Mini RTW Questions

Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AZbba
Has anyone had luck with getting put on different airlines due to schedule changes.

We have a RTW booked with an (originally 7:40pm) lax-san (our destination) on united, but that changed to 11:51pm and there are no united flights earlier. There is an AA flight at 6:55. Would Aeroplan be likely to put us on that one? Going to call tomorrow just want to get an idea of if it's even possible.
Absent A/C and all partners canceling flights to your destination they will not move you to another airline. To do so would cost them a good bit of money. Heck, even if A/C and partners stop flying there they probably won't, but that's the only situation where it would be even considered.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by AZbba
Has anyone had luck with getting put on different airlines due to schedule changes.

We have a RTW booked with an (originally 7:40pm) lax-san (our destination) on united, but that changed to 11:51pm and there are no united flights earlier. There is an AA flight at 6:55. Would Aeroplan be likely to put us on that one? Going to call tomorrow just want to get an idea of if it's even possible.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Absent A/C and all partners canceling flights to your destination they will not move you to another airline. To do so would cost them a good bit of money. Heck, even if A/C and partners stop flying there they probably won't, but that's the only situation where it would be even considered.
You'll never get voluntarily put on a non-Star flight unless something very serious happens.

That said, I had a market fare redemption on YUL-LGA two months ago, and my AC flight was delayed about 1.5 hours. It wasn't the end of the world but I was basically losing an evening in LGA. So I asked the checkin agent to be rerouted "somehow" ... and he put me on a DL flight departing shortly. I was really surprised, considering he had the option of using UA to EWR, or AC to JFK, etc - DL just seemed to not be the logical choice here. So I gained some AS miles in the process. Haha.

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 5, 2014 at 7:45 pm Reason: content
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Asiana Club
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Looks interesting. Planning to do something similar from YYC.

What is your total time to your first stop as no overnight is shown. And like wise how long that is take to get back without an overnight?
Is CHC-AKL open jaw on purpose or could not find a connection?
Hi 1 Newflyer...
So, options from New Zealand to east coast are 22-23 hours of flying if going threw Sydney, as opposed to going threw Asia/Taipei or Europe,that's around 31-32 hours of flying time...

So for the YQB to SIN leg, it's 21 hours of flying, then stop in SIN for 48h, and then 10 hours to CHC....
The return was possible from CHC (and available) but we wanted the open jaw as we plan on exploring both island from south to north...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: TK M&S E, *A Gold, AP, Asia Miles, Nexus, Marriott Silver
Would anyone know if the following itinerary is valid?

YYZ - TPE (stop 1) - HKG (Point of Turn-around) - KIX (Open Jaw)/HND - YYZ

Cheers!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Yes. Looks valid.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
Yes. Looks valid.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by yyzcdg
Would anyone know if the following itinerary is valid?

YYZ - TPE (stop 1) - HKG (Point of Turn-around) - KIX (Open Jaw)/HND - YYZ

Cheers!
Yes. Looks valid.
Thanks for the quick reply!
No wait!!!!!!

YYZ-HKG is about 900 miles longer than YYZ-KIX. Therefore, HKG is your destination. Therefore, you CANNOT open jaw in KIX.

I've been successful in convincing agents to let me open jaw in Japan (ie OKA to KIX) but it's a hit and miss so don't try it. However, why don't you just fly? You could do HKG-KIX, then (depending on where you are in Kansai) KIX/ITM/UKB (Kobe)-HND, then HND-onwards (also, ITM is about 10,000x easier to get to than KIX). Unless you explicitly WANT to take the shinkansen.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
YYZ-HKG is about 900 miles longer than YYZ-KIX. Therefore, HKG is your destination. Therefore, you CANNOT open jaw in KIX.
Ah - good catch. Didn't check the distances.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:55 pm

No wait!!!!!!

I've been successful in convincing agents to let me open jaw in Japan (ie OKA to KIX) but it's a hit and miss so don't try it. However, why don't you just fly? You could do HKG-KIX, then (depending on where you are in Kansai) KIX/ITM/UKB (Kobe)-HND, then HND-onwards (also, ITM is about 10,000x easier to get to than KIX). Unless you explicitly WANT to take the shinkansen.

Does the open-jaw segment need to be the destination? I thought a stopover and an open-jaw, plus the point of turn-around were allowable. We were wanting to go to Kyoto and Tokyo and would prefer not to take the shinkansen both ways. Flying KIX-HND will make it 3 stopovers.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:55 pm

Ah - good catch. Didn't check the distances.
Happens to be a routing similar to what I fly a lot, so I'm well aware of KIX never being the destination
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:57 pm

Does the open-jaw segment need to be the destination? I thought a stopover and an open-jaw, plus the point of turn-around were allowable. We were wanting to go to Kyoto and Tokyo and would prefer not to take the shinkansen both ways. Flying KIX-HND will make it 3 stopovers.
Your open jaw must be on the departure or destination, per their rules, which they have been kind of stickier to lately.

What is your exact routing with stops?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:11 pm

Your open jaw must be on the departure or destination, per their rules, which they have been kind of stickier to lately.

What is your exact routing with stops?
Currently we are ticketed in J:
YYZ-TPE BR 35 (turnaround)
TPE-NRT BR198 (stop)
HND-YYZ - AC 6

We were wanting to change to add HKG and switch to KIX

YYZ-TPE BR 35 (STOP)
TPE-HKG BR 867 (turnaround)
HKG-KIX NH176 (Open-jaw)
HND-YYZ AC 6
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Only 1 stop allowed with OJ; you have 2 that you want...unless you are planning to only connect in HKG...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:50 pm

That effectively gives you four stops including the surface sector. Taipei, Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo, whereas Aeroplan allows three. I can see why it would be denied
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: *void
Too many stops, and as PseudoN has already noted, HKG is your destination/turnaround, so you'd have to OJ there. You've got KIX as the OJ, which won't be allowed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.