FRA-BKK TG F
BKK-SYD TG F

SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-SIN SQ J
SIN-DEL SQ F (!)
DEL-ZRH LX J
ZRH-YUL LX J
YUL-YYZ AC J

After talking to a few people, figured it was better to visit St. Petersburg over Moscow.

With this itinerary I'm heartbroken that I'll lose the ICN-JFK in OZ F in their latest enclosed suite product. But those feelings of heartbreak are lessened because:

1. I get to try SQ F on SIN-DEL which has the long-haul product
2. I get to leave from SYD - getting to PER is expensive. And I get to fly TG F SYD-BKK.
3. I plan on changing DEL-ZRH-YUL to DEL-MUC-YUL in LH F (these two routes have good availability and will open once my travel has started, so no extra scam charges!)
4. I gain an extra stopover somewhere in Europe as I have no OJ

I'm banking on YUL-MUC opening up in F (so I don't have to pay another change fee), but I'm flexible to change to leave to MUC from any US city - so no way to avoid that scamcharge as that's my first day of travel.

I'm also hoping to get FRA-KIX-BKK in LH/TG F - FRA-BKK LH F has completely dried up in F availability for a few months now.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by echino
I tried searching, one seat no problem, but never seen two seats. Any chance of getting two F seats on any route?
No idea. Never actually used points for NH F.

I know CA F has 2 seats available sometimes for points redemption.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: A Few
Smile

Originally Posted by tng11
What does everyone here think of changing from the following:

To:

YYZ-YUL AC J
YUL-MUC LH J
MUC-LED LH J
LED-FRA LH J
FRA-BKK TG F
BKK-SYD TG F

SYD-BKK TG F
BKK-SIN SQ J
SIN-DEL SQ F (!)
DEL-ZRH LX J
ZRH-YUL LX J
YUL-YYZ AC J
IIRC you've made a bunch of paid changes already. You are going to set a record for the most change fees ever paid to Aeroplan for 1 ticket! Only you can say if making another change is worth it.

I'd be very surprised if SQ F SIN-DEL is anything more than regional F...otherwise it would/should be blocked from *A partner redemption.

I'm not sure how you keep getting AE to ticket these routings. Your original looks invalid to me, as does your latest proposed change...but good for you for getting them to do it.

IMO TG F is nothing special in the air. Service is variable, food is all over the map from very good to almost inedible. NH, OZ, LX, LH, SQ are all vastly superior to TG F IMO. I haven't been on the TG 380 yet...I'm sure the seat is better than the 747's and 340's, but the food and service will be same.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
No idea. Never actually used points for NH F.

I know CA F has 2 seats available sometimes for points redemption.
Same thing for LAX-PEK CA F. One seat - widely open. Two seats - no availability on any dates.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Here's my J thoughts:

NH - always good, but careful with recliners vs lie-flat "Inspiraton of Japan" seating - IOJ is worth the scamcharges, recliners aren't (NH11 out of ORD has IOJ, NH1011, the evening flight, doesn't).
TG - haven't flown their J, but the 380 should have very nice seats, whilst the other aircraft don't.
SQ - great seats, excellent service, shocking paucity of food on overnights from Singapore to Asia (you are fed only ONCE unless you look incredulous enough to warrant second servings -> *use* "Book the Cook"!
AC - decent seat, terrible service, angry FAs. HUGE scamcharges
UA - decent seat, terrible service, angry FAs. No scamcharges.
LH - HUGE scamcharges. Avoid the old J product like the plague (i.e. any Airbus into FRA). MUC on Airbuses has a good chance of new C. Still, hardly worth the scamcharges.
OZ - QS seating is very comfy, but somehow, I am not floored with the experience. They also spilled a full glass of 20 year whiskey on me, so I smelled like a homeless alcoholic for a while.
TK - very good service, great, great food, no scamcharges, the only flight in the last 15 years where there was so much turbulence that I was nauseous to the point of almost throwing up - and I wasn't even drunk.
LX - do not enjoy their C. Upside is no scamcharges. Seats are fine, food is fine, service is fine, if they ever charge scamcharges, this will be off the recommended list for me.
NZ - absolutely awesome. Service, seats, etc. Hell, even the recliners were great because the service was so good. Good luck finding seats.
LO - apparently great hard product on the 787, soft product so-so, but no experience so can't comment.
MS - no experience. no alcohol, so won't have an experience.
ET - no experience. Never release any proper numbers of seats, so unlikely to have any experience.
SN - no experience, but the seats look FABULOUS.
CA - No experience - perhaps someone can comment.
US - no experience.
OS - no experience.
Thanks for this!

Great info for when I go farther afield in J!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
It's been quite awhile since i've done a mini rtw.

I have an intenary that looks good, just want to make sure it is valid.

lax-tpe (stopover)
tpe-han (stopover/open jaw)
hkg-zrh-cdg (stopover/open jaw)
ist-hkg (stop for 23 hours) -tpe-lax

Will this work? The second open jaw might be an issue no?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
You definitely can only do 1 open jaw.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AZbba
It's been quite awhile since i've done a mini rtw.

I have an intenary that looks good, just want to make sure it is valid.

lax-tpe (stopover)
tpe-han (stopover/open jaw)
hkg-zrh-cdg (stopover/open jaw)
ist-hkg (stop for 23 hours) -tpe-lax

Will this work? The second open jaw might be an issue no?

Looks like you are trying to go to Europe via Asia on the way back... thats a no go from the start disregarding you have too many open jaws

you can go lax-tpe(so)-han/hkg-zrh-cdg(stop)-lax (via atlantic somehow)
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:27 pm

I think this is valid, but gonna throw it out here first to make sure

Mini-RTW in J (125K for now) for 2014 Sept/Oct
Desired routings (assuming availability)

PVG-BKK TG - YQ $$
BKK-IST TK J 77W - hopefully use IST *A lounge or same-day free tour if possible
IST-ZRH stop #1

ZRH-YUL LX J - if available, as there's no IST-YYZ at all. Otherwise may need to fly LOT 787 WAW-YYZ
YUL-YYZ AC J - YQ, Destination

YYZ-TPE BR stop #2

TPE-PVG BR or CA
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
BKK-IST TK J 77W - hopefully use IST *A lounge or same-day free tour if possible
OK., so one gets a same day free tour if going through IST on TK or is there special deals with that. I have a trip booked for April and traveling from BKK to ZRK, I might consider changing if availability is there.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I think this is valid, but gonna throw it out here first to make sure

Mini-RTW in J (125K for now) for 2014 Sept/Oct
Desired routings (assuming availability)

PVG-BKK TG - YQ $$
IST-ZRH stop #1

ZRH-YUL LX J - if available, as there's no IST-YYZ at all. Otherwise may need to fly LOT 787 WAW-YYZ
YUL-YYZ AC J - YQ, Destination

YYZ-TPE BR stop #2

TPE-PVG BR or CA
Is there no PVG-BKK on CA? Apart from a better product - no YQ
YQ on AC will only be $27 - or they ll totally forget it
Everything else looks fine.

You wont get to use the free tour in IST, unlikely it will require a long enough layover to fly IST-ZRH, availability doesnt matter, scheduling does.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Looks like you are trying to go to Europe via Asia on the way back... thats a no go from the start disregarding you have too many open jaws
Okay I cut down the open jaws to one. Is this a new rule?

I know I was able to do europe via pacific both ways before lax-pek-zrh-pek-lax
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:10 pm

The only F you ll get with AE miles currently are these:

I'll only give you personal experiences over the last 3 years or so in J.......
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Here's my J thoughts:

These are great summaries. Thank you both. These deserve its own thread for others to compile lists like above posters and to amend as more flights are taken by each contributor.

I have limited exposure to J products and airlines at this time but will contribute in the future, maybe, if I am lucky enough to experience the flights......
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
OK., so one gets a same day free tour if going through IST on TK or is there special deals with that. I have a trip booked for April and traveling from BKK to ZRK, I might consider changing if availability is there.
3 tours a day
Canadians do need VISA to enter (~$60 CAD)

http://www.istanbulinhours.com/what-is-touristanbul
Anyone who flies through İstanbul and has a waiting time at least 6 hours is welcome to Touristanbul.
After you arrive at Istanbul Atatürk Airport, you will be picked up. Then you will be taken to the historical places and beautiful restaurants. You will enjoy İstanbul’s historical and natural beauties rather than wasting your time waiting at the airport. After a marvelous tour, you will be taken to the Atatürk Airport.

During the tour, you will be able to see the most significant historical sights of a city that has hosted major civilizations of the world. You will be a privileged visitor of the many magnificent traces that each of them has left in history. If the waiting time between your connecting flights in Istanbul allows, you shouldn’t miss this experience.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
There needs to be no flights scheduled between your destinations.

For example, if you arrive from BKK at 5:40am, you cannot just simply take the IST-ZRH flight in the afternoon to get the tour - there is an earlier available flight (even though there may not have been award space), you will be denied.

I did the tour connecting between TAS (arrive 7am) and PEK (depart 10pm), but only because there was
a) no later flight scheduled from origin
b) no earlier flight departing for destination

I used their free hotel once too, but I have a passport that only costs USD20 for visa.

all the info here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...cting-ist.html

edit: It appears they relaxed the rules, and everyone can join the tour!!!! *just not get the free hotel!
so strike all I've typed before

Last edited by rankourabu; Oct 29, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.