Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Nut-free zone ordered on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nut-free zone ordered on Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:19 pm

very soon we'd be sitting in sterile cubicles
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:20 pm

I have been seated next to a passenger before who had decided he didn't like the fact that airlines didn't serve peanuts anymore. He had brought his own bag of peanuts. Enough peanuts to serve the entire aircraft. How is AC or any other airline suppose to stop passengers in certain rows from opening their own bag of nuts?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:40 pm

I have a somewhat severe nut allergy, and even I think this is stupid. How big of a buffer zone is required? Would they have to stop serving nuts in the J cabin because I'm there?

The only accomodation I'd like AC to make for me is that I can get a snack without nuts - it is very rare that inhaling nuts ever gives people reactions; reaction comes from actually consuming nuts. I hate it when I am in J and I can't get a snack because all they've got is a package of almonds and the FA doesn't even want to get the salted snacks they serve in Y (although I'd much prefer a cookie or something nicer than the standard Y snack).
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by RESGIRL
I have been seated next to a passenger before who had decided he didn't like the fact that airlines didn't serve peanuts anymore. He had brought his own bag of peanuts. Enough peanuts to serve the entire aircraft. How is AC or any other airline suppose to stop passengers in certain rows from opening their own bag of nuts?
That person could have been me.

I love peanuts. I usually bring my own and skip the nuts served by AC.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
I have a severe nut allergy. As to the one person who said "what about soy?", soy rarely causes anaphylaxis - so there is a big difference.

Personally, I am more uncomfortable letting people in the "zone" behind me know that I have said allergy than for them to be eating nuts.

Really, and I think most people who share my allergy would agree, can we merely just get an airline to actually agree to serve guaranteed nut-free food on the plane, rather than this "we can't guarantee" anything BS - especially if I am on a J or F ticket. I am just about up to my eyeballs eating fruit platters on flights (especially trans-pac).
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:07 pm

@:-)

People with nut allergies should be made to wear a sign to alert other passengers of their allergy. A no u-turn sign with a peanut replacing the u-turn would work well I think - one on the forehead and one on the back.

Too bad Maryse Durette works for TC and not the CTA because her common sense approach to things would have demanded such signs.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:34 pm
RTR

Programs: hilton honours, spg
Originally Posted by why fly
ok first I have to pay for FAT people to fly and now this...... we need to fire 90% of the people at the CTA.
Oh I second that!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
The Globe piece reports that Sophia Huyer (who lodged the complaint) is an "international consultant".

Actually:

• Senior Advisor at Third World Organization of Women in Science (TWOWS)
  • Director at Gender Advisory Board, UNCSTD

Enough said.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
I think this is really going to create a slippery slope for Air Canada... Where do you draw the line?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
I think this is really going to create a slippery slope for Air Canada... Where do you draw the line?
A slippery slope for all Canadian airlines as the OP's linked article notes:

The CTA ruling only applies to Air Canada, but an agency spokesperson said other airlines typically follow suit in such situations.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
The CTA ruling only applies to Air Canada, but an agency spokesperson said other airlines typically follow suit in such situations.
Really... is there another ailrine in Canada?

I can't imagine Porter jumping on that band-wagon too quick!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:43 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by RESGIRL
How is AC or any other airline suppose to stop passengers in certain rows from opening their own bag of nuts?
If you outlaw peanuts, only outlaws will have peanuts!
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: AC, AS; NEXUS+GE
Angry Insanity!

Originally Posted by klparrot
They can pry my J-cabin nut dish from my cold dead hands!
^ Agree fully!

The only thing these types of cases -- as well as government tribunals in general -- are good for is keeping lawyers gainfully employed. A further CanWest article indicates that Air Canada can get out of the order provided it can demonstrate some level of business related hardship.

Furthermore, according to the same article, a lobby group has also piled on -- along with the usual weasel words -- vaguely referring to "some studies" demonstrating that a portion of allergy sufferers had "reactrions" in-flight. A less scientific argument I cannot imagine ...
" ... Gwen Smith, editor-in-chief of Canadian magazine Allergic Living, spearheaded a campaign to get Air Canada to develop clear policies on allergies to minimize the risk of inflight allergic reactions. ...

"We need some formal policies. It really is risky. We found studies showing that up to one in 10 people with nut and peanut allergies were having reactions on flights, so this is significant," said Smith.
... "
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by ain't got time to take a fast train
^ Agree fully!

The only thing these types of cases -- as well as government tribunals in general -- are good for is keeping lawyers gainfully employed. A further CanWest article indicates that Air Canada can get out of the order provided it can demonstrate some level of business related hardship.

Furthermore, according to the same article, a lobby group has also piled on -- along with the usual weasel words -- vaguely referring to "some studies" demonstrating that a portion of allergy sufferers had "reactrions" in-flight. A less scientific argument I cannot imagine ...
" ... Gwen Smith, editor-in-chief of Canadian magazine Allergic Living, spearheaded a campaign to get Air Canada to develop clear policies on allergies to minimize the risk of inflight allergic reactions. ...

"We need some formal policies. It really is risky. We found studies showing that up to one in 10 people with nut and peanut allergies were having reactions on flights, so this is significant," said Smith.
... "
Makes the global warming crowd East Anglia look almost credible, at least they pretended to have peer reviewed data.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
What a joke. Is there a gluten free zone, too? How about carb free zone for health conscious flyers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.