Mini RTW Questions

Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by jimindc
This may be a bit o/t, so let me know if so. Now that one-way awards are priced the same as 50% of roundtrip, does anyone know if it's possible to include a stopover on a one-way award? I tried some US-Europe routings on the Aeroplan website using the multi-city search (e.g. IAD-LHR-LIS) and they kept coming up as "invalid". Do you think I'll have better luck over the phone, or are stopovers not allowed on one-ways?
Sadly, that rule has not changed. They could have at least added that to make the "enhancements" suck less, but they did not.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by jimindc
This may be a bit o/t, so let me know if so. Now that one-way awards are priced the same as 50% of roundtrip, does anyone know if it's possible to include a stopover on a one-way award? I tried some US-Europe routings on the Aeroplan website using the multi-city search (e.g. IAD-LHR-LIS) and they kept coming up as "invalid". Do you think I'll have better luck over the phone, or are stopovers not allowed on one-ways?
I just looked this up a few days ago, unfortunately no.

According to
http://www3.aeroplan.com/terms_and_c...tion=rewardair

Flight Reward Travel Involving a Stopover/Open Jaw

26. Stopovers are not permitted on one-way flight rewards.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:10 am

Bummer. Thanks for the responses!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:19 pm

Hey guys! I've been accumulating my Aeroplans miles over the past year thanks to a ton of traveling for work. Now it's time to fulfill one of my dreams and head to the Australian Open (tennis) in January 2015!

I know it's early to buy the tickets, but I was trying some combinations today on the Air Can website and I had questions as to why my trip wouldn't work.

My goal would be to do:

YUL-AKL-SYD-MEL-YUL. This inclures two stopovers so it could maybe be done through the phone (confirmation?). Would SYD be considered outside of the 'way' of the YUL-MEL trip (I think it is the longest one by mileage)?

YUL-AKL-MEL-YUL was working, so I could always get some return flight from MEL-SYD in the middle of my trip, but I feel like that would kinda ruin the idea of getting more out of my buck.

Anyone can help?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by cdpoulin
Hey guys! I've been accumulating my Aeroplans miles over the past year thanks to a ton of traveling for work. Now it's time to fulfill one of my dreams and head to the Australian Open (tennis) in January 2015!

I know it's early to buy the tickets, but I was trying some combinations today on the Air Can website and I had questions as to why my trip wouldn't work.

My goal would be to do:

YUL-AKL-SYD-MEL-YUL. This inclures two stopovers so it could maybe be done through the phone (confirmation?). Would SYD be considered outside of the 'way' of the YUL-MEL trip (I think it is the longest one by mileage)?

YUL-AKL-MEL-YUL was working, so I could always get some return flight from MEL-SYD in the middle of my trip, but I feel like that would kinda ruin the idea of getting more out of my buck.

Anyone can help?

Thanks a lot!
You can not fly across Australia on points.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:54 pm

The United flight to MEL has a (fuel?) stop in Sydney anyways. Although I'm not sure if you can stop in Sydney while heading to MEL (United probably can't transport people within Australia only). It'll likely be YUL-SFO-SYD-MEL (turnaround)-AKL stop - SYD stop - SFO-YUL. If you have a stop in AKL it should be ok? Only economy available to and from AKL though

But good luck getting seats, United seats are rarer than hen's teeth

EDIT: MEL-AKL-SYD-SFO/YVR-YUL is within mpm5... barely

Last edited by crimsona; Jan 9, 2014 at 6:03 pm
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:24 am

Thanks for your help!

The one issue I have is that, as I go for tennis tournaments to follow a friend playing them, the tournament order (Auckland-Sydney-Melbourne) can't be changed.

Therefore I should probably just get the main flights with points (with stops in MEL and AKL or SYD and AKL) and also stop in one of the layover cities for a few days (Singapore/SFO/LA/MUNICH were options) and then take an internal return flight for MEL-SYD.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
If you fly YYZ-SYD as your overall route, you'll get a lot more flexibility in flights, especially if going via Europe (MPM5 is bigger). May require some locally bought flights within Australia, though those are relatively cheap.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:24 pm

Mini RTW Questions

if I am on an award booking from YUL-SFO 1hr15 connection in SFO then onto SYD If the earlier flight arrives too late what will realistically happen? apart from missing the flight
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
The airline on which you fly YUL-SFO (so presumably AC) will get you to your destination. It'll be their responsibility to rebook you.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:47 pm

Mini RTW Questions

in that case could I do:
yul-sfo-syd-akl stop
akl-syd stop
syd-sin stop
sin-lax-yul

or is that too much back tracking?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
if I am on an award booking from YUL-SFO 1hr15 connection in SFO then onto SYD If the earlier flight arrives too late what will realistically happen? apart from missing the flight
Then you might luck out since if they have to rebook and have no space, they'd put you into a paid fare, which means you might even get points off that flight
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Then you might luck out since if they have to rebook and have no space, they'd put you into a paid fare, which means you might even get points off that flight
Is my itinary valid though since I am going through SYD twice
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:14 pm

Is my itinary valid though since I am going through SYD twice
Thrice, it looks. Won't work.

You can transit a city twice just fine on either side of your destination, but not within one routing. So you can do SYD twice on each side of the AKL destination, but you can't do it twice after you depart AKL.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Thrice, it looks. Won't work.

You can transit a city twice just fine on either side of your destination, but not within one routing. So you can do SYD twice on each side of the AKL destination, but you can't do it twice after you depart AKL.
?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.