Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:23 pm

Folks will be pissing themsleves not being able to go to the toilet for the last hour
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by airbus320
Intresting that these restrictions have financial repercussions. I found the following comment posted on a professional pilots website pprune.org

"Well, that ruined my Boxing Day. I was supposed to be organising a conference in Boston this March. The client has decided that he won't subject the relatively VIP audience to these indignities, so I have to find a venue in Europe by Tuesday AM.

That's 300 business class fares to America lost, and 4/5 room nights for each one. The client decided the 50 US based attendees can put up with it on their return leg.

This is a ridiculous over reaction.

Please dont talk about "The War on Terror"
This deserves a loud round of applause.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Many people may not understand that you are partially correct - there are security experts that know what they are talking about. And they're pretty much all in Israel.

Israel has more threats against it than any other country. And guess what - they don't have this problem. The have invested a lot into a proper security system that takes effect well before someone shows up at a screening checkpoint with a bottle of water, or a nail clipper. They look directly at you when they ask you questions, instead of worrying about whether the bottle of lotion you have in a little plastic baggy is 100 or 101 ml's.

Guess which country also doesn't have a problem with wacko's getting on planes?
A proper security system for a small country and national airline is one thing but is it reasonable to expect such proper screening procedures could be standardized and adopted throughout the rest of the world? I'm not so sure there would be either the capital or the polticial will, though it always sounds like a much better approach in the abstract. Don't mistake what I'm saying as there's nothing wrong with smarter more effective aviation security but just wonder if the Israeli avation security example could be carbon copied and applied globally on a consistent basis and at what cost.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
I have so many questions before I'm ready to submit to these new rules:

- why can't we use a laptop in the last hr, given it's already secruity screened? You know, every since Sept 11th. we have paid billions of our money for "increased security measures".
- Is this an admission that the current security measures are worthless?
- Where did our money go to?

- Is this really a "sophisticated worldwide terror group" who sends guys who can't even light a match to a sneaker, or set themsevles on fire properly? After what almost a decade now?

- Why are these cases always solved within 12 hours or so?
Everything all wrapped up into a neat little ball, with new rules for us in place overnight! Overnight! Our world changes, for the worse.

- What bad things cannot be accomplished in the first hour of flight that must be stopped in the last hour?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
I'm going YYZ-SFO on UA on 1/2

Let's hope I can allow to bring 2 carry-ons SFO-YYZ on UA on 1/2. I'm doing a MR with SFO-YYZ-FRA the next day on AC metal; don't think that'll affect me, but the outbound I hope I can get 2 onboard; tough to pack only 1 big item for 3 wks in Europe (even when laundry is available)!!!

I think I'll wear 10 layers of clothes to pack other stuff in my suitcase ... 2 layers of underwear, anyone? LOL

Everyone thanks for keeping us posted. Maybe someone should start a thread on "Live experience of Can-US border crossingl: updates"
GT
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by Tangoer
- why can't we use a laptop in the last hr, given it's already security screened?
The theory will be that you might be covering up explosive or incendiary devices on your lap with your laptop. Or blanket, magazine, paperback book or business card.

Just watch: we won't be allowed to put our hands on our laps or the armrests for the last hour, either, and will have to hold them up above the headrests where the crew (and air marshals) can see them for the final hour of the flight.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
...so another jerk off with his hate on America has ruined it for all of us as we continue to spend Billions and billions on security and we get what?

...I hate being bored on a flight so an hour before we land I have to sit there staring at the bulkheads? Can I read the safety card in front of me or is that not allowed? no laptops, no games, no PDA, can I masterbate? So an hour from landing this goes into effect, well even the dumbest inbread terrorist can do the math on this unless the airlines will now alterter their speeds to keep us guessing where they are? time tables are now a guide?

In two weeks I have to be in LA and Hawaii, great! Going to hawaii six hour flight, providing there is no on the plane delays, sure I will pee on the floor its an old 767 anyways, I have no problem with that, just like back in the early sixty's with international travel when you were from the third world, bathrooms?

Yup US travel will become oh so much fun. Well Canada its an opportunity to invite all of the world airlines to fly through Canada and avoid the US all togther! Think of the new revenue with everyone going through Canada instead of the US!

...yes I am pissed off with all of the wack jobs out there and then the over reaction from the rest!

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Dec 26, 2009 at 5:47 pm
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold
some questions unanswered

So the AC statement says that the new carry-on procedure is a TC/CATSA initiative and one can find an official notice on the TC and CATSA websites. However, there is no mention about this new "last hour of flight protocol" on their website. A separate article states that the "last hour of flight protocol" was at the request of the TSA, yet there is no official announcement from the TSA about anything. In fact, going to the TSA website all you see is a warning that there are additional screenings possible and that the carry-on limit for domestic US flights is unchanged. So where is this ridiculous "last hour of flight protocol" really coming from? Is it the TSA quietly asking TC? How on earth will it be enforced?

The good news for me is that all my travel is personal and none business-related, which means that I can just give up flying transborder, because this is really getting a little insane now.

At YYZ domestic MLL right now and lots of domestic Canada flights are affected (about a quarter of the flights from the looks of it) most likely due to late aircraft, short-staffed, etc. Hopefully they'll be able to smooth it out in the next few days.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
can I masterbate?
Currently there are no stated restrictions against this, provided you don't cover your lap with a blanket, er, get up within an hour of landing or, ahem, subject the other passengers to the sounds of loud pops.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Assuming all flights airlines inbound to the US have this policy, given UA elites get 100% RDM bonuses on AC TATLs/TPACs, I might have to move my business to AC. I can tolerate a 2 hour flight, YVR/YYC to DEN with no liquids or entertainment.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
I have not as yet had a chance to search for this article myself, but someone on the DL forum is saying that they just read an Associated Press article where it is claiming that the one bag rule is TSA but that the one hour no movement nonsense is being imposed by the individual airlines.

Simon
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Has anybody heard if these lunatic regulations only apply to flights going to the USA? Busy thinking of alternates to my usual winter trip to Hawai'i.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Unhappy

As always, every terrorist event is wrapped up/solved within 12 hours these days. Case closed! A government official speaking anonmously said...
This is getting to be a tad like the CSI and Law & Order scripts we're hooked on...everything is neatly wrapped up.

If this guy is a "wack job" then he must surely have an IQ of 50 or something..becuase any internet savvy teenager these days could invent/search a terrorist strategey that would actually work successfully . Maybe that's the point, these events are not supposed to work out. Maybe there is another point to them. Oh oh I've disrupted my congitive dissonance! Gotta run now.

We are now powerless to resist the full body scanning machines at the airports now. The contracts are a slam-dunk. The next step...chip in right hand? It'll proceed in the same way, folks, just wait for it.

http://www.verichipcorp.com/

Last edited by Tangoer; Dec 26, 2009 at 8:10 pm
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Some "analyst" named Charlene Li is claiming on Twitter that there are now NO ELECTRONICS allowed on international flights to the US. Has anyone else flown Canada-US today and can confirm/refute?

Simon
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by getaround
Folks will be pissing themsleves not being able to go to the toilet for the last hour

Hopefully funnels and 1 litre bottles will be passed out to pax on request. What an absolutely asinine rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.