Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada issuing boarding passes for ANA-operated flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Can Air Canada issue boarding passes for flights operated by ANA? I would guess yes as they are both members of The Star Alliance. However, I ask because when flying from Japan to Canada, ANA issued boarding passes for my Air Canada connecting flights, but when I left Canada to come back to Japan, Air Canada would not issue me a boarding pass for my connecting ANA flight at NRT. I had to stand in line at the ANA domestic check-in at NRT. Also, when coming out of customs at NRT, I saw what looked like a baggage drop for ANA domestic flights right outside the door; however, the woman manning the line told me to go to the domestic check-in with my bags despite them already having a tag checking them through to Nagoya. Why could I not have dropped off my bags and then gone to the check-in to get my boarding pass? But more importantly, why couldn't Air Canada in YYZ have given me my boarding pass in the first place? Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if AC gives you the boarding pass and tags your bag to the Japanese destination ex. NRT you will still have to pick up your bag(before exiting customs) and re-check it at domestic counter. NH will also issue a new boarding pass specific to the NH system for domestic flights.....
http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/dms/svc/nex...kip_index.html
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
They re-issue boarding passes for international flights too. Every time I take a UA/US flight to connect to NH within the US, NH insists on re-printing my boarding pass before they let me on the plane. This ticked me off the first time it happened because I thought at first that I was getting an op-up....
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: FOTSG
Sometimes we can issue boarding passes for another airline and sometimes we can't (even if they are in *A). In many cases the other airline will want to reprint one of their own boarding passes anyway, as their system may not be able to figure out the bar code, etc. What I've found is we can't issue a boarding pass ex-HND, but I'm not sure if we are supposed to be able to.

As far as bags go, I am very surprised the agent was able to tag your bags all the way through as it shouldn't have been possible. If you are connecting in Japan we are only to shortcheck your bags to NRT unless you are flying to NGO or KIX on JL53 NRT-NGO or JL51/NH1102 NRT-KIX. So even though your tag said NGO as final, you had to go recheck your bag.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am so glad that so many here KNOW the real reason ......NOT! They will issue you a specific card which you then have to use over a reader pre-security to gain access. Another small card will then be printed at security! You will also do the same thing at the gate to receive your boarding card(tape)! The Japanese have been using QR code and the readers ((which means that people can check-in with their mobiles using this code, (and have been for at least 5 years) at security, gate etc.)) As such you will need a boarding/security control card with a QR code on it! I don't believe that AC can print this code as they have not invested in the technology....they have known of the technology for at least 6 years when they had a presentation on it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:56 pm

Right, Q Shoe Guy, but that doesn't explain why they insist on re-printing BPs for international flights as well...
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
The Japanese have been using QR code and the readers ((which means that people can check-in with their mobiles using this code, (and have been for at least 5 years) at security, gate etc.))
Isn't this the same type of QR code that comes down to my phone and that I use for check in?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones
Right, Q Shoe Guy, but that doesn't explain why they insist on re-printing BPs for international flights as well...
When did I refer to the international boarding process? The link that I posted above refers to the DOMESTIC boarding process.....
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dudestir
Isn't this the same type of QR code that comes down to my phone and that I use for check in?
Might be...I wouldn't know! 6 years ago AC was interested in the QR code.....
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
When did I refer to the international boarding process? The link that I posted above refers to the DOMESTIC boarding process.....
Right, but as I noted above, they also reprint boarding passes for international flights where no QR code is used. Seems like a bit of a waste to me.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:00 pm

They re-issue boarding passes for international flights too. Every time I take a UA/US flight to connect to NH within the US, NH insists on re-printing my boarding pass before they let me on the plane. This ticked me off the first time it happened because I thought at first that I was getting an op-up....
suprisingly they recgonized my AC BP when flying NH to SIN....and vice versa
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Happens with ANZ and AC as well.

I am checked though (even my bags) but if I go YYZ-SYD-AKL when I hit SYD, I need to re-checkin from the international sterile area and get issued an ANZ bording pass or passes for the rest of my flights.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:29 am
Original Poster

What's the point of the ANA area immediately outside the customs hall at NRT if you just have to walk further down the terminal to the check-in counters?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:50 am

You mean the arrivals lounge?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:57 am
Original Poster

You mean the arrivals lounge?
No. It's a little fuzzy in my memory now, but it just looked like a baggage drop or something. That's what I assumed it was, anyway. It was just outside the doors that separate it from the secure customs area. The domestic check-in area is further down the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.