Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Volcanic activity in Iceland delays flights to/from Europe

Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like CDG is closing as of 23:00 today. So AC should not have any plane caught up there.

Also appears that AC has zeroed all flights to LHR Friday and Sat.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
My flight on Monday already shows Y0, I guess from people rebooking as quickly as possible on the available flights. Interestingly enough a test booking on the 19th YWG-LHR shows TP available on the web, but when you go to the seat map it an Executive Class one. But 3000+ for a TP fare one way is probably a bit excessive :P
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
From the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8621407.stm

[/i]Airspace closed:[/i]
UK
Republic of Ireland
Norway

Partial or planned closures:

Sweden (total closure by 2000 GMT)
France (two main Paris airports plus several in the north)
Denmark (total by 1600 GMT)
Finland (northern airspace closed till 1200 GMT Friday)
Belgium (total from 1430 GMT)
Netherlands (being shut progressively)
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:56 am

From France2:
http://info.france2.fr/europe/l-erup...-62511775.html

Les aroports de Roissy, Orly et Le Bourget ferms partir de 23h
Le nuage de cendres provenant d'Islande arrivera en fin de journe jeudi sur le nord de la France o au moins 25 aroports vont tre ferms, annonce la Direction gnrale de l'aviation civile.

Les aroports du nord de la France - Lille-Lesquin, Calais, Merville, Le Touquet, Dieppe, Cherbourg, Amiens et Valenciennes seront ferms jeudi 17h et ceux de Roissy-Charles de Gaulle, Orly et Le Bourget ainsi que plusieurs aroports de l'ouest et de l'est du pays le seront au plus tard 23h, a annonc jeudi la Direction gnrale de l'aviation civile. Il s'agit de ceux de Brest, Lannion, Deauville, Morlaix, Quimper, Rennes, Caen, Strasbourg, Vatry, Reims, Metz, Beauvais, Pontoise, Toussus-le-Noble.

As of 12h55 Eastern time, CDG is still open.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: CM Gold, SK EB Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Looks like CDG is closing as of 23:00 today. So AC should not have any plane caught up there.

Also appears that AC has zeroed all flights to LHR Friday and Sat.
I had just read on the Paris Airport website that it would be closed from 23:00 Thursday until 10.00 Friday. However, the message now doesn't have a re-opening time and date.

AC 880 is scheduled to land at 09.40 (the next day), so looks like today's flight will likely be canceled, although there are no alerts for Paris on the AC Travel Alert page so far. My Saturday flight is now down to J1 C1... down from J5 C4 or so just an hour or so ago. I'm still waitlisted for my upgrade, it'll probably be a slim chance.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:51 am

Anyone wanting to know what can happen when jet engines meet volcanic ash should google BA009 Jun 24/1982 when a B747-200 lost 4 engines and had some very tense moments over the ocean near Indonesia. There was a great Mayday episode on it - might be on youtube.

I thought I read the ash cloud in Iceland was topping out at 35,000 ft? Wonder if they could open travel at FL390 and above for the crafts that can get up there?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: AC*E
Now being less than 24h to my scheduled AC859 LHR->YYZ flight (still showing as on-time), and I was not able to web check-in.

Anyone else had the same, or is it just my booking (with long connections in Canada), or something systemic during IROPS? I only ask as if the flight fly's I really want to be on it and wasn't able to pick my seat in advance...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:16 pm

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
[Tongue Partially in Cheek]Thankfully a YUL Lounge Dragon pi$$ed me off enough to change my usual LHR-Canada AC return routing for this trip[/Tongue Partially in Cheek].
I'm happy to be flying TK from IST-ORD-YHZ and completely avoiding Northern Europe right now
mpc1
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:30 pm

Confirmed. According to this press release (in pdf), CDG will close as of 23h00 which is in a couple more hours I think.

There is no reopen time yet.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by catgirl
Ugh! Looks like my flight AC 851 LHR-YYC today may be cancelled. Inbound flight to LHR is in the air and will probably be allowed to land, but unlikely that the outbound scheduled for 1:15 PM will depart.

Looks like I have an extra day in London. Thinkng of just staying at one of the airport hotels, or is it worth going back to London and catching a show tonight?
The last eruption of this volcano 200 years ago lasted ONE year. You might want to look into booking passage on the Queen Mary 2!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:38 pm

AC 854 just got cancelled

Officially AC854 from Vancouver just Cancelled
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K 2MM, Accor Gold
3 days or more

BRU, AMS, CDG will remain closed as of 11pm (2 hours from now local time) for the next 3 days (at least). Berlin and Hamburg have now closed but FRA is awaiting the weather forecasts and may or may not close on Friday morning.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:15 pm

Update as of 1515

Following flights are confirmed cancelled tonight:

All LHR flights
All FRA flights
All CDG flights
YYZ-MUC

YYZ-ZRH and YYZ-FCO are still presently showing as operating, but this could change at any time.

If you're travelling to/from Europe tonight or over the next couple of days... good luck.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
The last eruption of this volcano 200 years ago lasted ONE year.
Damn. I should have gone to Paris.

"Sorry boss! Can't come back to work. Volcanos are Bad you know. I'll be back in a year after the eruption is finished."
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ac-YUL
Following flights are confirmed cancelled tonight:

YYZ-MUC
I would have thought MUC is far enough south that this wouldn't be a problem. But perhaps the plane won't fly enough of a southerly route to avoid the ash cloud.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.