SYD-YVR-YYZ Transit time at YVR

Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
SYD-YVR-YYZ Transit time at YVR

Did some searching but didn't come upon anything recent.

Has anyone has recent experience with SYD-YVR-YYZ AC34 and the transit time getting through customs / baggage / re-clear security at YVR? The transit time is only 1.5 hours, and my recent memories of YVR are spending that much time just trying to clear customs.

I asked when booking and they said legal connection and continuing flight so it's all good. I really would hate to miss the continuing flight and get stuck later / overnight.

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC E
You should be OK arriving in YVR when you do - prior to the bulk of the Asian arrivals, and maybe just a couple US arrivals to contend with.
Anybody stressing about a YVR connection should understand that there is an option to identify yourself to the staff manning the counter on the right-hand side as you descend the escalator into the immigration hall. Show a boarding pass for your onward flight within 90 minutes and you are whisked to the front of the line. Even without using that option, you'll have buckets of spare time.
Or use the kiosks to make your declaration. I did that last time I faced a long line and strolled up to a dedicated official behind a desk with no passengers in front of me .
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
Good stuff - thanks for the info!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
AC seems to handle this flight very well.

Due to headwinds, we were delayed landing in YVR. For SEs, we had the choice to stay on 34, or hop on the other YVR-YYZ flight which was leaving earlyer (after the delay).

For everyone else, it was luck of the draw. 34 was changed to a 763 and the balance of people left on a different flight number shortly after.

Assuming you are on time, you have nothing to worry about, if not...AC will take care of you
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: AC*E
I find on AC34 getting through customs in YVR can sometimes be quick.... sometimes not. If you're able to use the kiosk it really speeds things up as most people go through the regular line.

The worst part of the transit in YVR is all the walking you have to do after the long flight. It's a long loop you have to do to get through customs and then back to the same gate you exited from. Picking up your bags, dropping them off, going through security again. Also, when you're in a rush because you watching the clock it can get a bit stressful.

However, I find that the AC crew are great with handling the transiting passengers. They know you're out there clearing through customs and will hold on for you. My last trip in December was quite hectic as the flight was full, a bit late and there were a few other airlines landing at the time. I made it back onto the flight after stressing out while security decided to swab my laptop (while it was 5 minutes until the plane was supposed to leave). But they waited for me and I got to YYZ. One of my bags didn't, and showed up a few days later.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
If you're on the same flight number, of course they'll protect you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.