Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Old 763's on YVR-HNL route

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:11 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
I have flown on average twice per year to Hawaii over the past 5 years and will be flying in J to HNL via YYC at the end of January. Regarding the points made in this thread:

1) I'm not sure what happened with the OP, but it was made VERY clear to me at time of booking that the 767 to Hawaii on my upcoming trip was NOT XM-ed. Thus, I will not be making the mistake of having any preconceived expectations of a suite.

2) In terms of the comparability of the non-XMed AC J versus other NA carriers J service to Hawaii, I would probably concur broadly with the other posters that it is roughly similar, at least in terms of food and seat. Still though, I really really wish AC could offer a free personal media player in J. It has been a very long time since I flew a 7 hour flight without personal entertainment, and I think it would be relatively simple to rent out a personal media player as is done on HA, Alaska and UA on their ps service. A long time back I was flying HA Y from HNL to PHX and I paid US$10 to rent their 'DIG-E player'. I still think it was well worth it, making the flight go much much faster.

Wish AC could provide this:
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/Flights/digEplayer.asp
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
There is a thread about this already and Andrew has done a good job explaining which aircraft and routes these three planes are on. I beleive the three non XM 767 are C-GHPD 687, C-GHPF 689 & C-GHPH 690. Andrew has already shared this info, but I cant find his post, but I beleive these are the three planes. With the new security BS, bringing stuff on board is limited so these will be even more boring flights!

How do you know if you are booking onto one of these flights? The hint for frequent flyers of course is when booking your seats and you see in J the old confirguration as already stated.

My SSWU cert expire Feb 28 and my family and I are scheduled to fly out on Jan 20th from YVR to HNL and then to YYC on one of these, so the more people who do not fly because of this, the better the chances of us being upgraded
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
There is a thread about this already and Andrew has done a good job explaining which aircraft and routes these three planes are on. I beleive the three non XM 767 are C-GHPD 687, C-GHPF 689 & C-GHPH 690. Andrew has already shared this info, but I cant find his post, but I beleive these are the three planes. With the new security BS, bringing stuff on board is limited so these will be even more boring flights!

How do you know if you are booking onto one of these flights? The hint for frequent flyers of course is when booking your seats and you see in J the old confirguration as already stated.

My SSWU cert expire Feb 28 and my family and I are scheduled to fly out on Jan 20th from YVR to HNL and then to YYC on one of these, so the more people who do not fly because of this, the better the chances of us being upgraded
Yep - and this is exactly what I was alluding to earlier.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13033183-post5.html
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: LH Senator, bmi, VS Flying Club Silver, BA Exec Club, Amex Centurion
Oh dear.

In late January I am flying LHR-YYZ-BOG on AC in their equivalent of business class. Both sectors are on 767s, and I think that the London- Toronto leg will be on a refurbished 767 with the new product, but I think that the Toronto- Bogota leg will be on the old style aircraft?

What is the old J seat like, is there IFE. This is my first time flying Air Canada, so if anyone has any tips or knowledge about their service, it would be appreciated. I normally fly LX/LH. How does AC compare?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by naftaflyer

I have been doing this route in January for nearly 10 years. Based on the aircraft, for the first time I would seriously consider moving my revenue business and taking Westjet next time.
You're kidding right? Smaller seat pitch in Y and the risk of heading to SFO for a fuel top up if the winds are wrong?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by naftaflyer
Every seat was sold out on this flight -- so it is unlikely that headoffice will know what a bad decision it was to run these aircraft.
If every seat was sold out, it seems to me it was a good decision to run the aircraft...
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cambrian
but I think that the Toronto- Bogota leg will be on the old style aircraft?
No, this flight will be operated by XM aircraft at least through the winter season.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Cambrian
Oh dear.

In late January I am flying LHR-YYZ-BOG on AC in their equivalent of business class. Both sectors are on 767s, and I think that the London- Toronto leg will be on a refurbished 767 with the new product, but I think that the Toronto- Bogota leg will be on the old style aircraft?

What is the old J seat like, is there IFE. This is my first time flying Air Canada, so if anyone has any tips or knowledge about their service, it would be appreciated. I normally fly LX/LH. How does AC compare?

You are safe this January as that is the XM product and of course LHR is also the updated product. You will enjoy the service, no need to worry. If you really want to know what the old J class seats were like......remember the TV show "All in the family" if you do, the same chair that Archie Bunker sat in, well that is the model AC used
Old Jan 2, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by jbb
Still though, I really really wish AC could offer a free personal media player in J. It has been a very long time since I flew a 7 hour flight without personal entertainment, and I think it would be relatively simple to rent out a personal media player as is done on HA, Alaska and UA on their ps service. A long time back I was flying HA Y from HNL to PHX and I paid US$10 to rent their 'DIG-E player'. I still think it was well worth it, making the flight go much much faster.

Wish AC could provide this:
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/Flights/digEplayer.asp
Totally understandable. Bear in mind that with the exception of 3 aircraft, AVOD is the cornerstone of Air Canada's mainline fleet. I can only assume that the cost of supplying and servicing 3 aircraft with DVD's or digi-players would be prohibitively expensive. Bear in mind that on HA and AS, this type of personal entertainment is the cornerstone of their fleets, and only on select routes. I'll have my first run on this aircraft later this month, and will be able to comment more out of experience than on speculation. I'll have to come up with some novel ways of amusing y'all.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:05 pm
jbb

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Totally understandable. Bear in mind that with the exception of 3 aircraft, AVOD is the cornerstone of Air Canada's mainline fleet. I can only assume that the cost of supplying and servicing 3 aircraft with DVD's or digi-players would be prohibitively expensive. Bear in mind that on HA and AS, this type of personal entertainment is the cornerstone of their fleets, and only on select routes. I'll have my first run on this aircraft later this month, and will be able to comment more out of experience than on speculation. I'll have to come up with some novel ways of amusing y'all.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely recognise that AC's IFE is far superior to any other mainline NA airline- its one of the core reasons I choose to fly AC on my transatlantic flights, even to the US. I used to fly UA Y from LHR to SFO and LAX and remember the tiny Iphone-sized personal screens and the lack of on demand. As someone who flies short-medium haul within Europe a fair bit too, I think its very impressive that AC is able to offer on-demand personal IFE even on its short-haul routes- something which no European carrier (AFAIK) offers, even in their business classes!

I must admit, that over the past 5 years my perception of AC has radically changed owing to their fleet refurbishment. I've gone from criticising an airline which seemed years behind the competition to now happily telling colleagues that its the best carrier in NA.

That AC only maintains 3 of these non-XMed 767's out of their entire long-haul fleet is also a reason why I don't freak out over occasionally getting put on a route with one of these (unfortunately as I fly to HI though, it tends to be more often than not!) Providing the DIG-e players though, was something that I thought AC could do relatively cheaply. I have no idea about revenue sharing and cost structures for the DIG-E players, but I always assumed that the DIG-E player company simply got a proportion of the revenues generated from rental fees...
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by jbb
Don't get me wrong, I definitely recognise that AC's IFE is far superior to any other mainline NA airline- its one of the core reasons I choose to fly AC on my transatlantic flights, even to the US. I used to fly UA Y from LHR to SFO and LAX and remember the tiny Iphone-sized personal screens and the lack of on demand. As someone who flies short-medium haul within Europe a fair bit too, I think its very impressive that AC is able to offer on-demand personal IFE even on its short-haul routes- something which no European carrier (AFAIK) offers, even in their business classes!

I must admit, that over the past 5 years my perception of AC has radically changed owing to their fleet refurbishment. I've gone from deriding an airline which seemed years behind the competition to now happily telling colleagues that its the best carrier in NA.

That AC only maintains 3 of these non-XMed 767's out of their entire long-haul fleet is also a reason why I don't freak out over occasionally getting put on a route with one of these (unfortunately as I fly to HI though, it tends to be more often than not!) Providing the DIG-e players though, was something that I thought AC could do relatively cheaply. I have no idea about revenue sharing and cost structures for the DIG-E players, but I always assumed that the DIG-E player company simply got a proportion of the revenues generated from rental fees...

You know it's not a big deal with no VOD or IFE. For my LAX flight next week and because of all of the delays and crap, I asked our IT department to put a few "in Theatre" movies on a couple of thumb drives and I will watch those in the line ups and at the gate. I will do the same when we fly down to HNL as I will have a ten year old with us. We all have net books or laptops or teh very least a $30 Wal Mart DVD player!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:28 pm
jbb

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
You know it's not a big deal with no VOD or IFE. For my LAX flight next week and because of all of the delays and crap, I asked our IT department to put a few "in Theatre" movies on a couple of thumb drives and I will watch those in the line ups and at the gate. I will do the same when we fly down to HNL as I will have a ten year old with us. We all have net books or laptops or teh very least a $30 Wal Mart DVD player!
Portable DVD Players: I really like to travel light on board, especially with the new US requirements and so don't want to have to lug another piece of equipment. This option also requires me to go and obtain several DVD's beforehand. Maybe I'm just fickle, but I don't want to be bothered with getting a membership at a rental place just to watch movies on a portable DVD player on the offchance I get a non-XMed 767.

Laptop: My laptop has a battery runtime of around 1 hour (I plan on getting a new one at some point later in the year) so using this as an option for IFE is also limited. Even assuming I had a decent new laptop, using it for entertainment would require downloading a bunch of stuff beforehand, which frankly I'd rather not be bothered with, besides the fact that it costs money. (A good friend of mine is in film distribution and has convinced me to not download illegally and somehow I don't think my IT department would be impressed if I put in a request for movies!).
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by arf04
You're kidding right? Smaller seat pitch in Y and the risk of heading to SFO for a fuel top up if the winds are wrong?
Westjet's legroom is at least the same as what AC offers (32 inch pitch on the 737-700 at every single seat). They also give you the option of pay per view movies, so at least you get some choice versus mainscreen on the HNL route with AC.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC 100k, Star Alliance Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Westjet Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I too flew on one of these birds from yyc-ogg last week and am really not looking forward to the red-eye retunr next week (even if I get lucky with my u/g).

These planes are ancient and should be retired if AC wants to continue selling seats to people on these routes in the future. The sheer disdain of the uneducated climbing on-board was astounding to witness. While I disagree with the poster who said that the website didn't state that they were using non-xm'd planes (as when you click on a fare, it clearly said that the plane didn't have a new cabin interior), but the average flyer doesn't understand what a "new cabin interior" is. They know that when they climb on an AC plane, they have a nice comfy seat and a TV in front of them.

Instead they got old seats and a laughable selection of movies of the blurry bulkhead screens. if you can believe it, they showed the Princess Bride on the flight, which was shot in 1987.

Can anyone explain why the movies are so old (the newest being from the early 90's)? Our guess is that the plane has VHS players and no current movies are still distro'd on VHS.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Make sure you dont follow these procedures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP8ld...om=PL&index=30

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.