Mini RTW Questions

Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I think you should be OK since all the other segments are non-YQ or small YQ.

I did some tests.... AC to Tokyo, NH to HKG and whatever else back to YYZ

AC + NH + OS (via VIE) YQ=415

AC + NH + OZ (via ICN) YQ=179

AC + NH + AC YQ= 59

AC + NH + UA YQ= 30
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
I think you should be OK since all the other segments are non-YQ or small YQ.

I did some tests.... AC to Tokyo, NH to HKG and whatever else back to YYZ

AC + NH + OS (via VIE) YQ=415

AC + NH + OZ (via ICN) YQ=179

AC + NH + AC YQ= 59

AC + NH + UA YQ= 30
Thank you for your reply and info! I will give it a try.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:57 pm

YQ to SIN vs HKG

Hi All,

I am looking to book 2 J tickets YYC-DXB-SIN-TPE-YYC for March 2018.

I have found the following flights which total ~$700 in taxes.
YYC-FRA on AC
FRA-IST-DXB on TK
DXB-DEL on Air India
DEL-SIN on SQ
SIN-TPE on Eva Air
TPE-SFO on Eva Air
SFO-YYC on AC

If I swap out SIN for HKG as a stop over instead with all the other segments staying the same the taxes drop down to ~$250, why is that considering I am flying all the same airlines? Is there a way to lower the taxes and stop in SIN instead of HKG?

Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by Jenny JT
Hi All,

I am looking to book 2 J tickets YYC-DXB-SIN-TPE-YYC for March 2018.

I have found the following flights which total ~$700 in taxes.
YYC-FRA on AC
FRA-IST-DXB on TK
DXB-DEL on Air India
DEL-SIN on SQ
SIN-TPE on Eva Air
TPE-SFO on Eva Air
SFO-YYC on AC

If I swap out SIN for HKG as a stop over instead with all the other segments staying the same the taxes drop down to ~$250, why is that considering I am flying all the same airlines? Is there a way to lower the taxes and stop in SIN instead of HKG?

Thanks!
Hong Kong regulates fuel surcharges so any flights stopping (not just connecting) in HKG don't have fuel surcharges. No such luck in SIN.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:37 am

I don't think stopping is good enough. Based on Aeroplan's coding, Hong Kong had to be destination to really see reductions in YQ
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: TK*G, AC
Originally Posted by crimsona
I don't think stopping is good enough. Based on Aeroplan's coding, Hong Kong had to be destination to really see reductions in YQ
Ah, good point. Poor wording on my part. The only flight with significant YQ should be the YYC-FRA (and maybe DXB-DEL) and if HKG is the destination, that YQ should be reduced. With SIN as the destination the full AC YQ is charged.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K
I had the following itinerary all mapped out and ready to book:

IAH-IST-MUC (stop) MUC-JNB-CPT (turnaround) CPT-JNB-NBO (stop) NBO-IST-IAH

Then I noticed the point of turnaround may be NBO since IAH-NBO is 8,744miles and IAH-CPT is 8,622 miles. I would then be transiting through JNB twice on the outbound, which would violate the routing rules I presume... anyone had any luck with designating the POT as not the furthest stop from your origin when the mileages are this close?

I can prob solve by making my origin more northern (ORD) but thought I'd ask FT first.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:28 am

Turn is always calculated on furthest from origin, not your choice
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:57 am

Can't remember if I've read this or not. I'm looking at flying cities A-B-C. One direct option A-B, then there is a direct flight B-C, but it isn't daily. There are daily options from B-D-C. I remember reading sometime in the past few years that you can exceed 24 hours in a city without it counting as one of the 3 stops if there are no flights within that 24 hour period of time. Would that count in this case when there are options of connector flights? I can't remember if this was only if there was one option into that city (like flying Warsaw - Kaliningrad on LOT) though...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Flight Change Options

Hi, Everyone,

Ihad the following all-J itinerary on March 10, 2018:

YYZ-SEA AC J
SEA-ICN OZ J
ICN-HKG OZ J

The morning AC flight is gone, which will obviously cause the mis-connect in SEA. Looking on the AP mobile site, I see:
YYZ-TPE-HKG (all J, with a long layover in TPE)
or YYZ-Tokyo-HKG (AC J, NH in Y).

I really want to fly OZ and especially the 744 upper deck. BR is a great option, but I've flown it enough times.

Any other recourse? Perhaps ask for YYZ-HKG direct? That's available for 590K on market fare. I am only E50K for now, and don't want to pay any scam charges.

The rest of my trip (to Europe) is unaffected.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
Hi, Everyone,

Ihad the following all-J itinerary on March 10, 2018:

YYZ-SEA AC J
SEA-ICN OZ J
ICN-HKG OZ J

The morning AC flight is gone, which will obviously cause the mis-connect in SEA. Looking on the AP mobile site, I see:
YYZ-TPE-HKG (all J, with a long layover in TPE)
or YYZ-Tokyo-HKG (AC J, NH in Y).

I really want to fly OZ and especially the 744 upper deck. BR is a great option, but I've flown it enough times.

Any other recourse? Perhaps ask for YYZ-HKG direct? That's available for 590K on market fare. I am only E50K for now, and don't want to pay any scam charges.

The rest of my trip (to Europe) is unaffected.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!
AC YYZ-SEA gone? how?

I'd ask AP/AC for YYZ-HKG direct (AC to open up J space)
otherwise, go nuts on options since you won't pay YQ or change fees
but I imagine you paid a bit YQ originally flying OZ? so changing to BR may result in some refunds
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:23 am

I was on AC543 and was supposed to depart at 8 AM.

The evening flight AC541 departs YYZ at 19:25 and shows up under my AC App flight tracked list. AC543 is gone.

EDIT on Aug 30:

Now that I'm home and have access to a PC, I see that AC flies YYZ-SEA once daily at 19:25, and it's upgauged to an A320 from the E190.

The two best options still seem to be:
1. AC15 YYZ-HKG direct J (Market fare pricing, but I can force them to open up a seat)

2. BR35 YYZ-TPE-HKG J (long layover, but I can head into the city to have Ice Monster and Beef noodles)

Are there any other options I'm not seeing, such as YYZ-LAX/SFO-ICN-HKG using AC/OZ?

OZ was one of the primary reasons I booked this itinerary as I haven't flown them before.

Originally Posted by jerryhung
AC YYZ-SEA gone? how?

I'd ask AP/AC for YYZ-HKG direct (AC to open up J space)
otherwise, go nuts on options since you won't pay YQ or change fees
but I imagine you paid a bit YQ originally flying OZ? so changing to BR may result in some refunds

Last edited by TTC192Rocket; Aug 30, 2017 at 4:57 am
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:20 am

Recalculating Fuel Surcharges/Airport Taxes/Security Fees

So I called into AP to get my above flights changed. Both the AC and BR changes were available, but when I asked how much YQ and airport taxes I'd be getting back, the agent replied that I'd get none.

Is he/she correct? I mentioned I'm not transiting the US nor South Korea any longer, nor am I traveling on OZ, but they would not refund any taxes/fees.

I then said since I'm paying for it, then why don't I do YYZ-TPE-ICN-HKG, and that was workable. It's needless backtracking, though.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
So I called into AP to get my above flights changed. Both the AC and BR changes were available, but when I asked how much YQ and airport taxes I'd be getting back, the agent replied that I'd get none.

Is he/she correct? I mentioned I'm not transiting the US nor South Korea any longer, nor am I traveling on OZ, but they would not refund any taxes/fees.

I then said since I'm paying for it, then why don't I do YYZ-TPE-ICN-HKG, and that was workable. It's needless backtracking, though.
YQ is not recalculated after the first segment is flown.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:35 am

My flight is in March 2018 and is affected by a schedule change causing a mis-connect.

Originally Posted by echino
YQ is not recalculated after the first segment is flown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.