Mini RTW Questions

Old May 8, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
thanks for the help guys
Old May 8, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by opentag
YUL-ZRH on LX is often the best J flight to Europe with low YQ so perhaps make sure you're checking via UA reward search or EF to confirm if there is availability. Alternatively you *could* do this trip in the opposite direction of course. In which case YVR-TPE on BR would be the logical first leg I would say - then you'd need to find a flight for the other end of your trip from Europe to NA. Again, LX from ZRH-YUL might be where you should look.

Good luck!
thank you so much for your input!
i was thinking of doing the other way... I will definitely look into that as well!
Old May 8, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyT
thanks for the help guys.

So i can add more connections. Two of my flights are direct atm
the first and last that layover in TPE.

YYZ-HAN STOP Layover in TPE
HAN-BKK Destination Layover- SGN
BKK-KUL STOP Layover- SIN
KUL-YYZ Layover in TPE

would this be okay if there were flights that had these layovers.
And this would be max i could add to this trip?
I'm somehow trying to add HKG even if its for a few hours to this trip
Don't forget you can also fly CX on select routes in SE Asia.

Eligible routes operated by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon between Hong Kong and
  • Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • Phuket, Thailand
  • Bangkok, Thailand
  • Cebu, Philippines
  • Manila, Philippines
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
  • Hanoi, Vietnam
Old May 8, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Don't forget you can also fly CX on select routes in SE Asia.

Eligible routes operated by Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon between Hong Kong and
  • Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • Phuket, Thailand
  • Bangkok, Thailand
  • Cebu, Philippines
  • Manila, Philippines
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
  • Hanoi, Vietnam
Can you actually a) redeem on CX and b) redeem when not connecting to an AC flight though?
Old May 8, 2019, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Can you actually a) redeem on CX and b) redeem when not connecting to an AC flight though?
I'm not sure you can book it online. But you can do it over the phone, the same way you book a mini-rtw. To search for availability, you would need to use BA.com or another OW carrier. You can also use this same search process when redeeming AS points on CX.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
I'm not sure you can book it online. But you can do it over the phone, the same way you book a mini-rtw. To search for availability, you would need to use BA.com or another OW carrier. You can also use this same search process when redeeming AS points on CX.
So you are saying we can book BKK-HKG on CX and then *A onwards from HKG?

On a side note, is this valid for < 24h layover?

Mon AC1573 YYZ 0800 YEG 1004
Tues AC8137 YEG 1000 YYC 1053

Difference of 4 minutes.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by seks

On a side note, is this valid for < 24h layover?

Mon AC1573 YYZ 0800 YEG 1004
Tues AC8137 YEG 1000 YYC 1053

Difference of 4 minutes.
1) Correct.

2) Yes, literally any layover of 23:59h or less counts as a connection on an int'l itinerary.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:34 pm

I don't see why not.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:05 am

For a BKK-YVR-YYZ-YUL (POT)-YYZ (stop)-YYC (stop)-BKK ticket, I'm assuming this ticket get 2 complimentary checked baggages for the entire trip including the domestic segments?

How about for a YYC-YYZ-YUL (POT)-YYZ (stop)-YYC? Is there 1 complimentary checked baggage?

Last edited by seks; May 11, 2019 at 5:15 am
Old May 11, 2019, 7:18 am

For a BKK-YVR-YYZ-YUL (POT)-YYZ (stop)-YYC (stop)-BKK ticket, I'm assuming this ticket get 2 complimentary checked baggages for the entire trip including the domestic segments?

How about for a YYC-YYZ-YUL (POT)-YYZ (stop)-YYC? Is there 1 complimentary checked baggage?

depending which rule is applied to your ticket (most significant carrier or first marketing segment), you will get at least 1 checked baggage for the entire journey, since it's a ticket from international destination to Canada. you will need to figure the exact routing and carrier to figure that out. or the allowance info should be embedded in the ticket.

no, 0 bag. no free lunch for domestic award.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: hahaha
A slim exception is that the first bag is usually free on awards for Aeroplan branded credit card holders
Old May 11, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Just want to confirm that the maximum segment amount is indeed 16, not 10, right?

EDIT: And how is the tax calculated in a 10-16 segment trip? The reason I ask...YYZ-ZRH with a stopover in YUL costs $69. YYZ-YUL costs about $130 and YUL-ZRH another $130. So...why, and how do I avoid this when booking?

Last edited by Rykoshet; May 11, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Just want to confirm that the maximum segment amount is indeed 16, not 10, right?

EDIT: And how is the tax calculated in a 10-16 segment trip? The reason I ask...YYZ-ZRH with a stopover in YUL costs $69. YYZ-YUL costs about $130 and YUL-ZRH another $130. So...why, and how do I avoid this when booking?
You can get exact taxes by putting your itinerary in ITA. As long as its exact, you will get the taxes.

Now YQ - noone really knows - most of the time its reflective of revenue YQ. But since the money stays with AC, they have a scam where its charged origin-destination (and based on origin city), and doesnt really follow the non-scamchargeable list. For example YYZ-ZRH-JNB will charge you YYZ-JNB YQ, even though the second segment is on Swiss and not subject to YQ.
Rykoshet likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You can get exact taxes by putting your itinerary in ITA. As long as its exact, you will get the taxes.

Now YQ - noone really knows - most of the time its reflective of revenue YQ. But since the money stays with AC, they have a scam where its charged origin-destination (and based on origin city), and doesnt really follow the non-scamchargeable list. For example YYZ-ZRH-JNB will charge you YYZ-JNB YQ, even though the second segment is on Swiss and not subject to YQ.
Thanks. That's what didn't make sense to me. The YYZ-ZRH routing that goes through YUL and makes the transatlantic portion on Swiss metal charges less than the YYZ-ZRH Air Canada route. So I guess it's just random whether or not it applies and I shouldn't waste too much time trying to game it?
Old May 11, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Thanks. That's what didn't make sense to me. The YYZ-ZRH routing that goes through YUL and makes the transatlantic portion on Swiss metal charges less than the YYZ-ZRH Air Canada route. So I guess it's just random whether or not it applies and I shouldn't waste too much time trying to game it?
If there are no scamchargeable airlines involved, you can subtract all YQ from the ITA breakdown
If AC is only involved for a short domestic, or transborder segment, you can add $50 (approx), or maybe none if lucky
If AC is the longhaul carrier, you can assume origin-destination YQ no matter what the other segments are
if there are other YQ airlines involved, AC can charge you just based on that segment, or they can charge you origin-destination based on what AC YQ would be, or they can just make sh!t up since they keep all the money anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.