Mini RTW Questions

Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Shanqx
If I do:
YYZ-BRU SN (stop)
BRU-ZRH LX
ZRH-PVG LX (destination)
PVG-KIX NH (stop)
KIX-YYZ AC

Can I contact LX directly to hold BRU-ZRH for 1 year, in turn create an open-jaw, without contacting AP? (to avoid the change fee)

like this:
YYZ-BRU SN (open jaw)
BRU-ZRH LX
ZRH-PVG LX (destination)
PVG-KIX NH (stop)
KIX-YYZ AC
Still need help with this. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
I'm considering a change to a mini-RTW I have booked. I want to change my ALA-ICN-CTS flight to ALA-ICN-NGO/NGO-CTS so I have 23h20m in Nagoya. I'll be arriving in J on OZ but departing in Y on NH (because they never release domestic J).

Does anyone know the rules around checked bags in this situation?
Will they hold my bags for the overnight connection?
Will NH make me pay big $$$ to re-check at NGO (I'll have one oversize and one normal bag)?
Will I get the (most significant carrier) J allowance or the domestic Y allowance?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Shanqx
Still need help with this. Much appreciated.
No, they'll tell you to contact AP.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Has anyone recently succeeded in booking a ticket with less than 24 hours at the POT?

Two agents couldn't get their system to finalize the booking, and the support desk said it wasn't possible.

I think part of the issue may have been that I do have a 24+ hour stopover at a different point, but I'm a little tired after almost 2 hours on the phone with Aeroplan, so don't really want to try to piece together another itinerary with no stopover.

Basically, I have 5 days off for US Thanksgiving, and I want to fly around the world. I'm happy to spend time on the ground wherever, but I obviously have to build the schedule around the availability of O space, which is why I can't "stop" at the POT.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:36 pm

Interesting, how is that any different from a return ticket from a to b to a with with less than 24 at b? Maybe because AP charges points from a location to a location and it must be based on the stop you make which then becomes POT. Therefore the return leg is above the allowed miles.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Nov 6, 2016 at 4:43 pm
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Interesting, how is that any different from a return ticket from a to b to a with with less than 24 at b? Maybe because AP charges points from a location to a location and it must be based on the stop you make which then becomes POT. Therefore the return leg is above the allowed miles.
Yeah I don't really get it. I've certainly done it before.

I think I've found an alternate route (well, west instead of east, basically) that gives me a true "stop" at my POT, as well as a stop elsewhere such that I may be able to visit a friend, so I can work around it.

It's just annoying.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:41 pm

Is there some kind of rule about backtracking ? Is it forbidden, allowed in some cases, allowed depending on how much you backtrack ?
Any experiences ?
I'm thinking of ...SIN-HKG-TPE-HNR-ICN-JFK... on my way back home. Is the backtracking to ICN that bad ? :P Thank you guys !
Old Nov 9, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by rodriarano
Is there some kind of rule about backtracking ? Is it forbidden, allowed in some cases, allowed depending on how much you backtrack ?
Any experiences ?
I'm thinking of ...SIN-HKG-TPE-HNR-ICN-JFK... on my way back home. Is the backtracking to ICN that bad ? :P Thank you guys !
Backtracking isn't forbidden on its own, so much as the mileage rules are designed to limit it.

Assuming that you meant Haneda, as opposed to flying from Taipei to rural Iowa, you might be okay, but overall mileage flown, evaluated against the allowable distance from origin to destination, is the deciding factor here.

So, for example, SIN-HND-ICN-JFK *might* be allowed, but SIN-HND-TPE-JFK would almost certainly be out of the question.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Backtracking isn't forbidden on its own, so much as the mileage rules are designed to limit it.

Assuming that you meant Haneda, as opposed to flying from Taipei to rural Iowa, you might be okay, but overall mileage flown, evaluated against the allowable distance from origin to destination, is the deciding factor here.

So, for example, SIN-HND-ICN-JFK *might* be allowed, but SIN-HND-TPE-JFK would almost certainly be out of the question.
LOL, yes HND :P
Ok, great, thank you for the insight !
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: aeroplan
mini RTW itineraries including map

Can anyone point me to the location where you can put one or more airport codes into great circle mapper and it will give you routes containing (your input location(s) mini rtw itineraries that are valid. Perhaps its not on GCM itself but another link (even here).
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by krod
Can anyone point me to the location where you can put one or more airport codes into great circle mapper and it will give you routes containing (your input location(s) mini rtw itineraries that are valid. Perhaps its not on GCM itself but another link (even here).
http://www.airmilescalculator.com/di...ra-to-cdg-bcn/

Edit the URL as needed.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by gwplant
yvr-yyz ac
yyz-ist ta
ist-bkk ta
bkk-tpe ev
tpe-yvr ev

Booked online, surprising YVR-YUL-IST only $66 in fees.
How do you book this online when Aeroplan only lets you set up 3 different flights in multi-city??

Anyone know if I can book this online? If so how

YVR - SFO
SFO - ICN
ICN- HKG
HKG - NRT
NRT - YVR
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by laddielad
How do you book this online when Aeroplan only lets you set up 3 different flights in multi-city??

Anyone know if I can book this online? If so how

YVR - SFO
SFO - ICN
ICN- HKG
HKG - NRT
NRT - YVR
You can't book this online, if you want to stop in ICN, HKG and NRT.

Gonna have to eat the $30 booking fee.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:40 pm

I never tried to book mini-RTW but planning for a trip next Christmas.
I am thinking the following route, would someone be able to tell me if it is possible?

YYC -> YVR
YVR -> TPE (stop)
TPE -> KIX
KIX -> CST (stop)
CST -> HND
HND -> HKG (dest)
HKG -> YVR
YYR -> YYC

Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ah Cho
I never tried to book mini-RTW but planning for a trip next Christmas.
I am thinking the following route, would someone be able to tell me if it is possible?

YYC -> YVR
YVR -> TPE (stop)
TPE -> KIX
KIX -> CST (stop)
CST -> HND
HND -> HKG (dest)
HKG -> YVR
YYR -> YYC

Thanks a lot.
Canada-Taiwan-Japan-Fiji-Japan-Hong-Kong-Canada?

Not a chance. You're over by probably 40%.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.