Mini RTW Questions

Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:23 pm

If you're looking to go to AKL, have SYD as your turnaround, then go SYD-AKL-PVG/NRT-IST-YYZ

Saves you from buying a separate ticket
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:40 am

Mini RTW Questions

if buying an Aeroplan reward ticket between Europe 1-2 does the two stop stopover + destination apply?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
if buying an Aeroplan reward ticket between Europe 1-2 does the two stop stopover + destination apply?
Yup, anytime it's "international" (ie not transborder).
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:47 am

Mini RTW Questions

what is your take on an Aeroplan RTW ticket assuming I want to hit Africa, Europe and Asia. two stop overs might not be enough.....
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
what is your take on an Aeroplan RTW ticket assuming I want to hit Africa, Europe and Asia. two stop overs might not be enough.....
Honestly? Not worth the points. It's 300,000 points (business) or 200K (economy) for a true RTW ticket. Even if you HAVE the points, it's not worth it because:

1. You can book a mini-RTW from North America to Australia. This will allow you a stop in Europe and in Africa before you get to Australia.
2. Make it so that the European stop is very long. Book a SECOND ticket, Europe->Asia.

Now you have spent 160K + 105K in business, or 155K in economy for two tickets, except you now have the following stops: begin in Canada, stop in Europe, stop 2 times in Asia + 1 destination, stop in Africa, destination in Australia. That's SIX stops, whereas you only get five with a RTW ticket. Of course, the other benefit is that you don't have to fly in any particular direction, whereas with the RTW ticket you must be careful to never backtrack, which could be hard (i.e. finding return space from Australia over the Pacific... as we have all seen in this thread, it's probably easier to return over Europe despite it taking literally forever).

So no, I do not advise true RTW tickets Unfortunately, the way I describe requires significantly more planning.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:49 am

Ok so If I want to stop in the following places:

- Europe
- Africa
- Open Jaw (taking trans-siberian railway)
- India
- Asia
- Australia .

I was thinking somewhere along the lines as this

- YUL-ZRH-JNB STOP
- JNB - CAI <24hrs - DUB <24hrs - IST Open Jaw
- Europe 1/2
- Moscow - Bejiing ( Trans Siberian)
- ASIA 1/2 - somehow get to India..any ideas since Asia 1/2 won't get me that far
- Then SQ to Australia (booked through Krisflyer)
- NRT-ORD-YUL

So this would include the following
- mini RTW with destination JNB
- Europe 1/2
- Asia 1/2

Any thoughts on this?

thanks

Alex
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:46 pm

Mini RTW Questions

any advice on the above. Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:53 pm

Looks complicated, so I can't provide a quick opinion. Just remember: open jaw is permitted ONLY at origin OR destination. So if you are booking Canada - JNB, then you can OJ either in Canada, or in JNB. You also can't openjaw between Aeroplan zones, so you can't openjaw from JNB to Moscow or IST to Moscow.

What you can maybe do is something like this: Canada - Istanbul, stop, buy cheap ticket to Moscow, trans siberian to Beijing, then new ticket: Beijing - Australia - Singapore (open jaw at origin, destination Australia), then maybe Avios points for a one-way Singapore-India-Istanbul, then continue to JNB.

Alternatively: Canada - Moscow, stop, do the train thing, one-way Beijing - India, buy cheap ticket to Moscow, continue Moscow - Istanbul - JNB, stop, then JNB - Singapore, Australia. And I haven't even touched the return, so maybe you could do something there.

Sorry for the vagueness, just throwing out ideas.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Looks complicated, so I can't provide a quick opinion. Just remember: open jaw is permitted ONLY at origin OR destination. So if you are booking Canada - JNB, then you can OJ either in Canada, or in JNB. You also can't openjaw between Aeroplan zones, so you can't openjaw from JNB to Moscow or IST to Moscow.

What you can maybe do is something like this: Canada - Istanbul, stop, buy cheap ticket to Moscow, trans siberian to Beijing, then new ticket: Beijing - Australia - Singapore (open jaw at origin, destination Australia), then maybe Avios points for a one-way Singapore-India-Istanbul, then continue to JNB.

Alternatively: Canada - Moscow, stop, do the train thing, one-way Beijing - India, buy cheap ticket to Moscow, continue Moscow - Istanbul - JNB, stop, then JNB - Singapore, Australia. And I haven't even touched the return, so maybe you could do something there.

Sorry for the vagueness, just throwing out ideas.
Perfect this points me in the right direction. Will not be doing this one for a few years but at least lets me know which points to accumute. Thanks again for your help!
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:29 pm
yeg

Is this a valid itinery?
YYZ-LIMstop-GRU-JNB stop-PER-SYD turn/stop-ICN-LAX-YYZ
17840 out
14191 back
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Outbound is fine. Return exceeds MPM5 (which is 12,177 over the Pacific). SYD-ICN-LAX-YYZ might be a published routing for OZ, but I'm not sure.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
The tale of 2 AP agents

Tried AP call centre over the weekend and again more frustration. I called to get info on allowable routings SYD-to either EZE or GRU. The 1st agent I spoke with was very nice and said there was no published routing and they would need to work something out and offered SYD-SIN/BKK-IST-GRU-EZE (apparently Turkish do a tag on flight from GRU to EZE which would work perfect as I want to visit both)there was also the discussion of possible SYD-SIN/BKK-JNB-GRU, also mentioned was LIS/FRA/MUC as possible ways. Unfortunately the line was cut and I called back and the chap I spoke when asked the same query immediately said it is not for us to give you routings you need to provide to us and we can only validate-wow thanks! He then said the only way to get to South America from Australia is via the Pacific via YVR/LAX/SFO, I also asked about flights ex PER as SA flies PER-JNB-GRU and he said no.

I wonder who is right and how do I find out?

Last month I booked a SYD-PVG flight and the 1st 2 agents said a stop in TPE was not poss, I now have it ticketed and am doing TPE by confirming with 2 other agents, which was great but by the time I found them to sort it out all SQ J space was gone (SQ have removed all J international space which is mind boggling frustrating, so TG and EVA I go). I am aware of the HUCA but it is so frustrating to have such different answers you have no idea who to believe.

Does anyone know if I can get to EZE/GRU other than via Pacific=UA/AC? I would like to fly via Asia/Africa or Europe.

Thanks for any tips and any help.

SYD/YYZ
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:56 pm
yeg

Thanks KrayZpaving
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by SYD/YYZ
Tried AP call centre over the weekend and again more frustration. I called to get info on allowable routings SYD-to either EZE or GRU. The 1st agent I spoke with was very nice and said there was no published routing and they would need to work something out and offered SYD-SIN/BKK-IST-GRU-EZE (apparently Turkish do a tag on flight from GRU to EZE which would work perfect as I want to visit both)there was also the discussion of possible SYD-SIN/BKK-JNB-GRU, also mentioned was LIS/FRA/MUC as possible ways. Unfortunately the line was cut and I called back and the chap I spoke when asked the same query immediately said it is not for us to give you routings you need to provide to us and we can only validate-wow thanks! He then said the only way to get to South America from Australia is via the Pacific via YVR/LAX/SFO, I also asked about flights ex PER as SA flies PER-JNB-GRU and he said no.

I wonder who is right and how do I find out?

Last month I booked a SYD-PVG flight and the 1st 2 agents said a stop in TPE was not poss, I now have it ticketed and am doing TPE by confirming with 2 other agents, which was great but by the time I found them to sort it out all SQ J space was gone (SQ have removed all J international space which is mind boggling frustrating, so TG and EVA I go). I am aware of the HUCA but it is so frustrating to have such different answers you have no idea who to believe.

Does anyone know if I can get to EZE/GRU other than via Pacific=UA/AC? I would like to fly via Asia/Africa or Europe.

Thanks for any tips and any help.

SYD/YYZ
The rule is ALWAYS: HUACA. Always persist. Your example proves the point. Try at different times and days to get different call centers. The 2nd agent is lazy, while some are just not very knowledgeable that's all. PER-JNB should be fine if available.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by yeg
Is this a valid itinery?
YYZ-LIMstop-GRU-JNB stop-PER-SYD turn/stop-ICN-LAX-YYZ
17840 out
14191 back
and how to fly PER-SYD?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.