HKT-FRA (less than 24h)
FRA-ZRH -STOP
ZRH-YUL (less than 24h)
YUL-YTZ
No.

Only 1 stop-over with an open-jaw.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by jfacowns
I'm having a hell of a time finding a good way to get from TLV to BKK. Google flights shows 1 direct flight from a star alliance carrier on the day i'd like to leave, but it's El Al so, no go. Routing has be going back to IST -- TLV-IST-SIN-BKK, 2 stops, which is maybe a little much. If i decided to do this, i would not be able to if my knowledge is correct with hitting the same destination twice. If you do this, they have to be separate on both sides of your destination, no?
El AL is not *A.

There are many more routing options for getting from TLV to BKK. You can't go back to IST, so you're left with ZRH, FRA and ADD.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Is this rule always enforced now? I was able to do 1OJ in Japan and then 2 stops (China and South Korea) a year ago. I may have been lucky though
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Hey folks, pretty experienced mini-RTW booker here, but doing a trip for the in-laws to SYD and need some initial advice. They are flying J, and lie-flat long-haul is mandatory (therefore no YVR-HND). They are coming from West Coast (YVR). I know YVR-SYD is near impossible, but they are retired and connections aren't an issue. Based on my research, the best West Coast to Australia trips generally involve a trip to Asia (China, Japan, Hong Kong), then Southeast Asia (BKK/SIN etc), then SYD. Am I correct? Can they come home through Europe or do they need to come back across the Pacific?
Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Hey folks, pretty experienced mini-RTW booker here, but doing a trip for the in-laws to SYD and need some initial advice. They are flying J, and lie-flat long-haul is mandatory (therefore no YVR-HND). They are coming from West Coast (YVR). I know YVR-SYD is near impossible, but they are retired and connections aren't an issue. Based on my research, the best West Coast to Australia trips generally involve a trip to Asia (China, Japan, Hong Kong), then Southeast Asia (BKK/SIN etc), then SYD. Am I correct? Can they come home through Europe or do they need to come back across the Pacific?
Thanks.
I'm not sure you can make YVR-SYD via europe work because of MPM - e.g. YVR-SYD MPM is 12417 and even a fairly direct routing like YVR-FRA-SIN-SYD gets you to 15333.

If 1 connection is okay you actually have a LOT of options under MPM:

direct
IAH
AKL
ICN
HND (I believe in the summer it has proper lie-flats?)
LAX
SFO
PVG

If 2 connections are okay then it expands even more as there's a LOT of TPAC-routings via e.g. SFO/LAX. But yes, generally there'll be a flight intra-asia or intra-NA.

The alternative would be booking a flight with e.g. PER as the destination and paying for the PER-SYD roundtrip by another means (e.g. Avios), then it's feasible to return via europe.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thanks.
- YVR-SYD isn't impossible to get if you book as soon as AE/AC load their inventory, but otherwise indeed next to impossible

- you're correct that routing via Asia opens up many more opens and availability is much better (though still not an easy award to piec etogether if you want to avoid Chinese airlines)

- routing via Europe from the West Coast is almost guaranteed to be over MPM
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
By any chance, would YYZ Australia be permitted via Europe both ways
YYZ-CDG-BKK-PER
SYD-PEK-ZRH-YUL-YTZ

I am afraid the outbound seems fine while the return may be over limit
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by djskynet
By any chance, would YYZ Australia be permitted via Europe both ways
YYZ-CDG-BKK-PER
SYD-PEK-ZRH-YUL-YTZ

I am afraid the outbound seems fine while the return may be over limit
Should be fine.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:12 pm

I see they've recently removed LOT from showing as well which does not help my cause.
Are you saying LOT availability is gone altogether or just limited. Or is the lower fuel fees on LOT flights eliminated?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:24 pm

Thanks.
What dates are you looking for?
Are they only wanting to go to Australia, or other destinations too?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:17 pm

From YVR mpm to Australia is always an issue, maybe better now since they made a single value instead of the official ones before
​​​​​​
book one way out of Australia and YQ is minimal. Booking roundtrip YVR to Australia on AC would be north of 800 probably

There's Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne now, I believe
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Are you saying LOT availability is gone altogether or just limited. Or is the lower fuel fees on LOT flights eliminated?
I have not seen ANY LOT availability for several weeks now. Not a single one.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
El AL is not *A.

There are many more routing options for getting from TLV to BKK. You can't go back to IST, so you're left with ZRH, FRA and ADD.
Will any of those invalidate the route? Having a tough time understanding this business of having to travel in the same general direction. Searched this threat quite a bit and can't find any clarity on why this is allowed. I've seen before that it is specifically not allowed to divert from your general direction
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:05 pm

Will any of those invalidate the route? Having a tough time understanding this business of having to travel in the same general direction. Searched this threat quite a bit and can't find any clarity on why this is allowed. I've seen before that it is specifically not allowed to divert from your general direction
No such requirement.

As long as you don't transit same city twice in one direction, and don't go over MPM, doesn't matter whether you backtrack.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
From YVR mpm to Australia is always an issue, maybe better now since they made a single value instead of the official ones before
​​​​​
I just finished a mini rtw.
Stopover was BNE, ​​​​​​destination was Thailand.
YVR-BNE-SIN-BKK..........Europe.......North America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.