Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC A
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I don't believe CX is in Star Alliance and therefor not bookable. I know it runs some code shares, but I don't believe these are eligible for redemption.
There are a few routes bookable with Aeroplan from HKG on CX, or so they say. I am going to try and book on this Mini RTW and see what they say.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Not sure what the deal with Swiss Global is but I've definitely seen SFO-ZRH bookable. The problem is usually with Aeroplan seeing availability last (later than UA even), for no good reason at all, so it can be tough to find. Check out YVR-YUL-ZRH routing as an alternative, that one finding LX availability is usually easier and you still get low-YQ, all lie-flats too. (Arguably even better than via SFO since you an skip the comparatively uncomfortable YVR-SFO)
Thanks for the input. Do I understand it correctly then, that if my initial segments to get to my first stop is YVR-YUL (AC) layover then YUL-ZRH (LX), the surcharges is still based on LX instead of AC (i.e. minimal)?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by zephyr7
Thanks for the input. Do I understand it correctly then, that if my initial segments to get to my first stop is YVR-YUL (AC) layover then YUL-ZRH (LX), the surcharges is still based on LX instead of AC (i.e. minimal)?
Correct - AC surcharges on domestic segments is comparatively small, only their international flights have them jacked up. I think I paid something like 70CAD in YQ for a YVR-YYZ roundtrip in J a few months ago.

I don't remember if it's "YQ is based on individual segments" or "YQ is based on main TATL/TPAC" carrier - but either way, YVR-YUL-ZRH should have minimal surcharges, I've looked that itinerary up a lot of times (see my location haha)

If you want more options also look into connecting at ORD or EWR, both of which also offer low-YQ routings! But only YVR-YUL-ZRH is all lie-flats so definitely the nicest, at the cost of not having a long overnight. Whatever you prefer for sleep and comfort, really.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Correct - AC surcharges on domestic segments is comparatively small, only their international flights have them jacked up. I think I paid something like 70CAD in YQ for a YVR-YYZ roundtrip in J a few months ago.

I don't remember if it's "YQ is based on individual segments" or "YQ is based on main TATL/TPAC" carrier - but either way, YVR-YUL-ZRH should have minimal surcharges, I've looked that itinerary up a lot of times (see my location haha)

If you want more options also look into connecting at ORD or EWR, both of which also offer low-YQ routings! But only YVR-YUL-ZRH is all lie-flats so definitely the nicest, at the cost of not having a long overnight. Whatever you prefer for sleep and comfort, really.
Searching up the YUL connection reminded me why I filtered them out... I saw them in the original searches but the layover of 9 hours is not something we would enjoy... granted many will see this as an opportunity to explore Montreal, but we are aiming to rest well on the long haul flight instead. Is there any shorter layover connection via YUL I should be searching for using specific criteria?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by zephyr7
Searching up the YUL connection reminded me why I filtered them out... I saw them in the original searches but the layover of 9 hours is not something we would enjoy... granted many will see this as an opportunity to explore Montreal, but we are aiming to rest well on the long haul flight instead. Is there any shorter layover connection via YUL I should be searching for using specific criteria?
AC300 to LX87 has a 50min connection, unfortunately I don't think the earlier YVR-YUL flight has lie-flats... I can pull the connection up on Google flights so I'm guessing it's legal, albeit very tight.

Alternatives are also ORD and EWR, so check those out too! Nothing inherently bad about SFO aside from probably being the longest flight time side tie essentially flying the wrong way. But I'm actually flying ZRH-SFO-YVR next weekend so who am I to talk...
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:55 am

I'm looking to book May 2018- June 2018 a mini-rtw to maximise first class flights. I'm not too picky on the destination, I want to see if I can get as many F long haul class flights.

I ended up booking
YVR-LAX J
LAX-ICN F 20hr layover to explore the city
ICN-KIX J 17hr layover to eat seafood
KIX-PEK J stopover
PEK-JNB F Destination
JNB-GRU J
GRU-EZE J stopover
EZE-YYZ J 15hr layover to eat some food
YYZ-YVR J
$450 in taxes
now to figure out what i wanna do in these places.

Last edited by snipegunner; Dec 27, 2017 at 1:02 pm Reason: edit
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:21 pm

Hi all,
I'm hoping to get some advice on how to approach a concern that has popped up on a recent trip I've booked through AP.

The itinerary reads as:
YVR > YYZ J AC
YYZ > ORD Y AC
ORD > IST J TK - Destination
IST > TGD J TK - Stop
TGD > VIE J OS
VIE > ZAG J OS - Stop
ZAG > CPH Y OU
CPH > ORD J SK
ORD > YVR J AC

At the time of booking (Nov) there was nothing wrong and it all went through fine.

I went into the ap site over the Christmas break to look at doing some seat selections and do some confirmations. Normally, I'd go to Manage my Rewards, and under my booked travel rewards the seat selection link would show up after a small processing time. It didn't this time and its just an empty grey bar with no option to look at the itinerary in more detail and/or "select seats". I didn't think much of it. A few days later I looked again and it still behaved the same way.

I went to Air Canada's site to look at the booking (with the confirmation code provided to me) and I noticed that one of my flights had been changed
The change looks to have been for my final leg ORD > YVR (AC8041) where the time was moved up 2 hours. This means I arrive AFTER this new flight departs now. So I'm guessing why this is causing aeroplan's travel rewards to fail in bringing up my itinerary.

My challenge now is I'm not sure how to handle this change. I had a quick look and I can't seem to find any easy way to get home to YVR from ORD on that day.
There are a few mixed cabin or Y options to get home with long overnight layovers (though I wasn't able to find anything direct).

Before calling in, do I have much recourse? I wasn't notified of the change and now (kind of) stranded or will need to take a less desirable route back. I'm not sure what to even ask for when I call in? Does AP do any sort of compensation or what not because of this?

TIA!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by emustyle
Hi all,
I'm hoping to get some advice on how to approach a concern that has popped up on a recent trip I've booked through AP.

The itinerary reads as:
YVR > YYZ J AC
YYZ > ORD Y AC
ORD > IST J TK - Destination
IST > TGD J TK - Stop
TGD > VIE J OS
VIE > ZAG J OS - Stop
ZAG > CPH Y OU
CPH > ORD J SK
ORD > YVR J AC

At the time of booking (Nov) there was nothing wrong and it all went through fine.

I went into the ap site over the Christmas break to look at doing some seat selections and do some confirmations. Normally, I'd go to Manage my Rewards, and under my booked travel rewards the seat selection link would show up after a small processing time. It didn't this time and its just an empty grey bar with no option to look at the itinerary in more detail and/or "select seats". I didn't think much of it. A few days later I looked again and it still behaved the same way.

I went to Air Canada's site to look at the booking (with the confirmation code provided to me) and I noticed that one of my flights had been changed
The change looks to have been for my final leg ORD > YVR (AC8041) where the time was moved up 2 hours. This means I arrive AFTER this new flight departs now. So I'm guessing why this is causing aeroplan's travel rewards to fail in bringing up my itinerary.

My challenge now is I'm not sure how to handle this change. I had a quick look and I can't seem to find any easy way to get home to YVR from ORD on that day.
There are a few mixed cabin or Y options to get home with long overnight layovers (though I wasn't able to find anything direct).

Before calling in, do I have much recourse? I wasn't notified of the change and now (kind of) stranded or will need to take a less desirable route back. I'm not sure what to even ask for when I call in? Does AP do any sort of compensation or what not because of this?

TIA!
Call in, point out the impossibility of your new itinerary and have them change it to something acceptable. This is an involuntary change, and it's their problem to fix.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AC 75K
Also note that Aeroplan can open up space on AC flights but generally won't for other airlines. Keeping this in mind, you could try and change your return to a more direct routing. eg: ZAG-FRA-YVR (assuming ZAG-FRA has award availability).

Before you call, check to see what's available online and if required offer up alternatives to the agent that are acceptable to you.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Dec 28, 2017 at 9:52 am
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:10 am

If you can cut out a stop via Frankfurt or Paris or London, that would be ideal. Involuntary changes you shouldn't be charged for YQ
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:15 pm

Thanks Guys,

I'll give them a call tonight. If there's a way to avoid redoing the transatlantic flight that'd be my preference, I was looking forward to seeing what the SAS J product would be like!

Thanks for the advice, its nice to know what would be reasonable or not to ask for!

Thanks again!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:43 pm

Hi, I'm trying to book the 2nd leg of my RTW from EBB - KTM. When I enter into the AE search, the only options are generally on ET via ADD in Y. I want to avoid ADD airport and economy of course. I can find separate flights from EBB - IST and then approx 12 hrs later IST - KTM all in J on TK. I have read in the past that when calling in, you can "feed the flights" to the agent. I am assuming this means if they cannot find it by entering EBB - KTM, I can advise her of these alternate separate flights. Is this correct? Do the agents accept this process?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:22 pm

Yes, you can call to book TK business.

Aeroplan has been blocking ET business class for several months now, on all routes and all dates. Calling will not help. Aeroplan will not book ET business class, even though it is showing available on other programs like LifeMiles or ANA.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Question... I have my routing decided, can choose all of the flights with one-ways online. The taxes and fees shown add up to around $450... when I call to book, the fees are over $800. How come?

This is what I see...
AC3 YVR-NRT $89.91
TG641 NRT-BKK $49.90
TG451 BKK-MEL $97.30
SG238/NH802 MEL-SIN-NRT $113.40
AC4 NRT-YVR $107.10
Total $457.61

Why is it so much more when I book it together?

Ron.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by newfbc
Question... I have my routing decided, can choose all of the flights with one-ways online. The taxes and fees shown add up to around $450... when I call to book, the fees are over $800. How come?

This is what I see...
AC3 YVR-NRT $89.91
TG641 NRT-BKK $49.90
TG451 BKK-MEL $97.30
SG238/NH802 MEL-SIN-NRT $113.40
AC4 NRT-YVR $107.10
Total $457.61

Why is it so much more when I book it together?

Ron.
Explanation 1: Because the whole concept of fuel surcharges is a scam and the way Aeroplan calculates fuel surchares is akin to witchcraft.

Explanation 2: Fuel surcharges are based on origin-destination, not the YQ for each segment. Eg. YVR-NRT and NRT-BKK may not have any fuel surcharges when booked separately, but if NRT is only a connection (not a stopover) Aeroplan may charge you the fuel surcharges for YVR-BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.