Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
They were running an XM 763. Ironically half the cabin was pissed off because they weren't sitting together anymore; however, I thought I'd won the lottery.
I've had this experience too on XM'd Hawaii flights. It's amazing how much it annoys people, even on the red-eye return leg. It's a good reason for AC to use the non-XM 763s, because I'm sure they'll have had complaints about the pods.

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
On the HNL flight the service director did a good job of musical chairs to get everyone close to their families and even tracked down the SEs to their new seats for meal orders.
I get asked to swap seats in J more than 50% of the time on that route. It's very tiresome, and I've never yet seen an SD keep track of the changes.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 8:18 pm

so they are ticked off that they run XM planes....n they are ticked off that the planes are non XMed..... so make up a mind!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Ac1624 yyc-yyz

This Wednesday (Jan 6th), the 2nd redeye from YYC to YYZ is on a 763 which is an unusual aircraft for this route as far as I know. I bought a Tango Plus ticket in the hopes of purchasing a LMU. Will this be an old aircraft or an XM'ed one?

When you click on "Preview Seat Availability" on ac.com, the seat map shows a 1-1-1 configuration, as does the KVS Availability Tool which leads me to believe that it's an XM'ed aircraft. However, when you search and select this flight on ac.com, there is a note next to the flight stating "Flight AC1624 does not feature our new cabin interior."
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:10 pm

Programs: AC E, Delta Platinum Plus, Hertz Gold
AC1624 YYC-YYZ

I saw that one, too. I'm on AC146, which is the normal red-eye on the 6th. I decided on that rather than the 767 because of the much better connection to YHZ.

However, it would really be nice to have the pods to Toronto.

David
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:34 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Nobody is forcing you to buy a J ticket (even though they've been pretty deeply discounted on this route, given the level of actual service provided) and if you want to pay, then consider flying a US carrier via SFO or LAX or SEA.
I know no one is forcing me to buy a J ticket. I wanted to buy 3 J tickets, however due to the nature of the aircraft I chose to buy 3 much less expensive - and less revnue for Air Canada - Y tickets.

We will be just as comfortable based on the various reports in our 3 Y seats as we would be in J if we had chosen that.

Hopefully they have better aircraft on this route next winter, and I will buy the J seats.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:01 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by BobsterWat
This Wednesday (Jan 6th), the 2nd redeye from YYC to YYZ is on a 763 which is an unusual aircraft for this route as far as I know. I bought a Tango Plus ticket in the hopes of purchasing a LMU. Will this be an old aircraft or an XM'ed one?

When you click on "Preview Seat Availability" on ac.com, the seat map shows a 1-1-1 configuration, as does the KVS Availability Tool which leads me to believe that it's an XM'ed aircraft. However, when you search and select this flight on ac.com, there is a note next to the flight stating "Flight AC1624 does not feature our new cabin interior."
The aircraft is currently slated to be Fin 646, an XM'd 767. As the various employee's on this board have already said, it is very, very unlikely that a non-XM'd 767 will hit any one of the 'normal' routes (outside of the AC Vacations/HI routes, this winter).
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by BobsterWat
This Wednesday (Jan 6th), the 2nd redeye from YYC to YYZ is on a 763 which is an unusual aircraft for this route as far as I know.
Anything to do with the World Junior Hockey finishing in Saskatoon Tue night? At this point, seatcounter shows zeros across the board for flights out of YXE on Wed, and there are more connections to YYC than anywhere else.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:36 pm

"Preview Seat Availability: AC047AC047AC047AC047AC047
Convert currency
Flight AC47 does not feature our new cabin interior.

Preview Seat Availability: AC048AC048AC048AC048AC048
Convert currency
Flight AC48 does not feature our new cabin interior."

It is clearly mentioned on the AC website that services to Hawaii are operated by non-XM aircraft. Please see bolded part above.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by mark_ac
"Preview Seat Availability: AC047AC047AC047AC047AC047
Convert currency
Flight AC47 does not feature our new cabin interior.

Preview Seat Availability: AC048AC048AC048AC048AC048
Convert currency
Flight AC48 does not feature our new cabin interior."

It is clearly mentioned on the AC website that services to Hawaii are operated by non-XM aircraft. Please see bolded part above.
The question would be though how long has this message been active?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by getaround
The question would be though how long has this message been active?
It has been active since the deployment of the aircraft on this route was decided and released for public sale.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by LRESFG
Anything to do with the World Junior Hockey finishing in Saskatoon Tue night? At this point, seatcounter shows zeros across the board for flights out of YXE on Wed, and there are more connections to YYC than anywhere else.
Nope.

This flight is an extra section to accommodate loads for the holiday rush. I'm not sure when it started, but it has been running as a 767 for a little while and it looks like the 6th is the last day for the flight.

Last edited by Jazzed91; Jan 4, 2010 at 1:19 pm
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:24 am

cun,mbj and vra

There are also using these 3 aircraft on these routes out of YVR.

Ramp Roscoe
YVR
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: AC AP Elite
Whether XM's or not, no biggie, but what I do not understand is why AC puts such grotty planes on this route. I flew there last year on a 1988 vintage 762 that was literally falling apart inside, worn out seats, peeling paint, tattered carpets, broken locks on bathroom doors etc etc etc. Fortunately retired soon there after. The rest of their fleet, new or upgraded is so good in comparison. Sort of like we know you want to go to Hawaii really bad so who cares if this plane looks like crap.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by a78jumper
Whether XM's or not, no biggie, but what I do not understand is why AC puts such grotty planes on this route. I flew there last year on a 1988 vintage 762 that was literally falling apart inside, worn out seats, peeling paint, tattered carpets, broken locks on bathroom doors etc etc etc. Fortunately retired soon there after. The rest of their fleet, new or upgraded is so good in comparison. Sort of like we know you want to go to Hawaii really bad so who cares if this plane looks like crap.
In 1988 - the B762 was less than 4 years old....vintage?

Air Canada just undertook a significant investment to get these airplanes (fins 687/689 and 690) into good condition. There are new seats, new carpets, refurbished premium seats and other modifications to get these airplanes into good condition for flying. I personally visited the aircraft and found them to be in relatively good shape.

Now in terms of Hawaii, one will quickly realize that few carriers from North America put their "premium" aircraft on this market. United flies a high density B777, AA/UA also fly some of their older 757s on the market along with USAirways/Delta.

I don't see any injustice with Air Canada's service. It is providing the most capacity in the winter between Canada and Hawaii.

Unfortunately Hawaii is a leisure market that does not command premium yields as a premium route does. As a result Air Canada has taken an opportunity to cater to the market's needs (and it's own) by re-configuring aircrafts that in turn will satisfy both consumer and operator.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
In 1988 - the B762 was less than 4 years old....vintage?
I think he meant he flew last year on an aircraft that was built circa 1988

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.