Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ac-YUL
Once again....

YVRHNL is XM only on Saturdays.
YVROGG is XM all days except Saturday.
YVRKOA is always XM
YYCHNL/OGG are always non-XM

And, once again... the non-XM aircraft have new interiors throughout, minus PTVs. J features a basic domestic J seat.

They are not "ratty", they're not even the oldest 763s in the fleet, and they will get you where you need to go and a fare that (hopefully) works for you.
OK, I hear you. I just read in earlier posts that they had only changed or recovered the seats in the interior. If, by your information, they have actually refurbished everything then I will be very happy with that. I just did not like falling objects (made me a bit scared), peeling wall paper, stained seats and non-working overhead lights on my last non xm'd flight. And to me that did seem a bit "ratty" for AC. Thank you ac-YUL for the update on these planes, much appreciated.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It's now called Comfort Plus

On international routes it will hence forth be called Comfort Plus and there will be a special charge for these enhanced seats:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...mfortplus.html
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ac-YUL
Once again....

YVRHNL is XM only on Saturdays.
YVROGG is XM all days except Saturday.
YVRKOA is always XM
YYCHNL/OGG are always non-XM
I'm looking at YVR-OGG at the end of April and the online pdf schedule indicates there is daily service. The booking engine (which I assume is correct) doesn't show any AC flights after the 25th or so. Does it stop completely?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Shareholder
On international routes it will hence forth be called Comfort Plus and there will be a special charge for these enhanced seats:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...mfortplus.html
It will be interesting to see what happens if a "comfort plus" flight necessitates an equipment change and gets an XMd 763... $249 one way is quite a steal for what used to be executive class seating.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:20 pm

now you'll have another option on YVR(area) to Hawaii, old 752s

http://www.allegiantair.com/aaNews/aaNews20100305a.php
Old Mar 6, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by CZBB
now you'll have another option on YVR(area) to Hawaii, old 752s

http://www.allegiantair.com/aaNews/aaNews20100305a.php
Very nice, these guys are good as they serve smaller communities and border towns. Last May six of us flew to vegas from Bellingham & Great Falls for $29 each way. Just bring a carry on, wait for seat assigment and its cheap! For the money they sure make it cheap and fun to take weekend trips to Vegas & LA and in the East Florida!^

Now a six hour flight to Hawaii, well it's just like flying the old AC 767, bring a BIG Book or OD on Asprins and sleep!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by why fly
BLA BLA BLA.......... its domestic flight get over it! It offers a domestic/Trans J seat!
If J is not worth the money why are you buying it? Y is for sale buy that!
It's the old "if you don't like the service, don't bother" pill.
This thread has been concentrating on the YVR-HNL "tourist" flights but these aircraft are also used on the YVR-VRA service and "Y" was certainly NOT on sale.
I flew J (for 50% more points) because they wanted 100% more for "Priority" seats in Y - the only seats available FIVE MONTHS before the flight.
This was not a "domestic, trans-border" flight. We needed visas for Cuba.
There was NO "warning" message as I've seen posted here when I booked to tell me that the front cabin was not upgraded but I guessed that the 2-2-2 config was a hint.

Unlike a normal international J flight (over 6 hours) there was :
No AVOD -indeed my seat audio was not even working.
No "amenity pack".
No drink before takeoff -just water. On the return leg they added orange juice.
No priority for E/SE staus when ordering meals. They started at the last seat on the opposite side of the aircraft and had run out of the edible option by the time they got to me.
And I was not happy to find my armrest tightly taped down as there was NO tray table inside. I was in luck on the return leg: different bird so others got the broken armrests and I got a table to eat from.

I think that most of us (well some anyway) who are posting in the FlyerTalk AC forum are experienced travelers who have come to expect a degree of good service from our preferred airline. Foisting these old, damaged and dirty aircraft on us with the excuse that "it's essentially just a charter vacation flight" does not cut it.

CB
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:34 pm

I thought that the carribean destinations were also "NA J" regardless of length (i.e. no ammenity kits, etc.). I know that you can get 763's with pods on certain routes from eastern Canada.

That being said, a few years ago I flew YEG-PUJ and found the J service to be less than what you would get on a typical NA J flight. In this case I didn't really mind that much since the flight was booked through ACV and the upgrade was only $300. I thought the service was a little too "laid back" which I could understand if the flight was only sold through ACV, however this flight was also sold on the main AC.com website, so I expected typical mainline NA J service.

Yes, at the time I knew the flight would be on a 767 (as opposed to the 763's now in service), so expected the 2x2x2, it wasn't the seats that disappointed me.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:39 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Originally Posted by cbob
It's the old "if you don't like the service, don't bother" pill.
This thread has been concentrating on the YVR-HNL "tourist" flights but these aircraft are also used on the YVR-VRA service and "Y" was certainly NOT on sale.
I flew J (for 50% more points) because they wanted 100% more for "Priority" seats in Y - the only seats available FIVE MONTHS before the flight.
This was not a "domestic, trans-border" flight. We needed visas for Cuba.
There was NO "warning" message as I've seen posted here when I booked to tell me that the front cabin was not upgraded but I guessed that the 2-2-2 config was a hint.

Unlike a normal international J flight (over 6 hours) there was :
No AVOD -indeed my seat audio was not even working.
No "amenity pack".
No drink before takeoff -just water. On the return leg they added orange juice.
No priority for E/SE staus when ordering meals. They started at the last seat on the opposite side of the aircraft and had run out of the edible option by the time they got to me.
And I was not happy to find my armrest tightly taped down as there was NO tray table inside. I was in luck on the return leg: different bird so others got the broken armrests and I got a table to eat from.

I think that most of us (well some anyway) who are posting in the FlyerTalk AC forum are experienced travelers who have come to expect a degree of good service from our preferred airline. Foisting these old, damaged and dirty aircraft on us with the excuse that "it's essentially just a charter vacation flight" does not cut it.

CB
wow. I thought everyone has been saying " don't worry they ha ve been fixed, they just have domestic J and no AVOD, Everything else is great". I guess you must be mistaken about your experience

Last edited by 7E7; Mar 9, 2010 at 7:16 am
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
There are no Executive First Suites and no AVOD. That has been discussed ad nauseam by the in-house experts. It's not a planned conspiracy against the West. YYZ & YUL will have their turn this summer as the 3 amigos fly to ATH, BCN & DUB. In the absence of PTV's and mood lighting, I'll still be welcoming you with open arms.

For marketing and catering purposes, the flight in question (YVR-VRA) is considered domestic North American product and not International. The meal levels are the same as you would find on comparable YYZ-UVF or YUL-BGI flights - no amenity kits provided for all of the above. The prevalence of burnt out lights or unserviceable tray tables are no more common on these aircraft than on any other. When appraised, we log deficient items, and they get fixed during the next station stop.

I have flown on 2 of the 3 aircraft this winter, and have not found them to be dirty, damaged or dilapidated, while under the realization that they are not the crown jewels of the fleet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.