Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by linsj
I'll be flying Swiss to NBO in November and probably will have to spend 2-3 hours in the airport before leaving on a 12:20 a.m. flight. I know Swiss doesn't have a lounge there. What airlines do have lounges?
I think it's just BA and KQ, that was the case the last time I was there. Everybody else shares a couple of crappy generic lounges. As bad as they are, they're far superior to the terrible waiting areas elsewhere in the terminal.

And whatever you do don't fall for the trap of proceeding to the gate when they first announce it. They open gates about an hour before the plane leaves and you get trapped in a hot glass box with insufficient seating until they deign to board your flight, which may well be late.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
As mentioned in the other post, only KQ and BA have lounges. The generic lounges has drinks and sandwich type options. There is also the Java Coffee Shop which has decent seating and good coffee.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
If cigarette smoke bothers you, be prepared -- when I was there in 2005 sitting at the coffee shop area was like lounging in an ashtray and it quickly sold out of sandwiches, etc as the night went on. But we did pick up Tusker T-shirts relatively cheaply in the gift shops there.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 9:30 am

JKIA Nairobi airport is now a smoke free airport. No smoking after pre-check in security.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
As mentioned in the other post, only KQ and BA have lounges. The generic lounges has drinks and sandwich type options. There is also the Java Coffee Shop which has decent seating and good coffee.
of course not , there 2 others lounge in JKIA, the first is a non airline lounge (VIP and kenya governement only) and the 3rd lounge is a multi airlines lounge which welcome Brussels airlines, Ethiopian, Emirates, Swiss, Air Mauritius and others its name:
Kenya Duty Free Lounge

here is the link to know the impressions of a recent visitor:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...e-nairobi.html

enjoy your trip
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
and the 3rd lounge is a multi airlines lounge which welcome Brussels airlines, Ethiopian, Emirates, Swiss, Air Mauritius and others its name:
Kenya Duty Free Lounge
There are actually two of those multi-airline lounges. One by each ramp to Immigration. These are also Priority Pass lounges and I use them very often since they are closer to the gate than the BA or KQ lounges. If I remember correctly, they are near Gates 5 and 12.

And the sign in front of the door says "First Class Lounge".
Old May 20, 2010, 9:40 am

good info - but what are "ground services"?

Hi -

I'm looking to do the same thing - leave some luggage at NBO for about a week - and this information seems very helpful, except I'm not familiar with the term "ground services." Does it refer to the customer check-in and baggage check services of the individual airline with which you are flying?

thanks in advance...
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
My fiance and I will be flying through with just a day layover in NBO (well it'll be our honeymoon so I suppose it will be my "husband" and I). Similarly, we don't really want to lug our rollerboards all around the city.

Is there a place near the airport / the city center that has a cheap rate to take a shower and maybe store our luggage? A hostel, hotel, public watering hole, etc.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Dropping off luggage at a downtown Nairobi hotel could also be an option, depending on the time of day. Taking a taxi to/from Nairobi late at night and at dawn takes maybe 15-20 minutes each way. During rush hour, it could be an hour and a half.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
FYI - found this info on the NBO English website

1: Are there shower facilities available to the public at the airport?

Yes we do have a shower facility in the transit area next to the Kenya airways transit lounge in the first floor which is public. The other shower facilities are only available in the Diplomatic Duty Free lounges but for a fee.
Is there a left luggage facility at JKIA and what are the opening times?

There is a left luggage facility at JKIA. The charges are KSH 300 or USD 4 per bag per day. To locate the facility at the airport, you shall exit the baggage hall and turn left, proceed to the domestic departures where the facility is situated in the domestic/local departure hall, well known as unit 3 departures. The facility is open 24 hours every day.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Transit at Nairobi

hi everybody,

i'll be flying out London to Mombasa with Kenya Airways. Apparently the domestic flights are at the Unit 1.

Do i have to pass the Immigration to reach Unit 1? Or at Mombasa airport.

Also are the facilities the same at Wilson Airport than JKIA, to reach the Nairobi city centre? buses and taxis?

Cheers

FBWR
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
hi everybody,

i'll be flying out London to Mombasa with Kenya Airways. Apparently the domestic flights are at the Unit 1.

Do i have to pass the Immigration to reach Unit 1? Or at Mombasa airport.

Also are the facilities the same at Wilson Airport than JKIA, to reach the Nairobi city centre? buses and taxis?

Cheers

FBWR
On arrival into Nairobi, you will clear immigration, collect your luggage and then clear customs. After Customs, when you exit, you need to go to Unit 3 (not Unit 1) which is to the left, across the little car park, across the road. It is all of 90 meters away.

You will need to clear Security again, and then check in. If your luggage is checked through to Mombasa from London, just drop your bags off at the Luggage Drop off Line.

Facilities at JKIA are far superior to Wilson. Wilson does have taxi's and buses, and is probably quicker to get the Nairobi CBD.

Happy travels.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:50 am

Nairobi---Long Layover

I'm flying from U.S. to Kenya in March 2011. My layover at Nairobi airport is scheduled to be 9 1/2 hours. Any comments on things to do there, besides being terribly bored and sleepy?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:44 am

Hi Meerkat

Your question has been answered in many other threads. People have suggested to head into town/Karen, do some sight seeing, dinner and back to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.