Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Nut-free zone ordered on Air Canada

Nut-free zone ordered on Air Canada

Old Jan 7, 10, 7:19 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,682
very soon we'd be sitting in sterile cubicles
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 7:20 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 142
I have been seated next to a passenger before who had decided he didn't like the fact that airlines didn't serve peanuts anymore. He had brought his own bag of peanuts. Enough peanuts to serve the entire aircraft. How is AC or any other airline suppose to stop passengers in certain rows from opening their own bag of nuts?
RESGIRL is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 7:40 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: YEG
Posts: 3,913
I have a somewhat severe nut allergy, and even I think this is stupid. How big of a buffer zone is required? Would they have to stop serving nuts in the J cabin because I'm there?

The only accomodation I'd like AC to make for me is that I can get a snack without nuts - it is very rare that inhaling nuts ever gives people reactions; reaction comes from actually consuming nuts. I hate it when I am in J and I can't get a snack because all they've got is a package of almonds and the FA doesn't even want to get the salted snacks they serve in Y (although I'd much prefer a cookie or something nicer than the standard Y snack).
YEG USER is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 7:45 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YYZ, but my heart is in Asia
Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Posts: 4,396
Originally Posted by RESGIRL View Post
I have been seated next to a passenger before who had decided he didn't like the fact that airlines didn't serve peanuts anymore. He had brought his own bag of peanuts. Enough peanuts to serve the entire aircraft. How is AC or any other airline suppose to stop passengers in certain rows from opening their own bag of nuts?
That person could have been me.

I love peanuts. I usually bring my own and skip the nuts served by AC.
jarusoba is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 7:57 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Posts: 603
I have a severe nut allergy. As to the one person who said "what about soy?", soy rarely causes anaphylaxis - so there is a big difference.

Personally, I am more uncomfortable letting people in the "zone" behind me know that I have said allergy than for them to be eating nuts.

Really, and I think most people who share my allergy would agree, can we merely just get an airline to actually agree to serve guaranteed nut-free food on the plane, rather than this "we can't guarantee" anything BS - especially if I am on a J or F ticket. I am just about up to my eyeballs eating fruit platters on flights (especially trans-pac).
erasmus99 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 10:07 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YOW
Posts: 2,351
@:-)

People with nut allergies should be made to wear a sign to alert other passengers of their allergy. A no u-turn sign with a peanut replacing the u-turn would work well I think - one on the forehead and one on the back.

Too bad Maryse Durette works for TC and not the CTA because her common sense approach to things would have demanded such signs.
SensFan is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 10:34 pm
  #22  
RTR
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: hilton honours, spg
Posts: 543
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
ok first I have to pay for FAT people to fly and now this...... we need to fire 90% of the people at the CTA.
Oh I second that!
RTR is offline  
Old Jan 7, 10, 11:46 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Shanghai
Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Posts: 1,370
The Globe piece reports that Sophia Huyer (who lodged the complaint) is an "international consultant".

Actually:

  • Senior Advisor at Third World Organization of Women in Science (TWOWS)
  • Director at Gender Advisory Board, UNCSTD

Enough said.
ACORD is offline  
Old Jan 8, 10, 12:19 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: YWG
Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,260
I think this is really going to create a slippery slope for Air Canada... Where do you draw the line?
Golden Toque is offline  
Old Jan 8, 10, 12:46 am
  #25  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 55,363
Originally Posted by Golden Toque View Post
I think this is really going to create a slippery slope for Air Canada... Where do you draw the line?
A slippery slope for all Canadian airlines as the OP's linked article notes:

The CTA ruling only applies to Air Canada, but an agency spokesperson said other airlines typically follow suit in such situations.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 10, 1:09 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: YWG
Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,260
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
The CTA ruling only applies to Air Canada, but an agency spokesperson said other airlines typically follow suit in such situations.
Really... is there another ailrine in Canada?

I can't imagine Porter jumping on that band-wagon too quick!
Golden Toque is offline  
Old Jan 8, 10, 3:43 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Posts: 1,862
Originally Posted by RESGIRL View Post
How is AC or any other airline suppose to stop passengers in certain rows from opening their own bag of nuts?
If you outlaw peanuts, only outlaws will have peanuts!
GregWTravels is offline  
Old Jan 8, 10, 5:46 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K, dDiamond; NEXUS+GE
Posts: 104
Angry Insanity!

Originally Posted by klparrot View Post
They can pry my J-cabin nut dish from my cold dead hands!
^ Agree fully!

The only thing these types of cases -- as well as government tribunals in general -- are good for is keeping lawyers gainfully employed. A further CanWest article indicates that Air Canada can get out of the order provided it can demonstrate some level of business related hardship.

Furthermore, according to the same article, a lobby group has also piled on -- along with the usual weasel words -- vaguely referring to "some studies" demonstrating that a portion of allergy sufferers had "reactrions" in-flight. A less scientific argument I cannot imagine ...
" ... Gwen Smith, editor-in-chief of Canadian magazine Allergic Living, spearheaded a campaign to get Air Canada to develop clear policies on allergies to minimize the risk of inflight allergic reactions. ...

"We need some formal policies. It really is risky. We found studies showing that up to one in 10 people with nut and peanut allergies were having reactions on flights, so this is significant," said Smith.
... "
ain't got time to take a fast train is offline  
Old Jan 8, 10, 7:14 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YTZ
Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Posts: 486
Originally Posted by ain't got time to take a fast train View Post
^ Agree fully!

The only thing these types of cases -- as well as government tribunals in general -- are good for is keeping lawyers gainfully employed. A further CanWest article indicates that Air Canada can get out of the order provided it can demonstrate some level of business related hardship.

Furthermore, according to the same article, a lobby group has also piled on -- along with the usual weasel words -- vaguely referring to "some studies" demonstrating that a portion of allergy sufferers had "reactrions" in-flight. A less scientific argument I cannot imagine ...
" ... Gwen Smith, editor-in-chief of Canadian magazine Allergic Living, spearheaded a campaign to get Air Canada to develop clear policies on allergies to minimize the risk of inflight allergic reactions. ...

"We need some formal policies. It really is risky. We found studies showing that up to one in 10 people with nut and peanut allergies were having reactions on flights, so this is significant," said Smith.
... "
Makes the global warming crowd East Anglia look almost credible, at least they pretended to have peer reviewed data.
lynchpin_yyz is offline  
Old Jan 8, 10, 8:20 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: UA 1K MM
Posts: 176
What a joke. Is there a gluten free zone, too? How about carb free zone for health conscious flyers?
footprints is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread