Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Anyone Reducing Their AC Transborder Flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AE

Anyone else out there reducing their flying on AC into the USA with all the new hassles? I'm lucky I guess, my travel to the States is all leisure, so its been easy enough to plan my trips to other countries instead.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, I wanted to go last week for a meeting, but decided not to in view of the circumstances.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
Yes, I fly often for leisure and have already booked MEX in May instead of the US, will likely skip NYC later in the year and go to Eastern Canada or the Caribbean instead.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
Skipped CES ... Had booked it but I cancelled ... Sent my CTO instead ... (we were supposed to go together, so it's 1 travelling instead of 2)
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:58 pm

The no carry on policy makes positioning to the USA for a MR much less attractive. Who wants to check bags... let alone on a MR?

Will have to factor in purchasing an outfit for the return trip at destination/turn point for all future MRs ex USA. Will no bags and no carry on bits raise red flags for security/immigration/customs?

MRs aside... As much as I want to weekend in the US to visit friends and/or escape the Canadian winter, I'll have to talk them into meeting me in the EU or elsewhere as flying trans boarder just isn't fun anymore. A real shame with the SWU promo for T+ fares over the holidays. Wonder if we'll see better "sell off" fares to more destinations over the next while?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Silver
Not only was it over $200 cheaper to fly out of FAR instead of YWG on a trip to DFW next month (despite AC's "sale" fares), but with all these crazy rules in place I am not even losing a lot of time by driving down there instead of flying from home.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
When I travel for leisure I always check bags, and carry only a laptop, camera bag and diaper bag in the cabin. This is all still allowed (the laptop is my carry-on, the camera bag is my wife's), so no difference there.

When traveling for business I don't have a choice... so no, no change in transborder flight patterns.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Was planning to take my brothers down to Vegas for a bachlor party. Will not be going as long as this security nosense is in place.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I said I would but...

I had a bad experience as my first transborder flight post-new regulations was on Dec 27th (the 2nd day, when 1 carryon was still allowed). Flights were 8+hrs delayed, lines were long and tempers were heated. I vowed that I would reduce my transborder travel by 50% (easy enough for me as I live in the US and typically fly to Canada to visit family, etc).

But spot-checking the departures/arrivals status on ac.com in the following days, it seems that passengers, security screeners, AC staff have adjusted to the new rules and that flights are moving into and out of US airports relatively on time.

While I realize that checking a bag for my return flight to the US is a bit of a pain in the butt (I can still carryon on my outbound to Canada), it was more the uncertainty of chronic delays and cancellations that made me want to cut travel. Since stuff seems "back to normal" timing-wise, I probably won't cut as much as planned since checking one bag isn't the end of the world. But, having to deal with multi-hour delays and cancellations everytime you fly is.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Absolutely no travel planned to the Paranoid States of Freedom for my family or company while this bullcrap is in place. Next three personal trips for me are to ICN, YYT, and NAS where normally there would be at least one transborder itinerary in there.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
All my US travel was leisure, and I love many great American cities, like NYC, ORD, BOS, SFO. With the recently added hassle to cross the border, I'll be going elsewhere until those rules are relaxed.

If one needs a MR, it is affordable, almost hassle-free and interesting to visit Europe.

In Canada, Vancouver is lovely to visit any time, especially for me living in cold Montreal.

Barbados with daily AC flights (often on sale) is a feasible alternative to Florida. CAD is now nearing par with USD and that makes that destination even cheaper (1 USD = approx. 2 BD$).

No US-bound flights for me now.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Drove to BUF last weekend to avoid it; was going to GLA via EWR on Continental.

Was through the border in less than 5 minutes in both directions AND in EWR in bound.

Not planning on flying out of Toronto much this year (one flight to LAX on Thursday this week, but that was award on AA).
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Alas, can't really avoid it. Leaving before 3 AM to drive to BUF for a 6:15 AM departure is just ... too much for me.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tomh009
Alas, can't really avoid it. Leaving before 3 AM to drive to BUF for a 6:15 AM departure is just ... too much for me.
I'm feelin' ya. I would not have pulled the trigger on that flight from Fargo if it wasn't leaving at ~1:30 P.M.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:45 pm

I'm not going and now any trips are on hold. I have a trip in mid Feb and i'm undecided on that but it might cool by then. Until then forget it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.