Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Heads Up: Ridiculous Hold Times for Air Canada Reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads Up: Ridiculous Hold Times for Air Canada Reservations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:24 pm

There are only 2 call centers that are open 24hrs. YSJ and YMQ. The one that generally has the most staffing in YSJ. On Saturday night, during the storm, my understanding is that only 2 agents were in YSJ RES.
Over the last week with the weather problems and the new increased security measures, we have very rarely had less than 300 calls waiting to be answered. It is much easier to answer 300 calls waiting when you have a full day staff. When you are left with maybe 6 agents total. Sometimes the agent would like to cry...myself included.
I have to say that in my experience, most passengers have been calm and it certainly makes things much easier.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:40 pm

I'm calling to clog the lines again to request an upgrade.

Tell me why i'm still listening to a message we are delayed because of weather in eastern Canada?

On hold, on hold on hold on hold....................

Anyone answering Elite line?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: meh
Had to use the Elite line 3 times today as YKA saw all inbound flights and all but 1 outbound flight (the 6am which was parked over night) get cancelled. In all of those calls I didn't wait more than 5 minutes for someone to pick up on the other end.

Now it would be nice if I didn't have to listen to the stuff about the delays in Eastern Canada and to "...please try re-booking online..." Pressing a number on the keypad ("1" is the next option for reservations) didn't skip ahead at all. Instead I had to sit through listening to this over and over.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
In addition to the bad weather, i would suspect that queries and confusion regarding enhanced security procedures and cabin baggage has caused the call volume to surge.

As an alternative/last resort, I recall another FT member pointed out that the RES office in Mexico City is open 24 hours a day.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by RESGIRL
There are only 2 call centers that are open 24hrs. YSJ and YMQ. The one that generally has the most staffing in YSJ. On Saturday night, during the storm, my understanding is that only 2 agents were in YSJ RES.
Over the last week with the weather problems and the new increased security measures, we have very rarely had less than 300 calls waiting to be answered. It is much easier to answer 300 calls waiting when you have a full day staff. When you are left with maybe 6 agents total. Sometimes the agent would like to cry...myself included.
I have to say that in my experience, most passengers have been calm and it certainly makes things much easier.
RESGIRL do you think these layoffs a few year ago had an negative effect? Would these workers otherwise be present today?
Were there other layoffs too?

Also, my company has a backup plan where we can work from home in case of a disaster.

It requires a phone, computer, and internet connection. Who doesn't have these items at home...
You just remotely connect to your work computer over the internet, and then dial a number on a work blackberry and it turns the blackberry into your work phone extension.

There are 40 people in my office.
I would expect a large national company to have such a plan in place.
AC?

http://www.canada.com/topics/finance...d1d6d6&k=50529

Air Canada laying off 280 call centre staff

Air Canada is laying off more than 280 staff at call centres and airports across the country starting next month.

By CanWest News ServiceSeptember 14, 2006
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Allan MacDonald, his wife and children were supposed to fly out of Charlottetown on an Air Canada flight at 6:15 a.m. Monday on their way home to Fort McMurray, Alta.

"Apparently, the planes never came in last night," MacDonald said. "So, we got told we can leave this coming Saturday.

"They don't try to help you. The guy at the ticket counter didn't know a thing. He just gave us a 1-800 number to call, and when we called it, we were sitting on the line for an hour and a half to be told 'call us back later.'"

MacDonald and his family are staying with relatives

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edwa...yed-storm.html
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: no status
Are the waiting times as long for the local Montreal number, instead of toll-free?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
My Experience

At 5:00pm in YWG I just waited 6 minutes to connect with someone via the Elite Phone Number... Not too long at all, but the longest I have ever had to wait!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:26 pm

Tangoer,

It's hard to say how the layoffs are affecting the wait times. The most recent layoffs were caused when Aeroplan agents had to decide to stay with Aeroplan or Air Canada. I know there are some agents still on layoff status from that since October. We have been told by the company that there are no plans to bring these agents back. I don't know the number of agents on layoff. Most definitely the new security restrictions going to the U.S. is making res really busy with passengers trying to understand the new regulations and also wanting to make sure they didn't miss the latest update. Again today it was no less than 300 calls waiting all the time.

Also, work at home has been talked about for years now. It has yet to be implemented for canadian employees. Some TPA based employees do work from home. I am sorry I didn't have a better answer.
Resgirl.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:33 pm

have to say i called E line today and the wait-time was less than 3 minutes despite the announcement "Higher than normal call volumes"
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:37 pm

Your Elite/Supe Elite line numbers are worth gold these days. Average wait was about 30 minutes today for regular line. ( during my shift anyway)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K, Mariott Ambassador Elite,
Called at Midnight to request an upgrade, big surprise could not request one online.

Was on hold for 1Hour 15min. Then got cut off!!! GRRR. This was the 2009 Elite line. Has it been disconnected? I feel stupid for waiting till midnight for calling in as it will probably be 5am before I get through to someone.

I'm on hold again, this time chose the French option. I do speak French but I would prefere not to have to try and cheat the system, but after being on hold for over an hour and then being disconnected I don't really feel like I'm cutting in line. We shall see how long this wait is....10min and counting.. 1:24am EST
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by RESGIRL
Your Elite/Supe Elite line numbers are worth gold these days. Average wait was about 30 minutes today for regular line. ( during my shift anyway)
You know, it would really be reassuring to see someone like Colin make a public statement:

"As CEO of Air Canada, I know there are frustrations, with baggage, with call center calls AND the ongoing security/logistical challenges in Canadian airports.

As CEO, I can assure you that these issues matter, and that we are taking the following actions:

a)
b)
c)

I promise to keep you to date on a daily basis with respect to our progress on each of these issues."

This is just basic PR common sense. Without it, the customer continues to stew and bubble and turn each and every negative experience into another notch towards the negative side of the meter.

Does Air Canada PR not understand simple PR and that leadership and PR starts at the top?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by TVTravels
Called at Midnight to request an upgrade, big surprise could not request one online.

Was on hold for 1Hour 15min. Then got cut off!!! GRRR. This was the 2009 Elite line. Has it been disconnected? I feel stupid for waiting till midnight for calling in as it will probably be 5am before I get through to someone.
Had similar experience Thurs night at 11pm EST. Called 2009 Elite Reservations line and the "computer" told me that estimated wait time is greater than 45min. Can anyone confirm if the 2009 Elite numbers still work?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K, Mariott Ambassador Elite,
Originally Posted by TVTravels

I'm on hold again, this time chose the French option. I do speak French but I would prefere not to have to try and cheat the system, but after being on hold for over an hour and then being disconnected I don't really feel like I'm cutting in line. We shall see how long this wait is....10min and counting.. 1:24am EST
To update from last night. Called 4 different times. Kept getting cut off after being on hold over an hour. Finally gave up at 4am.

Today I got through in like 15 seconds. My guess is they turn the Elite number off overnight due to lack of staff and we are in the general cue. But the waits are still ridiculous for the general cue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.