Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by LeSabre74
The last eruption of this volcano 200 years ago lasted ONE year. You might want to look into booking passage on the Queen Mary 2!
Leaving this weekend for a TATL cruise ship crossing. But the return in a few weeks is AC from LHR - here's hoping.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../15/c2924.html

MONTREAL, April 15 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada advises that as a result of the spread of volcanic ash over northern Europe due to volcanic activity in Iceland, a number of European airports have closed until further notice. Flights have been cancelled to and from the following European airports served by Air Canada: London Heathrow, Paris Charles de Gaulle and Frankfurt. As other airports may be affected resulting in flight cancellations and delays, Air Canada will provide updates on aircanada.com as further information becomes available.

Customers with flights to or from affected areas are advised to check on the status of their flight prior to leaving for the airport by consulting the Air Canada website at aircanada.com, or by calling Air Canada's automated flight information system at 1-888-422-7533, or by using a web-enhanced cell phone.

In order to facilitate changes to travel plans, Air Canada has revised its ticketing policy for customers booked on flights that are subject to cancellation. Those customers wishing to make alternate travel arrangements can do so without penalty, space permitting, by contacting Air Canada Reservations toll free in Canada and the U.S. at 888-247-2262; TTY: 1-800-361-8071 or Air Canada Reservations worldwide. Due to increased call centre volume, wait times may be longer than usual.

"Air Canada is closely monitoring the situation and is doing everything possible to accommodate affected customers," said Duncan Dee, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. "Due to heavy loads, particularly on flights to London starting today and into the weekend as a result of the end of Easter holidays, it may take several days after the re-opening of the affected European airports before customers will be able to resume travel."
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
The last eruption of this volcano 200 years ago lasted ONE year. You might want to look into booking passage on the Queen Mary 2!
those travelling from Europe to Asia may consider the Siberia Express
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ac-YUL
YYZ-ZRH and YYZ-FCO are still presently showing as operating, but this could change at any time.

If you're travelling to/from Europe tonight or over the next couple of days... good luck.
That's what I've been getting as well. I'm scheduled on YYZ-ZRH tomorrow night. It was full before this happened so I don't think its going to be a valid way for people to get on the continent from YYZ.

I will expect Zoo at pearson regardless.

Update: Argh, looks like US has already canceled to ZRH. AC can't be far behind.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:37 pm

My daughter and her friend (19 and 18 yrs old respectively) are currently stranded in London after their connection to YVR via LHR from Athens was canceled. Currently, rebooked on Sunday evening flight - we shall see?!? This episode has so far revealed the great convenience of cell phones, laptops and wireless networks. I could have gone without the phone call at 3 AM this morning (my local time) though, advising of their canceled flight. BA did give out vouchers for a hotel (first night only, I presume) and transport between airport and hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ_TVGuy
Update: Argh, looks like US has already canceled to ZRH. AC can't be far behind.
ZRH is definitely going to fly tonight; tomorrow, we'll have to wait and see.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does not look too good for LHR tomorrow.

Interesting that AC canceled FRA even though it's apparently not closing, while LH has not and is still even selling tickets.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Stranger

Interesting that AC canceled FRA even though it's apparently not closing, while LH has not and is still even selling tickets.
AC probably doesn't want to risk stranding a plane in FRA. LH on the other hand is bringing their aircraft back to home base

LH's FRA-YYZ for tomorrow is already cancelled.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter

Transat press release says:

FLIGHTS WITH TOUR OPERATOR TRANSAT BETWEEN CANADA AND THE U.K. DELAYED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Flights between Canada and the United Kingdom sold by tour operator Transat AT Inc., including Air Transat flights, are delayed until further notice following the suspension of air traffic in Northern Europe prompted by a volcanic eruption in Iceland. Transat is monitoring the situation closely and taking all necessary measures to ensure all of its operations run smoothly.

Note that all flights bound for France and Italy will depart on schedule.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...or the track to go to FRA would take it too far North TATL and the Sourthern tracks may be very congested given the Northern routes fly close to Iceland.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airbus320
...or the track to go to FRA would take it too far North TATL and the Sourthern tracks may be very congested given the Northern routes fly close to Iceland.
If you check 845 today, it took something like 1 hour 23 minutes longer than normal.

AC uses 333 while for this YYC route LH now flies a 343. Longer and no ETOPS issue?

Not entirely convinced that congestion would be an issue. Most flights to Europwe would have been canceled. Flights to destinations further south are relatively few in comparison.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:00 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
irops sop query

I was booked on 873 (FRA-YYZ) today (well, tomorrow for most ft readers), SE on L fare. After a harrowing planes trains and automobiles kind of day (I was supposed to fly BRU-FRA in the morning, as soon as I realized what was up I headed for FRA but not quick enough to get a train ticket, so I took the bus - I'm tempted to write a full report but am too tired), arrived in FRA and found a hotel after only about an hour
(Perhaps price-gouging is too strong a word, but the airport IBIS, which my taxi driver assured me was regular 69E was charging 229 for a single).

Through the good offices of my wife (I really should have updated my blackberry - it never even occurred to me it wasn't compatible for europe) and the SE desk, I am rebooked on Monday, which the agent told her was "worst case". Some of the earlier posts on this threat make me wonder. But the query is whether I will automatically be rebooked on the first flight to go out with space available. Is there any advantage to calling the SE desk if it looks like things are clearing up tomorrow?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadianInLondon
Now being less than 24h to my scheduled AC859 LHR->YYZ flight (still showing as on-time), and I was not able to web check-in.

Anyone else had the same, or is it just my booking (with long connections in Canada), or something systemic during IROPS? I only ask as if the flight fly's I really want to be on it and wasn't able to pick my seat in advance...
Interestingly, it did let me check in for 850 tomorrow night.

At 19:22 or so for a 19:20 departure, already No. 10.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:44 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by CanadianInLondon
Now being less than 24h to my scheduled AC859 LHR->YYZ flight (still showing as on-time), and I was not able to web check-in.

Anyone else had the same, or is it just my booking (with long connections in Canada), or something systemic during IROPS? I only ask as if the flight fly's I really want to be on it and wasn't able to pick my seat in advance...
Flight still open for check in as it's still schedule to operate at this point; most likely because your later connection being outside of 24 hours causing you not to be able to check in.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Latest NATS update: not so good (2:30 am London)

"The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK and the eruption in Iceland continues. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 1900 (UK time) today, Friday 16 April, at the earliest.

However, flights in Northern Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow and Prestwick may be allowed up to 1300 (UK time) today, subject to individual co-ordination. North Atlantic traffic to and from Glasgow, Prestwick and Belfast may also be allowed over the same period. We will review further Met Office information and at 0830 (UK time) we will advise the arrangements that will be in place until 0100 (UK time) on Saturday, 17 April.

In general, the situation cannot be said to be improving with any certainty as the forecast affected area appears to be closing in from east to west. We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.