Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
MPM for MLE is 14, 270
Outbound
Return

I have no idea if AI flies DEL-NBO n/s.
If not, you may have to route through CAI and buy a separate ticket to NBO.
May be possible to open jaw CAI/NBO.
Connection in IST will put you over MPM.
Apparently July/August is monsoon/rainy season in the Maldives. Is there any way i can make this trip work with a stop in the South Pacific? Fiji, Tahiti, Cook islands?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by aleks77
Apparently July/August is monsoon/rainy season in the Maldives. Is there any way i can make this trip work with a stop in the South Pacific? Fiji, Tahiti, Cook islands?
if you can find award space but i'd say the chances are very slim
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
It should be easy to get to Australia or New Zealand and buy a ticket from there with cash.
August in the Seychelles was perfect.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
It should be easy to get to Australia or New Zealand and buy a ticket from there with cash.
August in the Seychelles was perfect.
Exactly what I was thinking, however I cant find a way/routing that will allow me to also visit Kenya on the same trip. Ideally would love to cross both Atlantic and pacific to really make this a mini-RTW trip.
Also looking to fly as much First Class as possible, so far only able to get ANA First class (LAX-HND) and Thai First class (HND-BKK).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly what I was thinking, however I cant find a way/routing that will allow me to also visit Kenya on the same trip. Ideally would love to cross both Atlantic and pacific to really make this a mini-RTW trip.
Also looking to fly as much First Class as possible, so far only able to get ANA First class (LAX-HND) and Thai First class (HND-BKK).
Depending on where you want to go, or leave Kenya out - you could make a trip to visit 3 continents departing from East Coast.

Here is the trip I booked in Mid Jan for travel in Sept/Oct - it crosses both the Atlantic (twice) and Pacific (once)

MIA-LIS-VCE TP J stopover
VCE-IST-SIN TK J overnight layover at SIN by design
SIN-PER SQ J destination / turnaround
PER-SIN SQ J overnight layover at SIN by design
SIN-HKG SQ J stopover
HKG-TPE-IAH BR J 10 hrs layover due to only morning flt HKG-TPE has J but with 3 luggage storage facilities at TPE and the train goes direct to Taipei main train station in city center, should be relatively easy to spend a few hours in town before catching the TPE-IAH, then overnight layover the only option to connect to
IAH-FLL the lousy UA Y. Almost certain we would be stuck in UA Y on the last leg. Have never been able to get any UA J with either Aeroplan or UA own mile on the UA domestic leg in recent years when it is a segment in a J award itinerary. At least this is only Midcon and get us home in early afternoon.

There are a few K's miles to spare to do zigzag if wanted, because MIA-PER is over 18K. However we only want to get to where we want to go, not trying to hit as many airports as possible like some here have planned so. Though some itineraries are really clever, like a layover at Dubrovnik for 10 hours - that is more than enough to get the highlights of the historic town even if the poster is a fan of Game of Throne!
You may want to read the thread of Successfully booked itineraries to get some idea. It may open up your mind on the possibilities.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Happy
Depending on where you want to go, or leave Kenya out - you could make a trip to visit 3 continents departing from East Coast.

Here is the trip I booked in Mid Jan for travel in Sept/Oct - it crosses both the Atlantic (twice) and Pacific (once)

MIA-LIS-VCE TP J stopover
VCE-IST-SIN TK J overnight layover at SIN by design
SIN-PER SQ J destination / turnaround
PER-SIN SQ J overnight layover at SIN by design
SIN-HKG SQ J stopover
HKG-TPE-IAH BR J 10 hrs layover due to only morning flt HKG-TPE has J but with 3 luggage storage facilities at TPE and the train goes direct to Taipei main train station in city center, should be relatively easy to spend a few hours in town before catching the TPE-IAH, then overnight layover the only option to connect to
IAH-FLL the lousy UA Y. Almost certain we would be stuck in UA Y on the last leg. Have never been able to get any UA J with either Aeroplan or UA own mile on the UA domestic leg in recent years when it is a segment in a J award itinerary. At least this is only Midcon and get us home in early afternoon.

There are a few K's miles to spare to do zigzag if wanted, because MIA-PER is over 18K. However we only want to get to where we want to go, not trying to hit as many airports as possible like some here have planned so. Though some itineraries are really clever, like a layover at Dubrovnik for 10 hours - that is more than enough to get the highlights of the historic town even if the poster is a fan of Game of Throne!
You may want to read the thread of Successfully booked itineraries to get some idea. It may open up your mind on the possibilities.
I fail to see where you cross the Atlantic twice, unless you are counting the Gulf of Mexico.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AC 75K
For Tahiti and Cook Islands, you can route via AKL and do AKL-PPT-SFO on NZ/UA or AKL-RAR-LAX on NZ (I believe RAR-LAX only operates 1x/week).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I fail to see where you cross the Atlantic twice, unless you are counting the Gulf of Mexico.
Ooops sorry; I forgot to say that if you put South America in the mix you could cross oceans 3 times but we opted to an itinerary that is for places we actually want to go instead of covering as much distance as we could.

Something along the line as JFK-LIS-IST-EZE-AKL-PER-SIN-TPE-JFK might work.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
For Tahiti and Cook Islands, you can route via AKL and do AKL-PPT-SFO on NZ/UA or AKL-RAR-LAX on NZ (I believe RAR-LAX only operates 1x/week).
Literally zero availability for July/August for a PPT-SFO flight or the RAR-LAX.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:27 pm

Ok so going YVR-HND is not as important anymore, just realized there is only 1 ANA first class seat available on the LAX-HND Route. I'd like to fly 2 first class products on this trip, otherwise just going to stick to all business and save the Miles.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:39 am

Just booked in J:
Out: YVR-YUL-ZRH-BUD-IST-(stop)-BKK-SIN
IN: SIN-KIX-YVR

I was hoping for SIN-KIX-TPE-YVR but there's no availability in August. What are the chances of EVA opening up TPE-YVR in J? When does EVA usually open up J?

There's a SIN-KIX-TPE-SEA-YVR which was available but the last SEA-YVR is an overnight layover in Seattle and I'll have 3-checked bags from from KIX. What are the chances of TPE-YVR opening up in early August? Should I just take the long overnight in SEA?

There's also a TPE-YVR flight in Y, but if I'm flying J on other segments, does EVA upgrade based on availability?

The other question I have:

Flying Asia to Canada in J gives me 3-pieces of luggage I believe. If one of my legs is economy ( for example SEA-YVR or KIX-TPE ) do I still have the same luggage allowance?

Last edited by bluemeansgo; Mar 4, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:20 am

Ok got another plan for the honeymoon, this is a Mini-RTW, but so far only 1 way planned out. What are your guys opinions? Unfortunately I couldnt include Japan at all, would be over MPM for YVR-JNB, so only stopping in TPE to get to Japan for 7 days, and to get to SEZ is impossible, so doing that as a seprate ticket also. JNB is kind of a wasted "stop" but i need it for MPMs. I know its not ideal, but I really cant figure out any other way to do this. MPM for YVR-JNB is 16,362 - this trip below is 14,647. Places we are visiting; Japan (7 days), Kenya (5 days), Seychelles (4 days).

YVR-SFO - AC - J
SFO-TPE - EVA - J - *STOP
TPE-HND - Seperate Ticket in Cash (economy)
KIX-TPE - Seperate Ticket in Cash (economy)
TPE-SIN - EVA - J
SIN-JNB - SQ - J - *DESTINATION, not staying heading straight to NBO
JNB-NBO - SA - J - *STOP*
NBO-SEZ - Seperate Ticket in Cash (economy)
SEZ-NBO - Seperate Ticket in Cash (economy)

Then home somehow. Cheers!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Ok got another plan for the honeymoon, this is a Mini-RTW, but so far only 1 way planned out. What are your guys opinions? Unfortunately I couldnt include Japan at all, would be over MPM for YVR-JNB, so only stopping in TPE to get to Japan for 7 days, and to get to SEZ is impossible, so doing that as a seprate ticket also. JNB is kind of a wasted "stop" but i need it for MPMs. I know its not ideal, but I really cant figure out any other way to do this. MPM for YVR-JNB is 16,362 - this trip below is 14,647. Places we are visiting; Japan (7 days), Kenya (5 days), Seychelles (4 days).

YVR-SFO - AC - J
TPE-SIN - EVA - J

a few things

a) it'll unfortunately impossible (or close to) to get SIN-JNB in SQ J, since that's not released to partners. SQ is EXTREMELY stingy about J outside of Asia/Oceania...
b) the good news is that you can still make the MPM work by flying SAA via HKG/PER or CA via PEK.
c) the even better news is that Japan definitely is within MPM:

JNB-HKG-TYO//YVR is 13140, JNB-PEK-TYO//YVR is 13268, that's plenty of space. I've played around with YVR-JNB a lot and there's some fun stuff you can do, like:

YVR-TYO-PVG-TPE-SIN-PER-JNB

easy to get back via NBO too, e.g. JNB-NBO-ZRH-YUL-YVR at 11603

you MIGHT be able to make it work to include SEZ, but since the only *A flights I can see are via ADD it needs to be on the destination, and I'm not sure what the MPM for SEZ is.. and if that's even possible going via Japan.

what's the MPM for YVR-NBO? I can't imagine that that's not possible via Japan, that should work via e.g. YVR-TYO-BKK-ADD-NBO?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
a few things

a) it'll unfortunately impossible (or close to) to get SIN-JNB in SQ J, since that's not released to partners. SQ is EXTREMELY stingy about J outside of Asia/Oceania...
SIN-JNB is one exception, there was plenty of availability for next fall. I'm booked myself on a mini-RTW that includes that segment.

YUL-ORD AC J
ORD-TPE BR J
TPE-SIN SQ J <24h
SIN-DPS SQ J Destination
DPS-SIN SQ J
SIN-JNB SQ J Stop
JNB-ADD ET J
ADD-IST ET J Stop
IST-VIE TK J <24h
VIE-YUL OS J

For @aleks77, my opinion is that you are a bit late to plan all this and it's unlikely you can make the deal of your life to make the perfect *free* honeymoon. If you are ready to put some money, I would suggest to look at something like this:

YVR-Tokyo <you make your own reservations for travel to Kyoto or elsewhere>
Tokyo-Africa (would suggest ADD) <from there you make, you can buy tickets to make a triangle ADD-NBO-SEZ-ADD>
Africa (same airport as above) - Canada (maybe YUL or YOW if you can't find someto YVR) <and you buy an intra-Canada flight>

That makes 1 stop, 1 destination and 1 open-jaw.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond

YVR-SFO - AC - J
TPE-SIN - EVA - J

Also, you need to stop >24h to make a stop counts as a destination. I don't think an agent can override that (though I'm not sure)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.