Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC flight HNL to YVR went mechanical any compensation due?

Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion

My friends are still stuck in Hawaii as their flight had a mechanical problem last night. They were put up in a hotel by AC and given food vouchers. They hope to get out tonight. Are they entitled to any other compensation? Thx
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
In my book, an extra day in Hawai'i amounts to excellent compensation in itself.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:18 pm

According to AC

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...fl_delays.html

8 hours or more:
For circumstances within Air Canada's control - If your flight has been rescheduled to depart the next day, you may be entitled to meal vouchers, hotel accommodation and transportation to and from the airport. Ask an Air Canada airport agent for assistance.

For other compensation your are better off to review your Credit Card's Trip Interruption / Delay insurance.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What are they expecting? They should be thankful they are spending another day in the warmth rather than being back here in Canada...and perhaps sitting on the bottom of the Pacific ocean!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by Shareholder
What are they expecting? They should be thankful they are spending another day in the warmth rather than being back here in Canada...and perhaps sitting on the bottom of the Pacific ocean!
You know, as nice as Hawaii is, I imagine spending another day in Honolulu (not the world's most idyllic city) can sometimes rank below actually being at home working and earning one's salary. Life is often more than a dreamy fantasy for some.
As far as passengers being thankful they're stranded instead of "sitting at the bottom of the ocean"....seriously?!?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threepoint
You know, as nice as Hawaii is, I imagine spending another day in Honolulu (not the world's most idyllic city) can sometimes rank below actually being at home working and earning one's salary.
Plus, HNL is a dump.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
The location is irrelevant, these people might have jobs to get back to, may be paying for an extra day at the kennel, or a million other instances where this is a huge inconvenience.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by Stranger
Plus, HNL is a dump.
Originally Posted by pkeung
The location is irrelevant, these people might have jobs to get back to, may be paying for an extra day at the kennel (...)
Wow. I didn't realize that HNL was that bad!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Really? Their expectation is to make it home in one piece of coarse, but all 4 are eitherl missing work or school, they have to pay extra parking, house sitter, lost wages, ferry reservations etc.

AC has given them meal vouchers and a hotel room plus they are supplying transportation back to the airport if they can get the replacement part there today, otherwise they'll be staying another night.

It was me asking on their behalf (not them being greedy) and thanks to everyone else for their answers.

Last edited by weather; Jan 4, 2010 at 4:57 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Definitely keep a record of the flight delay.

After they get back, write to aeroplan customer service, and request compensation. Two years ago we were flying YYZ to NRT, to connect to TPE. The flight was delayed 1 hr. After we got on, we waited 2-3 hr, then were told another pilot had to be found because of the maximum number of pilot time was exceeded. Then snow began to come down. Six hours later we departed. We missed the connection in NRT. Were put in a hotel with breakfast voucher, but it was only 4-5 hr sleep, to catch a different flight the next morning. I wrote, and they gave each of us 7,500 aeroplan points.

YMMV.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Oh, I should've added. When we were stuck in the AC flight for 6 hr, we were not offered meal or drinks. The flight attendants only came around with water for anyone needing it.

We brought a few sweet buns and gave to our kids. But it was not enough, they were hungry. About an hour after take off, they served a meal. A lot of people were very hungry by then.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC*E, Airmiles Onyx (reluctantly), Marriott Titanium, IHG PC Platinum
Originally Posted by tomh009
Wow. I didn't realize that HNL was that bad!
It makes no sense that just because you're stuck at a resort you should forgo compensation for the inconvenience.

And remember "different strokes for different folks", I would have no interest in being stuck in HNL as I am not the beach/resort type, my "vacations" have had me in Cambodia and Burma (on separate trips) this year. While I wouldn't mind being stuck in either country for an extra day there (minus the extra costs involved for not returning home on time), would you in turn expect extra compensation if you were stuck there and it isn't considered a desirable location in your eyes?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by Stranger
Plus, HNL is a dump.
LOL. As opposed to Calgary...
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by weather
AC has given them meal vouchers and a hotel room plus they are supplying transportation back to the airport if they can get the replacement part there today, otherwise they'll be staying another night.
I think that this is all they are really entitled to, its not like they are going pay for lost wages or tutors to help the kids catch up with their missed schooling. That being said, definetly write customer service after the trip. I would not doubt it at all if you received credits for future travel as a gesture of good will (who knows, they may even give out MCO's upon check-in, etc.).
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Anybody who goes that far for a vacation should never schedule themselves back to work within hours of returning home. There are always possibilities of unexpected occurrences that need to be considered. AC is playing it safe by not flying a defective aircraft but they should not be expected to pay for a lost day's pay, kennel charges or the like. That's what trip interruption insurance is for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.