Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Going to African Country, Need a "Yellow Card"?

Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Do I need to get a "yellow card" from the WHO with all my health info if I am going to an African country?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:09 am

It depends what 'African country'
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:21 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The Scottish NHS have a great site on travel immunisation recommendations and requirements, if that helps.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:38 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

In my experience, having been to Zambia, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Senegal and South Africa, some countries can require the following:

- Yellow fever vacation

- An international vaccination booklet (issued where you get vaccinated, not by WHO), certifying that you have had a yellow fever shot.

IIRC, Zambia actually asked to see my vaccination booklet, the others did not. The booklet does not need to carry any other information.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:33 am

The only African countries that have required to see my yellow fever innoculation papers upon arrival have been Angola, South Africa and Egypt - although in the latter two cases this is due to the fact that I was arriving from a yellow fever zone.

Outside of Africa, the only place that religiously checks my vaccinations is India. If the immigration officers see evidence of recent travel to a yellow fever zone, they will ask to see your paperwork.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:47 am

Kenya also requested one.

Luckily I had 'bought' one just the week before...the benefits of Africa. A few months later I did end up having the vaccine.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I would also check whether you need a Yellow Fever vaccination regardless of the card. It is one of the world's most dangerous diseases. It is endemic throughout central Africa, basically any of the countries south of those that border the Mediterranean and north of Namibia.

There is a reason why it is the one disease that many countries require proof of vaccination if you are traveling from an endemic country.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:30 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I have been asked for a yellow fever certificate on entering Mozambique. I have not been asked on entering South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Morroco, Algeria or Egypt.

YMMV
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Best thing to do is check with the embassy of the country or countries you are going to about entry requirements. While it is true that many which require it may not actually check on entry, you don't want to take the chance.

I've had mine checked in Malawi, Ghana, and Togo. It's usually checked entering Zambia from Malawi, but the health officer was out sick the day I crossed that border.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mhnadel
I've had mine checked in Malawi, Ghana, and Togo.
Ghana? Presume you mean at Aflao?

I've flown into Kotoka >250 times over the last few years and never been asked or known anyone else to have been asked.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Here's a question: how does one go about getting a yellow card? Buy one online somewhere and have a doctor fill it out? Or just ask my primary-care physician?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:56 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow in our Travel->Africa forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Here's a question: how does one go about getting a yellow card? Buy one online somewhere and have a doctor fill it out? Or just ask my primary-care physician?
Generally your primary care physician won't have access to the Yellow Fever vaccine. I got my vaccine at the state travel clinic (I'm in CA) and they provided the card when I got vaccinated. Google "yellow fever vaccine" and your locality to find out where you can get it
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Ghana? Presume you mean at Aflao?

I've flown into Kotoka >250 times over the last few years and never been asked or known anyone else to have been asked.
I know they checked it at Aflao. I don't remember whether they checked it or not at the airport.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
You have to go to a certified yellow-fever vaccination center. In the U.S. those are usually travel medicine clinics or county public health centers. There's a list on the travel health part of the CDC website (www.cdc.gov), which is a pretty good resource in general. It's worth calling a few places to compare prices.

The certificate is good for 10 years. You need the vacination at least 10 days before entering the country which requires it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.