Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus
Also, you need to stop >24h to make a stop counts as a destination. I don't think an agent can override that (though I'm not sure)
No, you only need to tell the agent that you'd like to make JNB (or whichever airport you desire) to be your point of turnaround for MPM calculation. You can stay as little as 50 minutes or whatever the allowed MCT is.
monsieurcumulus likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by YYT82

No, you only need to tell the agent that you'd like to make JNB (or whichever airport you desire) to be your point of turnaround for MPM calculation. You can stay as little as 50 minutes or whatever the allowed MCT is.
I didn't know that! Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

I've had this fail before.

It validated at the first stage, but some later part of the process refused to accept a city as a destination if I didn't spend 24 hours there.

The agent could not get around the issue, so I had to re-work my itinerary.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've had this fail before.

It validated at the first stage, but some later part of the process refused to accept a city as a destination if I didn't spend 24 hours there.

The agent could not get around the issue, so I had to re-work my itinerary.
Now I'm curious. What was your itinerary like? Were you trying to go AAA-BBB-AAA?

It was as recent as six months ago when I tried using SIN as the POT, and staying for only 2 hours. It validated and got processed no issues.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC 75K

I'm not saying that you were able to do this, but I would be extremely surprised if this was standard practice, as that is not how airline ticketing works.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:51 pm

Now I'm curious. What was your itinerary like? Were you trying to go AAA-BBB-AAA?

It was as recent as six months ago when I tried using SIN as the POT, and staying for only 2 hours. It validated and got processed no issues.
I ended up flying SFO-LAX-ICN-BKK-FRA-LAX-SFO, and I think the original was roughly the reverse, with BKK being my intended destination, but my only 24+ hour stop was FRA. Error messages were cryptic about me being over MPM, but it was pretty clear the MPM offered was for SFO-FRA, not SFO-BKK.

I turned BKK into a 28 hour stop by flying the other direction (i.e. I had to get an entirely new set of flights), and it validated fine.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
a few things

a) it'll unfortunately impossible (or close to) to get SIN-JNB in SQ J, since that's not released to partners. SQ is EXTREMELY stingy about J outside of Asia/Oceania...
Ya SIN-JNB in J on SQ is available for my dates and some other close by. I would love to fly this segment for sure, and also the SFO-TPE on EVA J.

c) the even better news is that Japan definitely is within MPM:

JNB-HKG-TYO//YVR is 13140, JNB-PEK-TYO//YVR is 13268, that's plenty of space. I've played around with YVR-JNB a lot and there's some fun stuff you can do, like:

YVR-TYO-PVG-TPE-SIN-PER-JNB
Unfortunately there is no YVR-HND or YVR-NRT or YVR-KIX - direct flights available on aeroplan for my dates (Middle of July).
There is an AC (J) flight to SFO then straight to KIX but its on United in Y.
The one i like is via TPE on Eva J from SFO. Problem is YVR-SFO-TPE-KIX-JNB is 16,749mi (over the 16,362 mpm).

easy to get back via NBO too, e.g. JNB-NBO-ZRH-YUL-YVR at 11603
NBO-ZRH flights available; 2 stops 14h+. Best one i could find: NBO-ADD (ET-J) ADD-IST (TK-J) IST-ZRH (TK-J)
ZRH-YUL: ZRH-YYZ (AC-Y) - YYZ-YUL (AC-J)
12,559 - but not ideal flights.

what's the MPM for YVR-NBO? I can't imagine that that's not possible via Japan, that should work via e.g. YVR-TYO-BKK-ADD-NBO?
YVR-NBO mpm is 14,273.
I did also plan a route like this out, but again it requires a cash ticker to Japan from TPE.
YVR-SFO-TPE-HKG-ADD-NBO (13,532) - but its 2 flights in J on Ethiopian, i prefer the SIN-JNB J on SQ.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by aleks77
Ya SIN-JNB in J on SQ is available for my dates and some other close by. I would love to fly this segment for sure, and also the SFO-TPE on EVA J.

Unfortunately there is no YVR-HND or YVR-NRT or YVR-KIX - direct flights available on aeroplan for my dates (Middle of July).
The one i like is via TPE on Eva J from SFO. Problem is YVR-SFO-TPE-KIX-JNB is 16,749mi (over the 16,362 mpm).

NBO-ZRH flights available; 2 stops 14h+. Best one i could find: NBO-ADD (ET-J) ADD-IST (TK-J) IST-ZRH (TK-J)
ZRH-YUL: ZRH-YYZ (AC-Y) - YYZ-YUL (AC-J)
12,559 - but not ideal flights.

YVR-NBO mpm is 14,273.
I did also plan a route like this out, but again it requires a cash ticker to Japan from TPE.
YVR-SFO-TPE-HKG-ADD-NBO (13,532) - but its 2 flights in J on Ethiopian, i prefer the SIN-JNB J on SQ.
Ah, didn't know you had set dates already. if SIN-JNB is available on SQ then take that!

Did you check YVR-PEK? or YVR-ICN/PVG/etc? SFO-TPE throws a big detour into the mileage so that's probably why it's tricky, but any YVR-ASIA flight should help reduce the mileage, if you can find a flight, since you don't have to backtrack twice. (to SFO and from TPE)

Is there no SFO/LAX-TYO available with ANA/UA/SQ either? SQ flies a 5th freedom flight LAX-TYO that's sometimes available for booking, too.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K

What about routing via ICN? It would mean an extra stop to get to Japan, but I see some LAX-ICN available in mid-July.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
What about routing via ICN? It would mean an extra stop to get to Japan, but I see some LAX-ICN available in mid-July.
Great find, there is F available on OZ which i would LOVE to try. However the MPM for YVR-LAX-ICN-HND-SIN-JNB is 16,497 (over the 16,362 allowed).
Cant find any availability for ICN-KIX either, not in Y or J. I know OZ flies that route but nothing comes up on Aeroplan.
I could buy cash ticket for YVR-LAX-YVR leg and try to build the trip with LAX-JNB mpm of 16,585
Or stop in ICN and do cash tickets to Japan and back to ICN. So YVR-LAX-ICN-SIN-JNB is (15,323)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Ah, didn't know you had set dates already. if SIN-JNB is available on SQ then take that!

Did you check YVR-PEK? or YVR-ICN/PVG/etc? SFO-TPE throws a big detour into the mileage so that's probably why it's tricky, but any YVR-ASIA flight should help reduce the mileage, if you can find a flight, since you don't have to backtrack twice. (to SFO and from TPE)

Is there no SFO/LAX-TYO available with ANA/UA/SQ either? SQ flies a 5th freedom flight LAX-TYO that's sometimes available for booking, too.
Available direct for my dates which are either Evening of July 18 or anytime July 19;
YVR-PEK - AC - J - $553 for two in fees.
No direct SFO/LAX-TYO. There is a single J seat with ANA - LAX-HND.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus

For @aleks77, my opinion is that you are a bit late to plan all this and it's unlikely you can make the deal of your life to make the perfect *free* honeymoon. If you are ready to put some money, I would suggest to look at something like this:

YVR-Tokyo <you make your own reservations for travel to Kyoto or elsewhere>
Tokyo-Africa (would suggest ADD) <from there you make, you can buy tickets to make a triangle ADD-NBO-SEZ-ADD>
Africa (same airport as above) - Canada (maybe YUL or YOW if you can't find someto YVR) <and you buy an intra-Canada flight>

That makes 1 stop, 1 destination and 1 open-jaw.
Ya i understand its a bit late and im not looking for a "free" honeymoon honestly, i am willing to spend money on this!

Which product is better, OZ First class or EVA Business? Both Trans-Pacific flights.

Last edited by aleks77; Mar 7, 2019 at 9:09 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:15 pm

Ya i understand its a bit late and im not looking for a "free" honeymoon honestly, i am willing to spend money on this!

Which product is better, OZ First class or EVA Business? Both Trans-Pacific flights.
My vote would be for BR J.

I personally don't feel OZ F is worse the extra points.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:23 am

It depends on the itinerary. I regularly book round-trips or mini-rtws in F, where the only easily bookable space from the west coast to Asia is OZ F. Since I'm already booking the whole thing in F, I'll take OZ F over BR J.

But with the demise of UA F, I agree OZ F is one of the more mediocre F products bookable with Aeroplan.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:40 pm

This will be our first business/first class trip, and being its our Honeymoon I think we will splurge on First Class and try EVA another time! Now what other First class products can i possibly try on the way to JNB/NBO and back home? Is Thai F for 6 hours worth a slight detour/extra stop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.