Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Breaking STAR news for AE members from the MegaDo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking STAR news for AE members from the MegaDo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by RCyyz
A comment made by a senior LH person (sorry - can't recall who it was) was "one kitchen, many restaurants". He clarified this comment by noting that Germans prepare potatoes in a certain way, but the Austrians do it differently as do the Swiss (rosti) and the Brits (mashed). The raw material is the same, but the end product is different because it suits the market.
With my crib sheet in front of me I can affirm that analogy was made by Wolfgang Mayrhuber, CEO of LH. And while LH definitely wants to keep its FF program oriented to its best customers, our talk from UA's VP of M+ indicates they want to move that program more into the "consumer loyalty" area, so that suggests to me they are keen to go the AC/AE route, though still keep the elite program strong and beneficial. (I did find it curious that the new VP of M+ was English and not American.)
Old Nov 7, 2009, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by ceaton
Please please please don't let it come out of the same allotment as I/R space, it's hard enough to upgrade these days as a frequent flyer without having to compete with the people charging hundreds of thousands of dollars a month in business expenses through their amexs for the points...
I have never wanted to see AC/AE get into the miles upgrade game, even if it did mean we could use them on other STAR carriers so just this reason. It really puts pressure on elite upgrade inventory in the cert program.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I have never wanted to see AC/AE get into the miles upgrade game, even if it did mean we could use them on other STAR carriers so just this reason. It really puts pressure on elite upgrade inventory in the cert program.
+1

SSWUs are hard to use on a good day, routes depending
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
+1

However I would be interested in seeing what the plan would be, and how, if at all, they would protect the upgrade crowd (or at least us here on FT ).
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan E
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
+1

However I would be interested in seeing what the plan would be, and how, if at all, they would protect the upgrade crowd (or at least us here on FT ).
I would like to see a Two Tier policy through out STAR. One for non status collectors and another for the status traveller. Talking to some of the LH brass, they definitely see a need to help their HONs, Senators and FFPs. I do hope AC sees the need to do the same for their Super Elites, Elites and Prestiges.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:20 pm

I'm pretty certain they are only referring to the cross-carrier upgrades -- that is, use points on program A to upgrade a segment on airline B. I suppose this does mean that someone in UA MP could use their points to upgrade on AC.

But as always, the best value is to use the points within their own program, because:

1. The *A upgrades are only for a single segment, not origin-destination
2. The points costs border on obscene
3. They are only valid on the new *A definitions of "full fare" categorys (YB for econo, and CD for business)
4. You can only upgrade a single class.

My quick perusal suggests that these "upgrade" awards often approach the cost of an award ticket.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:26 pm

For no other reason that it was easy to find ('cause I already knew where it was) here are CO's rules for *A upgrades: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...onditions.aspx

and upgrade award costs (in points) - see page 5: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US..._20091027c.pdf
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
3. They are only valid on the new *A definitions of "full fare" categorys (YB for econo, and CD for business)
Checking on some of my preferred routes, in most cases the Y & B fares are more than the "discounted" J & Z fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.