Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in JNB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Distiction Diamond, HHonorsGold, Starwood Gold, Delta
Hotels in JNB

I realize that this isn't strictly an AC question but I value the opinion of this forum. I will be in JNB for three days in August and wanted to know what hotels folks would recommend. I usually go with SPG but there doesn't seem to be any in JNB. I need a business type hotel.

Any recommendations?

thanks
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Most of the business hotels are in Sandton in the Northern suburbs. The InterContinental, Holiday Inn and Hilton come to mind and there are several others. I've stayed in all three and they're fine, with upgrades at the IC and Hilton with RA and HH Gold.

The Hyatt Regency in Rosebank is close by. I like it because getting to the local shops and restaurants is user-friendly and because we benefit from a great rate (which is not generally available).

Sandton and Rosebank are about to be connected to the Pretoria-JNB-Johannesburg rail link. This won't be ready for your trip but will help the one after.

I haven't stayed in the CBD so have no feeling for downtown Johannesburg.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:54 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
I like the Intercontinental Sandton Towers. The rooms are of good size, have been recently refurbished, and have good bathrooms. The hotel is linked to the Sandton Mall, which has good restaurants and coffee shops, so you are not stuck with hotel dining.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
As mentioned previously all good hotel - personal favourite of the above is the Hyatt.
You could also alternatively look at the Westcliff (Orient Express) if you don't need to be in direct access to shops and restaurants. Or if you want a special treat try The Saxon - voted the world's leading boutique hotel and host to many of the world's most influencial people and Nelson Mandela's favourite spot in the city.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:20 pm

Near the Hyatt in Rosebank, which is waaaaayyyyy more interesting and fun than Sandton is the Rosebank Hotel which has just been refurbished and is now a Crowne Plaza. I haven't stayed there since the refurbishment, but it should also be nice. Another great area, also near Rosebank, is Melrose Arch, which has not only the Melrose Arch Hotel, but some others worth looking at. The Melrose Arch is (accurately) described as a 5 star hip hotel. Equally fun is the Peech in the same area.

I am one of those rare people who actually like Jo'burg a lot, and hope you have time to do some things while you are there. High on the list is the Constitutional Court/Old Fort, the Apartheid Museum, and Soweto. Something I want to do, but have not yet is do a tour with Urban Walkabout (www.urbanwalkabout.co.za/).

Have fun, and remember it can be quite chilly, especially at night, in August. Johannesburg is higher than Denver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.