Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:57 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

I'm thinking double open jaw won't be allowed, and then, open jaw in Europe is illegal, as well?
If I recall correctly, it's only one open jaw permitted - which can count as a one of the two stops.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
I was recently told (by AE agent) the open jaw needs to be at the destination.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by YQMer
Not at all. The open jaw can be anywhere, not just at the point of turnaround/destination.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
If I recall correctly, it's only one open jaw permitted - which can count as a one of the two stops.
Yeah I think you are right about this. I was thinking same but briefly became a bit hopeful

Originally Posted by YQMer
Originally Posted by mapleg
Not at all. The open jaw can be anywhere, not just at the point of turnaround/destination.
Correct. OJ can be anywhere - now that I think about it, on one of my trips, I landed in CGN or GVA but departed from FRA, so intra-Europe OJ is permitted, too.

So seeing as I can't do two OJs but want to visit LHR and was hoping to stop by CGN... any suggestions? I thought of YUL-ZRH-CGN (stop), U2 RT to GAT, and continue onwards to IST.... except there is no ZRH-CGN.

I guess only other option is YUL-FRA? Besides not having any availability on AC on that the YQ will be murder... sigh
Old Jul 4, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Sitting at my computer reflecting on the massive devaluations of the mini-rtw in the past year. Last year at this time I was able to book one with long hauls on LX YUL-ZRH-HKG, then transpac with NH-all in F. Life was good, and it seemed a great way to spend 120k miles. Taxes/fees were reasonable.

Fast forward to July 2012---I am sitting on about 250k miles and want to use them for another mini-rtw with Mrsmapleg accompanying me. Of course, now it has to be in J.

Looking at travelling May 2013--the trip is really to Japan with a stop in HKG at Mrsmapleg's request...not sure about the 3rd stop...probably in Europe, but I could be convinced to swap that out for Thailand or Singapore if need be. Last time I flew YYZ to HKG via ZRH, and found it quite tiring..might have been smarter to spend a few days in Europe.

My initial thoughts are this--LX (YUL-ZRH) to get to Europe, although I am also considering SK from either ORD or EWR . I won't say the total goal is to avoid YQ, but hey, it is an important consideration. I will pay it on a shorter haul, but I don't really want to shell out large $$ for YQ when it can be avoided. Some reviews of SK say the seats are not the greatest, but I think we could handle them for a shorter flight of 7-8 hours without a problem.

From Europe to either BKK/HKG it looks like again, either SK or LX depending on availability.

Getting to Japan from HKG is no problem...but coming back from Japan it is either UA or NH--while I very much prefer NH, not sure I want to spring for $800 and up in YQ/tax when I can fly the same route via UA. The other thing I don't like about the UA flights back from Japan are they generally arrive late in the afternoon making it difficult to get a same day flight back to YYZ.

I know there are other possibilities like TK to IST and then onwards to SIN/BKK, but availability does not seem there for my dates (or they have not released inventory yet, not sure). Don't see a lot of UA/US across the Atlantic either.

Just putting this out there to see if I am missing anything in the planning. Hope to book it in the next 30-60 days or so.

Last edited by mapleg; Jul 4, 2012 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:52 pm

Can I do the following.
YYZ-PVG (STOP) - lots of ways to get to PVG (via Atlantic or Pacific)
PVG-ICN-CEB
Open jaw CEB-SIN – I will find my own way to SIN
SIN-YYZ - lots of ways to get to back to YYZ (via Atlantic or Pacific)

My real concern is the fact I am open jawing between CEB-SIN, with CEB being in Asia2 and SIN in Asia1. Is there a problem with that? Is there an overall problem with my planned itinerary?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by concol
My real concern is the fact I am open jawing between CEB-SIN, with CEB being in Asia2 and SIN in Asia1. Is there a problem with that?
The open jaw needs to be in same IATA zone (which it is). The Aeroplan award zones don't matter.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by concol
Can I do the following.
YYZ-PVG (STOP) - lots of ways to get to PVG (via Atlantic or Pacific)
PVG-ICN-CEB
Open jaw CEB-SIN – I will find my own way to SIN
SIN-YYZ - lots of ways to get to back to YYZ (via Atlantic or Pacific)

My real concern is the fact I am open jawing between CEB-SIN, with CEB being in Asia2 and SIN in Asia1. Is there a problem with that? Is there an overall problem with my planned itinerary?
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
The open jaw needs to be in same IATA zone (which it is). The Aeroplan award zones don't matter.
Thanks - now the fun part starts. Tying to find space in J on the dates I want.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: aerplan elite
business class on Thai available on ANA and united but not on aeroplan

I am booked in economy class on business class reward ticket on July 12 Bkk to MXP on Thai airways, ANA and united are showing availability in business but aeroplan agents see no availability. Any body has any experience with this kind of situation?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:43 pm

Changes to point of turnaround on AE mini-RTW?

Is it possible to change your point of turnaround when doing a AE mini-RTW ticket once you have started travel?

We have done one leg of our point of travel but would prefer to make SIN our point of turnaround rather then BKK or better yet open jaw (fly into SIN, fly out of BKK) but the AE agent told me this was not possible as we have already started travel and any destinations changes are not possible?

Is this true?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
The problem is stopovers

I don't think they allow you to change due to stopover considerations

On a mini RTW you are allowed a turnaround plus 2 stopovers.

When you do an open jaw you then lose a stopover.

A funny aside as I am doing similiar stops but due to the wonderful post advising the sin airlines F class releases I made the following changes

Original

8/1 YYZ- NRT J
8/2 NRT-ICN F stopover
8/6 ICN-BKK turnaround

8/23 BKK-FRA F class Thai stopover
8/27 FRA-MIA F class
8/28 MIA-PHL-YYZ we are skipping this and spending 2 weeks in MIA.these flights are on US air first class which is 2 steps lower than coach on Air Transat

My new routing

8/1 YYZ-SFO AC executive first
8/1 SFO-ICN SIN Airlines F class didn't even know they flew this route
8/6 ICN-SIN SiN F class

8/23 sin-BKK-FRA f class

Rest is the same

While there on separate tickets we are doing

BKK-DPS( Bali)
DPS-KUL
KUL-REP ( Siam Reap)
REP-HAN
HAN -SIN

Anyways good luck
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:06 pm

Can someone please help me understand MPM?

I know that LAX-BKK MPM + 5% is 10,402 via the Pacific, and 14,925 via the Atlantic. Since my outbound will be TPAC and my inbound TATL, I'm not sure which applies to me. I know there's no problem with my outbound:

LAX-ICN-NRT
NRT-BKK

But the agent told me my inbound wasn't valid:

BKK-HKG-SIN-FRA
FRA-LAX

According to great circle mappers, the mileage on that is 14,833 so if they're using the 14,925 number it should be valid. Just barely, but still.

When I brought up these numbers the agent said that in 10 years she had ever heard of such a thing and neither had her supervisor. Then she chastised me saying that it was inappropriate for me to be bringing up the numbers in the first place.

If someone could tell me if my route is valid or not and give the explanation for it, I'd really appreciate it.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Is LAX-BKK transatlantic a valid routing at all? If not, then the TPAC MPM will apply for sure.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:28 pm

Every agent I've spoken to has agreed that my "no-frills" version of the return (BKK-FRA-LAX) is valid. Since that comes in at 11,405 I'm not sure how they could be going by the 10,402 number.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
you are going in reverse by going from BKK-HKG-Europe. You must continue in the homeward direction not east then west. However if it is published routing then you are fine.

I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.