Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Domestic-Transborder Connection Time

Old Nov 29, 09, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Ive recently been sched changed due to AC changing YEG-LAX from daily to 4/week. Im now booked YEG-YYC-LAX with 1 hour and 25 minutes or so for my connection in YYC. I was wondering what the general opinion on safe transborder connection times is. I will have checked bags and will be travelling early morning in late January so de-ice times may be a concern. The only other option I have is taking a two and a half hour layover in YYC instead. Im a little concerned about the bags because I have an LH flight out of LAX on a seperate ticket later in the afternoon. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 09, 10:59 am

Programs: Horrorplan/Priceline Junkie
I fly YYZ - LAX on a regular basis and with only 85 minutes, I would be a little concerned, as you do have checked baggage. You have no control over your luggage, clearing US Customs or security, so there's a lot that could go wrong which would screw things up for you.

What's the minimum amount of time allowed from AC's perspective for traveling tickets (trans-border) in such an instance?
Old Nov 30, 09, 11:41 am

What time of day? US Customs in YYC is predictably horrid from 5:30-7:30 (or so), with line-ups easily taking over half an hour to go through, and one time even took 1 hour for me.

But the rest of the day, the line-ups are more like zero-to-15 minutes.

Bit of a tough call -- with a "risky" connection in LAX (i.e., you *really* don't want to miss it), I'd be tempted to take the longer layover in YYC. 1:25 is enough time if it's not early AM, and if your flight from YEG is on time. Doesn't leave much room for error.
Old Nov 30, 09, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Doesn't YYC divert US-bound bags to the customs area so it's a matter of a 5-minute walk to PreClearance and maybe a short wait for those bags? AC is also very good a moving people to the head of the cue if their flight is within a half-hour of departure. I think the time alloted is fine. If you're worried and your flight is still two months off, apply for a NEXUS card and short cut the lines.
Old Nov 30, 09, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
Doesn't YYC divert US-bound bags to the customs area so it's a matter of a 5-minute walk to PreClearance...
Correct.

Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
...and maybe a short wait for those bags?
I can't comment on that. Baggage delivery on domestic flights to the normal carousels tends to be reasonably snappy, so hopefully to the US Customs carousel would be good too. (Delivery to the Canada Customs area on int'l arrivals sucks. Not sure if that's due to behind-the-scenes inspections, or what.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: