Mini RTW Questions

Old Aug 14, 19, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Is there a difference within aeroplan between changing routings/dates and changing destinations? Or is it all just a "change" that retains the original ticketing rules, e.g. ANY change post-august 31st on a ticket booked pre-august 31st will retain the 2-stopover allowance, even if it's a change from a YVR-YYC one-way in economy to an mRTW in J?
I was actually looking for the note about tickets booked before September, but I couldn't find it earlier.

I can't speak for that case specifically, but in general, a change is a change.
Old Aug 16, 19, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Is there a difference within aeroplan between changing routings/dates and changing destinations? Or is it all just a "change" that retains the original ticketing rules, e.g. ANY change post-august 31st on a ticket booked pre-august 31st will retain the 2-stopover allowance, even if it's a change from a YVR-YYC one-way in economy to an mRTW in J?
I have read some bloggers saying that you will retain the 2-stopover allowance if you book a flight reward before September 1st. But when I spoke to 2 different Aeroplan agents (one put me on hold to speak to a supervisor) they said that if I make changes beyond this date that I will be subject to the new 1-stopover rule. I said I read online that this is not true, and the rep asked me where I read that information, so I backed off...not wanting to quote bloggers.
Old Aug 16, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
This is my concern on who to trust. If the old rules should apply but you will have to fight for it.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I swear I read somewhere reputable that old rules would apply, but I cannot any reputable source now.
Old Aug 16, 19, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by WKnight View Post
Well, you probably CAN do all 3 stops (SYD, NRT, HNL) but not with the routing you've chosen.

If you can change your outbound to go directly from YYZ-TPE instead of via YVR+LAX, then sure:
Great Circle Mapper -13,849 miles

For your inbound, if you can get to NRT more directly from SYD instead of thru SIN or BKK, then it will work. I'm not sure how much your taxes will JUMP up, but if you can find SYD-PVG on CA or SYD-ICN on OS, then it will fit:

Great Circle Mapper - 14,538 miles
Great Circle Mapper - 14,497 miles

Thank you for the great suggestion, this will open up for our family discussion. One quick question, both returns are more than 14k miles versus the 13,849 miles to SYD, wouldn't that make it over the MPM?

The main reason for routing through LAX to TPE so that the kids can enjoy the Hello Kitty flight.
Old Aug 16, 19, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I swear I read somewhere reputable that old rules would apply, but I cannot any reputable source now.
I definitely read that too and when I called in the agent I spoke to confirmed that it won't be an issue to change dates and retain the two stopovers. I just wasn't sure if it applies to all tickets (eg even one-ways changed to roundtrip) or only tickets that already had stopovers.

Last edited by Smiley90; Aug 19, 19 at 10:03 pm
Old Aug 16, 19, 2:56 pm

I want to fly from YVR to ZRH. I am checking flight availability by searching for one way flights.
Doing a search on the AP website yields: YVR-LHR (Stopover)-ZRH
If I do not want to stop at LHR, can I get around this by combining two flights, YVR-YUL and YUL-ZRH?
Would this pose an issues or is it valid with the RTW booking?
Old Aug 16, 19, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rxmoney View Post
I want to fly from YVR to ZRH. I am checking flight availability by searching for one way flights.
If I do not want to stop at LHR, can I get around this by combining two flights, YVR-YUL and YUL-ZRH?
as long as the connection in YUL is valid (e.g. above MCT which is... maybe 90mins in YUL? Not sure. Also needs to be below 24hrs to not count as a stopover) it's perfectly allowed.

It also can't take your entire flight from origin to destination above what's permitted (MPM) for origin-destination.
Old Aug 16, 19, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
yes, the website prefers AC flights so it can scam $$$ out of you. You will need to call in and pay the $34 booking fee to get the flights on Swiss.
Old Aug 17, 19, 8:58 am

You could also look at travelling via New York (or other eastern hubs).

I think the MPM gives you a fair bit of flexibility.
Old Aug 17, 19, 9:28 am

The bigger problem for YVR-YUL-ZRH connections is actually finding a flight that has good timing for that ZRH flight. The couple times I've booked it I've either had a 23 hour connection or had to leave Vancouver before 8 am
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:08 pm

Here's the updated plan:

YYZ-FRA(stop)-IST-SIN(dest)-PEK-YYZ

two questions:
1) does this work?
2) will it get hammered with fuel surcharge if i go yyz-fra and pek-yyz on AC? If i fly twice, do i get hit only once? might be worth it to cut down on connections
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crimsona View Post
The bigger problem for YVR-YUL-ZRH connections is actually finding a flight that has good timing for that ZRH flight. The couple times I've booked it I've either had a 23 hour connection or had to leave Vancouver before 8 am
You could always save it for the return, because ZRH-YUL-YVR has pretty good timing.
Old Aug 17, 19, 10:10 pm

I guess I've never flown back that way... mini rtw means I always come back from Asia...
Old Aug 18, 19, 8:51 am

Kind of a difficult thing to search for in the discussion, but given the Sept 1 changes, this potential trick may be more relevant for some of us:

Has anyone successfully booked a mini RTW with a layover in a city longer than 24 hours, but it still only counted as a 24 hour layover in aeroplan's rules due to the flight schedule of that airport? I believe the rule I read somewhere if the city has no other scheduled star alliance outgoing flights inside a 24 hour period after your arrival, if you book the next available one out, aeroplan counts it as a layover.

I spent a few hours trying to get this scenario to work last year, but never got to the point of calling it in, I think the only airport I found that may be practical was HNU (e.g. arrive on a Monday, fly to YVR on Wednesday). I'm sure there may be examples where it gives you a week long layover. Or if this is considered a trade secret, feel free to send me a PM!

Last edited by Fly1234; Aug 18, 19 at 9:03 am

Search this Thread