experience in itself to say the least. Unless you really want to see the pyramids during the layover. There may be other better choices
Thanks for response! Scratch the fun part haha.

Essentially, I'm asking if there's a leg from SIN-???(STOP)-YYZ in J (with little YQ) from starting Aug 14, 2020 without having another layover, the only one I found was SIN-IST-CAI-YYZ in J (except IST-CAI).

I'm open to suggestions (assuming the routing would work)
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Logistically, how does it work booking a Y seat and then trying to upgrade to J?
ie) a LAX / SFO > YVR segment has Y reward space but no J.

Is the entire ticket considered a J reward ticket so technically entitled to the space if it opens?

Just continue searching for J space on desired flight and if it appears on AE, simply call in and claim it?
If that doesn't work, upgrade at gate somehow?

I've only booked one mRTW and was able to find everything I wanted in J but having more difficulty this time around.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Logistically, how does it work booking a Y seat and then trying to upgrade to J?
ie) a LAX / SFO > YVR segment has Y reward space but no J.

Is the entire ticket considered a J reward ticket so technically entitled to the space if it opens?

Just continue searching for J space on desired flight and if it appears on AE, simply call in and claim it?
If that doesn't work, upgrade at gate somehow?

I've only booked one mRTW and was able to find everything I wanted in J but having more difficulty this time around.
Only applies to AC metal, but Getting upgraded on mixed cabin Aeroplan redemptions has you covered.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Essentially, I'm asking if there's a leg from SIN-???(STOP)-YYZ in J (with little YQ) from starting Aug 14, 2020 without having another layover, the only one I found was SIN-IST-CAI-YYZ in J (except IST-CAI).

Well with low YQ TATL you're looking at LX, LO, TP, SN & TK. TK & SN are *very* spoty to YYZ right now, the only possibility there might be if you find TK to something in the USA and then go YYZ from there. LX, TP & LO aren't booking that far out right now.
Think you're best to book what you've got then pay the $100 change if a route you prefer comes up. For your criteria probably SIN-IST-LIS-YYZ (TP) is best on there new NEO though personally I'd take the extra short leg and go SIN-IST-ZRH-YUL-YYZ (LX).
nnanlno likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Thanks for response! Scratch the fun part haha.

Aside from limited availability in general with the low-YQ-only restriction, the other issue you're running into is that August 14 is within the window where some partners haven't even released award seats to aeroplan yet.

That said, there's availability on BR J on August 15th with a very simple SIN-TPE-YYZ, all in J, soooo not sure what the problem with that one is? Unless you really NEED to route back through europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.