Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
roadwarriorafrica, would you be so kind as to let us know some links to the threads which discuss layover activities at NBO? I have searched the Africa forum for threads with "Nairobi" in the title, and although there is a lot of discussion, I haven't actually found very much advice on what to do during a long layover, besides going to the Simba restaurant or visiting Giraffe Manor.

Being in the same situation next week (9 hours between flights, HGA-NBO-LHR), I'd like to get out into the countryside and see something -- make the most of my brief time in Kenya! I would be most appreciative of your advice (or the advice of any others who may have experience).

For example, I note there are a number of national parks in the metro Nairobi area. Which would be best for an afternoon visit from NBO? Or could I hire a car and get to the Rift Valley and back, or is that pushing it? By this time, I will have already seen the city so am curious about what is outside the city, but within reach of the airport, and could occupy six hours of time.

I will also be doing my own searching via other travel resources, but it would be great to have the input of some knowledgeable FTers as well

Thank you in advance!

EDIT:

For future readers, after a little more searching, I have found the following threads:

NBO Questions

What to do in NBO on long layover?

And, if you want to drop your luggage while out and about...

Luggage Storage at NBO?

Would still be happy to hear anyone else's advice, though!

Last edited by ExpatExp; Apr 14, 2011 at 3:41 am
Old Apr 15, 2011, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
With 9 hours you have plenty of time to visit the Rift Valley. Lake Nakuru especially. It's an easy drive nowadays. Less than 2 hours each way, depending on how you drive.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
For the benefit of future readers, just wanted to say thanks for the advice and let you know how it went.

My arriving flight into Nairobi was delayed, so I didn't exit the secure area of the airport until around 3 pm. The driver I arranged when passing through Nairobi a few days earlier had kept track of the flight, however, and was waiting for me when I came out. Although the driver was concerned that it was too late in the day to enter the park, I had done my research online and showed him the printout of their opening hours. Straight into the car and on to Nairobi National Park, which was well worth the total cost of approximately US $40, including me, the driver, and the car. Saw ostriches, cranes, zebras, lots of giraffes, rhinos and buffalo. We stayed until just after sunset to try to see some predators, but no luck. Still, a great experience for $40 and a 30 minute drive in traffic from the airport. Note that as long as you enter the park during normal opening hours, you can stay inside the park after closing time, up until it gets dark.

The traffic had cleared by the time we made our way out of the park and on to the Carnivore restaurant for dinner. This was great fun, despite the fact that it was a tourist trap. The food was excellent, the service was very quick and friendly, and the place was just about full. Total cost including set menu, bottled water and beer was about USD $40. Expensive for Kenya, sure, but still half as much as a similar meal in London.

Note that the Carnivore, like all restaurants in Nairobi, stopped serving game meats many years ago. This is old news but still catches some people by surprise. The change is due to a conservation law which took effect in 2004. The dozen or so meats on offer were delicious, however, and included things like crocodile, ostrich, camel and ox -- so there is still plenty of selection!

Back in the car and on to the airport, a drive which took about 20 minutes in no traffic. Had time to do some gift shopping and freshen up and change clothes in the BA lounge before the flight back to London.

Note for future readers: Rather than the taxi companies at the airport, use the Europcar driver service. This comes with very professional, older drivers, new, clean cars, and no hassle (as it is part of the global Europcar car rental chain). You can ask for them at the Intercontinental hotel desk in the arrivals lounge, as they provide the car service for the Intercontinental hotel. The cost of the car for the afternoon was US $75, arranged in advance and paid in cash at the end of the day. I felt that this was fine value for my budget. Just make sure that you confirm and reconfirm the price and what it includes, both when you make the reservation and again when the reservation begins (there was some confusion about whether or not an extra charge should be levied for driving in the national park, but in the end they stuck to the original cost of $75).

I've put my driver's contact details below (from his business card). A lovely older gentleman, careful driver, and knew where to find all of the animals in the park. Highly recommended!

Express Travel
Europcar (JKIA)
(car hire, transfers, day trips and safaris)
William G. Omoro, Tour Operator
+254 721469 351
Box 73201, Nairobi
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Nairobi, best little airport in the world

theguardian.co.uk: Nairobi, best little airport in the world

I know in the US, I often feel like smaller airports go overboard for clearing TSA...

If there is anywhere in the world that welcomes the glamorous spirit of aviation, it is Kenya. Think Denys Finch Hatton and Karen Blixen (OK, Robert Redford and Meryl Streep in Out of Africa) in a biplane waggling their wings over remote airstrips where the grass is kept down by herds of wildebeest and zebra.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:14 pm

Is 1 hr 35 mins enough for connecting flight in Nairobi?

About a month ago I purchased tickets online from YVR-AMS-NBO, and in a separate transaction, tickets from NBO to Kigali. When I purchased the tickets, my scheduled arrival time to Nairobi was 06:25 and the departure to Kigali 08:35. I've just been advised by Kenya airways in an email that my flight from Nairobi now scheduled to leave at 8:00. I'm concerned if this time will be adequate for switching planes. Any advise you may have would be appreciated.

The flights will be in early August.

(Somewhat unrelated: Just two weeks ago my connecting flight in Minneapolis was delayed by 5 hours due to mechanical problems resulting in missing my connecting flight in AMS to FCO. As it turned out, it was just an inconvenience for me, and simply I got re-scheduled for a later flight in AMS. But for some others, who purchased separate connecting tickets, KLM's position was that their obligation was limited to get the passengers to AMS, the rest is their problem.)

Last edited by jozsef; Feb 24, 2013 at 8:31 pm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
I'd say there is a 50/50 chance you'll have no problem. Worst case scenario is that you get bumped to another flight or they miss your luggage.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Canuck2012
I'd say there is a 50/50 chance you'll have no problem. Worst case scenario is that you get bumped to another flight or they miss your luggage.
OP is on separate tickets. Worst case is they miss their flight and KQ (I assume) refuses to rebook.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
I am assuming AMS NBO is either KL or KQ. Ring your local KLM office, and ask them to connect/link the two reservations together. If they can do that, you should be able to check in all the way through to KGL from YVR.

If they can't do this, and you miss your KGL flight KQ can be less then accommodating.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:03 pm

Thanks for your replies and suggestion. 50/50 is not too comforting... never mind the worst case scenario that I'm fearing. However, I'll contact both KL and KQ as my flight from AMS to NBO is KLM, operated by KQ, then to KGL is KQ.

I'll keep you posted.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
In my experience there is about a 100% chance your KQ flight will be delayed boarding. Regardless you should be completely fine: NBO is not that large...it takes about 10 min to walk one end to the other. KLM should be able to route the luggage all the way through on check in at YVR and there is a transfer desk behind immigration.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: United Premier
Question Nairobi transit help

I am going to Kenya for the first time in April, visiting friends in Nairobi and then in Mombasa. I will be coming back from Mombasa to Nairobi in order to catch a Brussels Air flight at 11:40pm. I have some questions about logistics that will help me decide which Kenya air flight to reserve for that return...

1. When I return into the domestic terminal at NKIA, will I be able to stay airside and go directly to the Int'l terminal? Are they separate buildings, or just two ends of the same building?
2. Is there a transit desk where I will get my Brussels Air boarding pass, or do I need to go out and check in again? If so, anyone know how early before the brussels flight I can check in?
3. Will I be able to (or should I) check my bags all the way through to the US from Mombasa/Kenya Air since KA is not Star Alliance--or does that make any difference for interline transfers?
4. How common are Kenya Air flight cancellations or delays? ie. Should I take a flight in the afternoon, to make sure that in case of cancellations, I can still have a couple of flights to fall back on?
5. I read that the Priority Club lounge is the best option for waiting. Is that still the recommendation? I have access to Star Alliance lounges, but don't see that there are any at NKIA.

Any advice from your greater experience would be appreciated.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: United Premier
reply from Brussels air

I was surprised that Brussels air answered my query promptly. I figured it would ignore it or I'd wait for days as has happened with other airlines. Here's what they had to say about my questions:

1. will I need to collect them at the domestic terminal in Nairobi and re-check them in with you in order to have them tagged all the way to the USA?
A: correct:domestic arrivals must collest their bags first, and then walk to the main terminal: the walk takes only 5minutes, and it is a direct line (one cannot go wrong); in order to assist you, I will ask my staff to plan for someone to assist you.

2. will I go to the outside Check In Desk for Brussels Air and have to clear security again?
A: correct: you will have to check in again: your boarding pass will not be ready, however feel free of course to make use of our online check in facilities: anyhow, you will have to walk to the main terminal (= departures of British Airways, Swiss, Brussels Airlines), pass thru the security,
pass all your bags thru Xray, and queue at the check in desks.

3. What time does the Check in Desk open before the flight to Brussels at 11:40pm?
we open at around 8pm

4. What time do you recommend arriving from Mombasa in order to have plenty of connection time?
with FLY 540, select this departure:
flight 5H – 406 , MBA to NBO 2040 – 2130 = 1hr15 of transit time before closure of flight
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:13 pm

I would avoid Fly 540 and take Kenya airways. KQ 613 & 615 will get you into Nairobi with good time to check in for your Brussles flight.

If you are Star Alliance Gold, you will be given an invitation card to the First Class Lounge. This is a shared lounge - usually crowded, but better then then general seating area.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:48 pm

I am wondering if there are any recent updates on this topic. I have a day to spend in Nairobi this fall before a late flight out. I was thinking of hiring a car to go to Nairobi National Park. Has anyone had recent experience with Europcar or have other reliable/safe suggestions?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by alaskaphotomom
I am wondering if there are any recent updates on this topic. I have a day to spend in Nairobi this fall before a late flight out. I was thinking of hiring a car to go to Nairobi National Park. Has anyone had recent experience with Europcar or have other reliable/safe suggestions?
I think it is a brilliant idea, but you would be better of not self driving. Try and hire a mini van with a pop up roof and driver/guide. PM if you would like some reliable contact details.

What you can do is arrive, Nairobi National Park, then exit through the Langatta or Main gate, head to Karen (Giraffe's, Museum, etc.) grab some dinner and head back to the airport 2 hours before your flight.

RWA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.