Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Interesting one in the MLL this morning..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K

So I arrive at the MLL in YEG this morning and I see about 6 agents lined up at the desk and a guy arguing about why he should be let in with his amex platinum card (non Maple Leaf version). The agents were trying to tell the guy that he doesn't have the Maple Leaf card and just a regular amex platinum, but, this guy would have none of it.

Another *E walks up and says "it's ok, you can come in as my guest"

The guy refuses to enter as a guest because he wants to clear up why he can't get in on his amex. The *E member says ok and leaves. After about 15 minutes (i'm behind this guy waiting) they denied him and said he needed to contact amex. At this point, the guy says "fine, I'm that other guys guest" and enters the lounge

Appears the agents just let him in with that.. Should be have been asked to leave? Why are people so stupid sometimes? Would you have offered this guy a free ride as your guest?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by slashd0t
Would you have offered this guy a free ride as your guest?
If he were the victim of an honest misunderstanding, or was a suave guy trying to elegantly gain access to the lounge, then yes. I admire the art of bluffery.

However, there's a line between bluffery and buffoonery; if he were rude, arrogant, obnoxious or in any way mean to the agents, then I would have strolled right on by, pausing just long enough to say a drippingly cheery good morning to the head dragon and ask if my favourite overstuffed chair had the customary two cushions this morning.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threepoint
If he were the victim of an honest misunderstanding, or was a suave guy trying to elegantly gain access to the lounge, then yes. I admire the art of bluffery.

However, there's a line between bluffery and buffoonery; if he were rude, arrogant, obnoxious or in any way mean to the agents, then I would have strolled right on by, pausing just long enough to say a drippingly cheery good morning to the head dragon and ask if my favourite overstuffed chair had the customary two cushions this morning.

100% arrogant.. He was saying "How come I've used this 25 times already in the maple leaf lounge so far this year?" Of course we all know this is a lie because they won't admit someone on a regular amex

He was one of those "i'm not going anywhere until you admit me" type people.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: AC E
100% arrogant...He was one of those "i'm not going anywhere until you admit me" type people.
In that case - it's an easy answer: "Enjoy the food court".
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by threepoint
In that case - it's an easy answer: "Enjoy the food court".
^
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
^

The crazy part is, he is still in here somewhere!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Update... Dousche bag officially removed.. Well done AC lounge dragons!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Tell him the FT team thinks he is a nob!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:22 am

You should have cell-phone pic'd him and post the photo online!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
You should have cell-phone pic'd him and post the photo online!

Why!? He looked exactly how we all would expect him to look... Sport coat, bluetooth headset, "I'm the big boss" attitude with an AMEX PLATINUM CARD!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
That is when a stealth camera phone picture of him would be nice... so we could all point and laugh when we run into him!

I am sure I used to work for this guy... he had the MLL membership (bought it one day because he was delayed three hours, and couldn't bear to wait with the unwashed masses!) and it expired. We were in Toronto one day, and he played ignorant that he did not know it was expired (Paid $385 and only used it once!) started yelling and screaming... and as his employee, how do you react to that... As a Elite Member, I just walked in and started making myself a Caesar, along with my guest, another employee.

He stomped in almost crying, and demanded I guest him in as well... We walked back to the desk, and they let me bring in another guest. It was that moment that got me planning my exit from that relationship!

Some people are just idiots!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
He stomped in almost crying, and demanded I guest him in as well... We walked back to the desk, and they let me bring in another guest. It was that moment that got me planning my exit from that relationship!Some people are just idiots!
Yes, I know a thing or two about that kind of guy who truly believes that he owns you even in the MLL! Exiting that "relationship" seems to be the sole option.

There is always a revenge, though, if you remember Maude Findley (the late Bea Arthur) telling her husband: "God will get you for that." Or looking up and screaming: "Hurry!"
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Wow, good for the dragons. Once said ......... was in the lounge, most agents wouldn't want to face the confrontation to kick him out. I'm sure it brought a huge smile to your face watching him go...
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC Elite, Aeroflot Bonus, LH Oil & Energy Club, LH Miles & More Silver, SPG Gold, Amex MR
I guested in some dude in the Calgary Servisair Lounge because he was a M&M Senator, and forgot his card in Germany. He was making a big distracting deal, and I felt sorry for the lounge ladies (with 75% less Dragon than Maple Leaf Lounge).

He didn't even say thank you or anything... but the lounge ladies did. I'm not helping out anyone ever again. I say fuxum.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: FT
it always amazes me what people will do for some free food...i mean the booze was not even flowing yet at this time - although perhaps he was going to spend all day there....every time my spouse comes with me to the lounge, she is usually not impressed and never has more than perhaps a can of club soda....perhaps the only exception is at the Wing at HKG....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.