Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it looks like all AC flights out of LHR should get canceled tomorrow also.

And like all flights to LHR that depend upon planes being back here?

OTOH, presumably one cannot reschedule on a restricted ticket until cancellation is formalized?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Flights out east look pretty packed after the first set of cancellations, ex-YYZ you would be lucky to get out Tuesday. If another set is canceled, its going to be much worse I imagine...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:36 pm

Wonder how much this is costing AC?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Stranger
If you check 845 today, it took something like 1 hour 23 minutes longer than normal.

AC uses 333 while for this YYC route LH now flies a 343. Longer and no ETOPS issue?

Not entirely convinced that congestion would be an issue. Most flights to Europwe would have been canceled. Flights to destinations further south are relatively few in comparison.
878 took off on-time and is showing +90 mins on arrival.

I'm a little stupefied that AC didn't upgauge to 773 for this flight - it seems to me they could have used the opportunity to ease the pressure a bit by getting a few more people on the continent?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
Wonder how much this is costing AC?
at the moment? they're rolling in it - saving hundreds of thousands of dollars an hour as they're not burning fuel but still have the revenue.

Unless they start adding extra flights (I figure they'll have to for LHR if it lasts more than 24hrs) I don't see it costing them much more than an inflated call centre bill. a lot more full-fare Y has been sold for early next week than normal, i'd imagine as well.

but that's just a guess.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy
878 took off on-time and is showing +90 mins on arrival.

I'm a little stupefied that AC didn't upgauge to 773 for this flight - it seems to me they could have used the opportunity to ease the pressure a bit by getting a few more people on the continent?
With all due respect there would not be a 777 crew in Zurich for a return flight. It is not so easy to upguage on little notice.Other considerations are catering equipment that would not be available etc
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by acplt
With all due respect there would not be a 777 crew in Zurich for a return flight. It is not so easy to upguage on little notice.Other considerations are catering equipment that would not be available etc
Ah, return crew. Hadn't thought of that. Touché.

Could put one on the plane, no?

I imagine there's equipment not going to fra or lhr that could be used no? Just saying a really unexpected and massive situation should cause some out of the box thinking

but what do I know, I'm just self loading cargo
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC SE
They mentioned on the news this evening that the last time this volcano erupted (200 years ago) it did so for 8 months. Lets hope it quiets down again quicker than that this time. Else, I think Cunard might start making a mint on the QM2.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by hjohnson
They mentioned on the news this evening that the last time this volcano erupted (200 years ago) it did so for 8 months. Lets hope it quiets down again quicker than that this time. Else, I think Cunard might start making a mint on the QM2.
Wonder what airlines did 200 years ago with no flights for 8 months
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:13 am

Does anyone know what Air Canada aircraft (fin #s please) are stranded in Europe on Thursday and Friday?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
Urgent help - volcano delayed flights

am stuck in europe due to volcanic eruption
trying to reach se desks - international number on back of my card does not work - says to dial access code + 800

am using skype - I have the number so I am not asking for that but can someone guide me as to how to do this using skype -

Thanks much - am on a ship and phone rates are crazy

Also, would anyone have any updates on situation in FRA - concierge is closed there
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:55 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Wings100
trying to reach se desks - international number on back of my card does not work - says to dial access code + 800

am using skype - I have the number so I am not asking for that but can someone guide me as to how to do this using skype -
Do not use the Intl number. Just enter the North American SE desk number (+1 8XX XXX-XXXX).
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:16 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Flight still open for check in as it's still schedule to operate at this point; most likely because your later connection being outside of 24 hours causing you not to be able to check in.
Thanks Andrew / Stranger; I thought it was governed by the first flight only. BA et al were pulling online check-in, so I was wondering if Air Canada had something similar.

Regardless, flight has been canceled. Shame as I won't be able to reschedule it for a while.

^ To Air Canada for at least communicating everything quickly. Now if only the Orbitz call center was more sure of what was going on, I could at least get my money back

Good luck to those stranded!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:16 am
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
just spoke to the fra concierge (via skype)- he is maintaining good humour but has absolutely no information whatsoever, and all flights over the next two days (even if they fly) are showing full.
one piece of advice - if you are arriving in fra, book a hotel early in the day online. I arrived late last night and there was absolutely nothing in the airport area, the ibis on the way into town, which is ordinarily 69E, had rooms starting at 229E.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
My parents were due to fly YYZ-FRA yesterday; they made it to within 15 minutes of the airport before the cancellation happened (I expected it, but there was nothing to be done until it was real).

AC was very helpful, and rebooked them for the first available flight, LH on Monday night. The odds are that any rebooking for a flight in the next few days will be for naught anyway: the volcano is still erupting, and the ash is still spreading.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation...aacuk_vag.html

Of course no one knows when the eruption will end (the last one at this volcano started in 1811 and finished in 1813!) -- there is a (small) possibility of a game-changing disruption to air travel, at least in Europe. And if the winds change the ash clouds could flow to North America too ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.