Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Air Canada Travel Advisory: New U.S. security procedures

Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Another NW 253 AMS- Detroit which just landed ; the crew on board requested Emergency personnel meet the flight on landing. .

CNN reporting because there was an issue with passenger regarding the washroom and was unruly. .
Apparently the guy was in the loo for an hour and got upset when they started questioning him and became verbally abusive...

I'm so glad my first flight of the year isn't until the 13th... Hopefully by then the knee jerk reaction has subsided and given way to sanity.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by payam81
Apparently the guy was in the loo for an hour and got upset when they started questioning him and became verbally abusive...

I'm so glad my first flight of the year isn't until the 13th... Hopefully by then the knee jerk reaction has subsided and given way to sanity.
I'm glad mine is not until July! By then this will be all but forgotten
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC*E, AA, DL
I have 6 trips booked and paid for, and unfortunately the first one January 12th has a stop in CLT, I pray this stuff is over and done with by then.

January 19th I go to GIG and don't touch down in the USA, same thing for other trips to MDE and MNL upcoming.

But ya ya, the first one HAS to change planes in the USA.

Good grief
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Is she...

... mad?!

Still, in appearances on Sunday talk shows, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the traveling public "is very, very safe."

"This was one individual literally of thousands that fly and thousands of flights every year," Napolitano said. "And he was stopped before any damage could be done. I think the important thing to recognize here is that once this incident occurred, everything happened that should have."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091227/...irliner_attack

News flash Janet, he was not stopped, he managed to detonate, it's just that luckily it didn't work exactly the way it was supposed to!

How can she just brush it aside like that by saying it was just one person out of thousands?! And what exactly is "everything" that should have happened?! The fact that a vigilant pax managed to subdue the lunatic? She makes it sound like that was also a part of their grand system of air security!!!! Fact is, if the lunatic was successful, it's safe to say no one would have been left to stop him.

P.S: The guy in the second incident is also Nigerian. I kinda feel sorry for the Nigerians, it takes two apples to ruin it for all...

Last edited by payam81; Dec 27, 2009 at 3:08 pm
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: Nexus, Global Entry
I'm flying YVR-SEA-SFO tomorrow morning at 7:55. I guess I will be right in the thick of the knee-jerk-offs.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
News flash Janet, he was not stopped, he managed to detonate, it's just that luckily it didn't work exactly the way it was supposed to!

How can she just brush it aside like that by saying it was just one person out of thousands?! (...)
Especially when it's not one out of thousands. Over two billion passengers travel by air each year, on tens of millions of commercial flights. It's still one of the safest modes of transportation in the world.

Last edited by tomh009; Dec 27, 2009 at 3:29 pm Reason: Corrected stats
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by ssconfiguration
I'm flying YVR-SEA-SFO tomorrow morning at 7:55. I guess I will be right in the thick of the knee-jerk-offs.

....Because of the extra delays have you left for the airport yet? You not only have the lower mainland traffic but all of the new security in place for the Olympics and also for the threat of the week! Good thing there is a MLL on the us side!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:48 pm

quote:

AIR CANADA LIMITS PASSENGERS TO SINGLE PERSONAL CARRY-ON ITEM IN RESPONSE TO ENHANCED SECURITY REQUIREMENTS

Why does it not say that this applies to US-bound flights only? By not saying anything, people may assume that it applies to domestic flights within Canada as well.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:02 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
No they are actually major victories for the bad guys.

It's gotten to the point where they don't even really have to do anything anymore. They only need to find a few people willing to sacrifice themselves (or be looney) and have them keep pretending they're up to something until they get "caught." Then the US goes into melt-down mode and promptly imposes an economic blockade on itself.
Sage comments, Mr. hAAmer!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by saltspring
quote:

AIR CANADA LIMITS PASSENGERS TO SINGLE PERSONAL CARRY-ON ITEM IN RESPONSE TO ENHANCED SECURITY REQUIREMENTS

Why does it not say that this applies to US-bound flights only? By not saying anything, people may assume that it applies to domestic flights within Canada as well.
Does the statement differentiate what a "personal carry-on item" is vs. "carry-on luggage"?

To us FFers, this may be obvious, but to the peon layperson, this could be easily misinterpreted... (based on reading this statement, of course, a traveler could spend time researching to find out that the two are different)
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I start my international travel 20 ish of Jan so I am not concerned,IMHO I think these insane ristrictions will give way to sanity once Business travel is in full swing in USA & worldwide usually 3rd. week of January.

UK I will bet will continue with one carry on for couple of months. Which is why, on Monday I will ask United to re-route me via FRA for my South African trip.As I usually take 2 carry- on and my handbag.

IIRC, the no liquid cr**p insanity Lasted for 2/3 weeks.
American Business travelers complained to the US airlines,the insane liquid restrictions were modify with the one only carry-on baggage worlwide.
Only one business trip did I take powered toothpaste. IIRC, by mid trip the liquid ban had been modified and returned with regular toothpaste.

UK was the only one where one carry- on continued to be enforced for several months.

It was the UK one carry-on had impact on my travel to and via UK for few months, of course I found a way around it and never did a check bag.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hey everyone - Flying YYZ to LAX on Tuesday (12/29), returning home from the Holiday season in Ontario. We brought two suitcases that were checked but definitely counted on carrying on an item or two each - gifts that I didn't want to check (medium sized photos, Wii Fit Plus ). Not quite sure how this is going to play out for us.

Flew on United miles via Air Canada from LAX to YYZ. Debating what type of costs we would incur if we tried to move over to BUF to get back home.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
It was the UK one carry-on had impact on my travel to and via UK for few months, of course I found a way around it and never did a check bag.
How helpful not to tell anyone what this was.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:33 pm

IMHO I think these insane ristrictions will give way to sanity
I hope you're right, but do you stand by the claim you made yesterday that the restrictions imposed were responses by Canadian carriers only and that UA has imposed no restriction on passengers moving about in the last hour of flights to the USA from other countries?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by saltspring
quote:

I am concerned this may apply to all flights. Yesterday the message on AC.com indicated the restriction applied only to US-bound flights. Today's message removed the qualification.

I fly on the 28th; we'll see how much fun it's going to be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.