Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How Successful have you been using your Aeroplan Seat Upgrade Certificates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan

I'm new to the forum. I've searched through the forum looking for a thread on this topic and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for so I decided to post my own thread.

Background - I've chosen to fly with Westjet almost exclusively for the last 4 years because 1) I haven't been required to travel much and therefore I wasn't accumulating many FF points and 2) it is cheaper and 3) I think Westjet offers much better customer service than Air Canada does to their non status pax.

Anyway, things are changing and my job will require travel between YHZ and YEG regularly and I estimate I will earn just enough FF points to earn Elite status with Air Canada if I fly with them all of 2010. I've spent a lot of time reviewing aeroplan's reward program, talking with friends and reading over the posts in this forum(great forum by the way). Things like the MLL and priority check in are not a big deal to me. The thing that would compel me to fly Air Canada for a year (as non status pax) would be the thought of getting a few complimentary upgrades to Executive class each year.

Now - I know there is a big difference between getting these upgrade certificates and being able to use them and I wanted to hear from others about their success rate in using these certificates. If they are easy to use then I would probably switch to Air Canada and and fly with them for all of 2010 to get Elite status in 2011... if not, then I would stick with Westjet until their customer service drops to Air Canada levels.

So.. how successful have you been at using at using your SWU, SSWU and NAU certificates? What percentage of the time do you get the upgrade you're looking for?

Thanks for your input!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: status-free
I only use my two annual SSWUs, 'cause I'm cheap and fly Tango Plus (I'm assuming you know that the other certs are only good if you book Latitude class). I've had 100% success, but that might be because I use them on fairly undersold routes (like YYT-LAX). There's more chance involved on overseas upgrades; the serious posters here will clue you in.

If you really don't care about the MLL access (or the 50% bonus miles), and if you're seriously focussed on price, then status might not be worth it for you. You'll usually pay at least $60 for T+ over T to get the status miles (often more on flights to Alberta). On 35,000 miles worth of YHZ-YEG that'll cost you at least $900 a year. I, on the other hand, will do virtually anything for lounge access, even fly US Air.

And apropos of nothing, on AC often for the same price as YHZ-YEG you can fly YHZ-LAX and LAX-YEG (book the two legs separately to save on taxes). So you could tack on a couple of California vacations, if you have the flexibility. And, of course, earn lots of status miles...
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I am Super Elite so have had no issues using certs, both SWUs/NAUs for pass product Latitude fares in Canada as well as SSWUs for Tango Plus transoceanic. In the last 10 years, I have only been denied use twice (HKG-YVR and YVR-HKG) where I had other options but preferred not to increase my travel time to stay in business class.

Even as Elite, it seems that if you are using Latitude product, you likely should have no major issues using certificates. Might be more hit and miss as economy picks up for Tango Plus.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I have had 100% success using the certs. However, I'm in a position where I can choose to pay the extra ~$500 for a Latitude fare for the transcon flights. If you're not able to do this, or don't think it's worth it, then the benefit obviously diminishes greatly.

(Hmmm...now that I think about it, this means AC got roughly $4000 extra from me this year by putting me in the front cabin. They should be happy.)

And by the way, don't count on using your points for Classic *A flights. It's not what it seems.

Good luck, and welcome to FT.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:09 pm

I am 2 for 4 segments; I have few data points since I only made E at mid-year, and flying patterns tend to force me on UA... but here's what I can tell you:

YYC-YYZ-DCA: denied on YYC-YYZ, made it on YYZ-DCA. I was on latitude, but only purchased 2 days in advance, and wasn't on the ball to get on the waitlists (clearly needed more coffee those days).

YYC-IAH: succeeded on T+ using NAU (summer special of all passes being allowed on N.A. flights)

IAH-YYC: denied... but I was originally booked on US, only signed over to AC at last minute due to aircraft delays.

So, some success, maybe could have had more under "normal" circumstances!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I became Elite on October 9th and have the two SSWU cert which works on Tango + fares which is what I buy. So the question is, can you use the two SSWU cert on a trip to make it worth while. I have tried six times to use the other upgrade certs since Oct 10th and I have struck out! Unless you shell out the cash for the higher fares, then no, those upgrade certs are wall paper!

I like the points as I can fly on United & Lufthansa, the MLL is nice for long airport waits or after long flights and you want to shower (YVR & YYZ), the food is no screaming hell, soups, salads, chips and of course toast! I enjoy the free net access and all of the newspapers

If you like your booze and you can drink your body weight then the MLL is great. I truly believe the MLL are alcoholic’s heaven! Do not sit down and place a dollar amount on what you get it’s all intrinsic value.

These programs are all based on ego, many like the personalized name tags that are placed on everything so everyone can see them, the red arrow for priority luggage which is a hit and miss depending on the airport. You do have access to better seats and you do get what I call Westjet service as AC seems to be a bit nicer to you as AP*E & AP*SE. The upgrades are not as easy as the commercials.

Even with Super Elite there are Super Elite and then there is Super Elite. On Monday my son and I left YVR to YYC and there were five seats open in J, it was a E190, I was standing feet away from the GA when a AP*SE asked to be moved up and he said there were three ahead of him and they all have certs. I was the only one called and when I went up I was told there was only one seat free. So I said no. On the plane they moved a couple from the back to the two free seats in J. I thought there was only one and I was not called up. So there are ........ games being played.

I will say though its nice to get onto the plane first, grab the valuable real-estate above your seat for storage, sit where I have chosen and I do enjoy the quietness of the lounges, cleaner bathrooms, the munchies and the ability to grab my bags quickly and leave the airport. Remember you need to earn it first and then you can enjoy the benefits! YHZ to YEG are long hauls and you can earn a ton of points is you plan properly. Welcome and good luck

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Nov 11, 2009 at 9:36 pm
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:24 am

Programs: AC SE
So far this year, I've only flown across the Atlantic in the back once, out of 8 trips, and only then because I had run out of SSWUs.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:55 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
People! Where are our manners?

Quade111 -- welcome to FT! And thanks for a carefully considered first post. If you will be doing YHZ-YEG rtn very frequently, you might want to look at AC's flight pass products, especially if your schedule requires some flexibility.
--
13F
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:06 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
I never have any certs left of any description by the time my next package comes.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: no status
This is my second year as Elite. Last year I was able to use one of the SSWUs, but no upgrade on the return trip. This year I have used the NAUs and SWUs, but still have the SSWUs left - and I am not optimistic that I will be able to use them despite flexibility in travel dates to FRA or ZRH. Maybe those who report success for trans-atlantic upgrades could share some tricks.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Don't want to jinx it, but our (me and my wife) success rate of using the certs have been 100% for the 2 years that we became SE.

We still have 2 sets of SWU left. Thinking of burning them by taking a trip to LHR on M fare in February.

As leisure travelers, we don't mind buying reasonable (~$3K) Lat fare to Asia and use the SWUs (PEK & PVG) but won't pay something ridiculous (>$5K) for a Lat seat to Japan or HKG.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Quade111
I'm new to the forum. I've searched through the forum looking for a thread on this topic and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for so I decided to post my own thread.

Background - I've chosen to fly with Westjet almost exclusively for the last 4 years because 1) I haven't been required to travel much and therefore I wasn't accumulating many FF points and 2) it is cheaper and 3) I think Westjet offers much better customer service than Air Canada does to their non status pax.

Anyway, things are changing and my job will require travel between YHZ and YEG regularly and I estimate I will earn just enough FF points to earn Elite status with Air Canada if I fly with them all of 2010. I've spent a lot of time reviewing aeroplan's reward program, talking with friends and reading over the posts in this forum(great forum by the way). Things like the MLL and priority check in are not a big deal to me. The thing that would compel me to fly Air Canada for a year (as non status pax) would be the thought of getting a few complimentary upgrades to Executive class each year.

Now - I know there is a big difference between getting these upgrade certificates and being able to use them and I wanted to hear from others about their success rate in using these certificates. If they are easy to use then I would probably switch to Air Canada and and fly with them for all of 2010 to get Elite status in 2011... if not, then I would stick with Westjet until their customer service drops to Air Canada levels.

So.. how successful have you been at using at using your SWU, SSWU and NAU certificates? What percentage of the time do you get the upgrade you're looking for?

Thanks for your input!
Welcome to FT.

If you are constantly going back and forth to YEG, I would definitely look at a Flight Pass. If you can justify a latitude pass, you get non-cert required upgrades 48 hours out (based on J availability, not R) and the wonderful flexibility that Latitude fares offer.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where I was required to use a cert,100%.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I have always used my allotment of certs every year. No exception. Same goes for my colleagues.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999

If you can justify a latitude pass, you get non-cert required upgrades 48 hours out (based on J availability, not R) and the wonderful flexibility that Latitude fares offer.
I didn't realize this. I buy the London Pass which is a Latitude pass and
I've always used a certificate, since I have upgraded at the time of my booking. I assumed all London Passes had to use a SWU cert. to get a J seat, no matter when the seat is bought or the passenger's Elite status.

From the Passes website.

Features and Benefits
Upgrades permitted using eligible Air Canada Top-Tier Upgrade certificate

Perhaps I should just wait until 48 hours prior and then book my J seat with no cert required.

Last edited by nobody-elite; Nov 12, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.