Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Nut-free zone ordered on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nut-free zone ordered on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 6:33 pm

Well, not to worry. The Agency is on the case:

Canadian Transportation Agency: Ongoing Allergy Cases - Update
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:42 pm

Graet news - thanks for the update on the pet issue. NOW let's hope they get it 'right' this time...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by CD_YOW
Well, not to worry. The Agency is on the case:

Canadian Transportation Agency: Ongoing Allergy Cases - Update

i was wondering why, with the logic the agency has applied, seafood & shellfish are not also banned along with eggs, sesame seeds, milk, soy, wheat and suflphites....

guess this explains it...they have not gotten around to it yet....
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, CO, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, ex-TSA Elite rectal exam club member
odor free

hopefully, they will institute fart free flights. and forbid stinking hockey gear too!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by John Q. Public
hopefully, they will institute fart free flights. and forbid stinking hockey gear too!
and smelly cloths of people who smoke...eewww...
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.montrealgazette.com/healt...878/story.html

Air Canada has submitted a proposal for accommodating passengers with serious nut allergies to a federal agency, but refused to publicly divulge any details.

The Canadian Transportation Agency had given Air Canada until the close of business yesterday to tell it how the airline proposed to handle passengers with serious nut allergies.

Peter Fitzpatrick, a spokesman for Air Canada, said yesterday in an email statement to Canwest News Service that the proposal being submitted was "confidential."

"It would not be appropriate to publicize it (the proposal) for a couple reasons," Fitzpatrick said. "One is that the CTA and other interested parties need time to review and respond. Second, this submission is being made as part of an ongoing process to accommodate people with nut allergies, so it may not be final."

It was not clear if and when the agency would release the Air Canada submission.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
the world is laughing at us..... fat people and nuts fly free.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by OuttaYOW
Bottom line is, IMO, pets have no place being in the cabin with the paying passengers period. As for the other irritants mentioned above, well we could all think of other practices/situations we would like see banned from the cabin; but that's life, unless you fly your own plane and can call the shots
Pets have every right to be in the passenger cabin, if they're in an approved carrier and not disturbing others. I'd rather have someone's cute little doggie sitting beside me than someone's child anywhere near me or some of the smelly, farting, burping gasbags I've had to sit near. Some of my favorite flights were made so by the presence of a charming little dog, and I encouraged the owner to place the bag on their lap during cruise and let little muffin poke its head out.

I'd rather see children put in an approved carrier and placed under the seat.

So let me get this straight - first the government orders the airlines to provide, free of charge, an extra seat to accomadate grossly obese customers, and now they are banning the presence of nuts?

If someone tried to pull a stunt like this down here, they'd be laughed at. US airlines already have a policy to deal with this: if you can't fit in your own seat, you BUY an extra seat or don't fly. If you can't tolerate the presence of nuts, perfurme, animals or other 'scents' around you, there is always Netjets....or a 'Staycation'.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.montrealgazette.com/healt...544/story.html

OTTAWA — Air Canada says nut-free buffer zones as small as one large seat and as large as three rows will be adequate to accommodate passengers with nut allergies.

In a newly released submission to the government agency overseeing airline consumer complaints, Canada's largest airline says the "pod-like seats" in its international wide body aircraft Executive First seats, positioned in a herringbone fashion, provide "sufficient isolation as to reduce to nil the risk of contact for the passenger with nut allergies."

And the appropriate buffer zone in business class is a single bank of seats where the passenger with nut allergies is sitting; a row in first class is made up of two large seats.

In economy class, Air Canada proposes the buffer zone should include the seats immediately adjacent to the passenger in addition to the row of seats immediately behind and in front. The airline says that seats separated by an aisle "would be exposed to minimal if any risk of contact that would lead to accidental exposure."

The Canadian Transportation Agency released Air Canada's submission on Tuesday. The agency had given the airline a month to come up with a plan to create a "buffer zone" for each aircraft type when passengers with nut allergies warn them ahead of time.

In its submission, Air Canada says it can implement these buffer zones, provided passengers give the airline 48 hours notice.

The agency issued the directive in response to applications by two passengers, who argued that Air Canada lacked a formal policy to deal with travellers with peanut or nut allergies; both suffer from potentially life-threatening nut allergies.

The agency ruled that the passengers in question, Sophia Huyer and Melanie Nugent, are considered persons with a disability, so the airline must lift any obstacles to their mobility through a formal policy.

After considering feedback from the complainants, the agency will now determine whether Air Canada's proposal is adequate.

<snip>

Huyer called Air Canada's proposals "laughable."
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Pets have every right to be in the passenger cabin, if they're in an approved carrier and not disturbing others. I'd rather have someone's cute little doggie sitting beside me than someone's child anywhere near me or some of the smelly, farting, burping gasbags I've had to sit near. Some of my favorite flights were made so by the presence of a charming little dog, and I encouraged the owner to place the bag on their lap during cruise and let little muffin poke its head out.

I'd rather see children put in an approved carrier and placed under the seat.

So let me get this straight - first the government orders the airlines to provide, free of charge, an extra seat to accomadate grossly obese customers, and now they are banning the presence of nuts?

If someone tried to pull a stunt like this down here, they'd be laughed at. US airlines already have a policy to deal with this: if you can't fit in your own seat, you BUY an extra seat or don't fly. If you can't tolerate the presence of nuts, perfurme, animals or other 'scents' around you, there is always Netjets....or a 'Staycation'.
I'd rather see YOU put in an approved carrier and placed under the seat

I have no problems with Pets in approved carry on bag stowed UNDERNEATH in the cargo hold.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by morphius909
I'd rather see YOU put in an approved carrier and placed under the seat

I have no problems with Pets in approved carry on bag stowed UNDERNEATH in the cargo hold.
If you don't like pets in approved containers in the passenger cabin, stay home and don't fly. If you don't like nuts or perfume, stay home and don't fly. It's just that simple.

As long as the airline permits pets in the cabin, I support the right of anyone to bring aboard their pet.

Air Canada's proposal is laughable, but not for the reasons suspected by Huyer - no one is going to tell me I cannot eat nuts on my flight because I had the misfortune of sitting next to someone who called in 48hr before departure and claimed an allergy.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you don't like pets in approved containers in the passenger cabin, stay home and don't fly. If you don't like nuts or perfume, stay home and don't fly. It's just that simple.

Totally agree on pets and nuts. Perfurmes however is another story. First, I* would rat5her see people showering, rather than trying to hide BO behind perfume. Second, in any event, apart from marketing nonsense on building up a bimbo image, perfume is entirely useless and totally avoidable. At essentially no cost. Plus, if one really wants to hide one's BO behind perfume, it's always possible to do that at destination.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat
Does a person have to show medical proof a nut allergy to get in the "Buffer Zone" or is their word suffice?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Billionare
Does a person have to show medical proof a nut allergy to get in the "Buffer Zone" or is their word suffice?
Do I have to take my dog to a vet too?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-i-do-now.html
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:14 pm

Great. Now all I have to do to guarantee that the cattle-class seats next to me are empty is to claim to have a nut allergy. Since I fly AC twice a week, this will be even better than sitting in Business Class at no extra cost

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.