FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   South Africa 2009 - Cape Town or J'burg? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/799978-south-africa-2009-cape-town-jburg.html)

bwohlgemuth Mar 10, 2008 2:18 pm

South Africa 2009 - Cape Town or J'burg?

I am thinking of taking some daddy time next year and flying out for a Super 14 Rugby Match for a long weekend. The big question is whether to see the game in Johannesburg or Cape Town? Sounds like there is plenty of nature to see (when I'm not at the match) and I can justify the ticket & everything.

Of course, the trip might be interesting enough for my wife to tag along (destroying my weekend, but oh well).

SanDiego1K Mar 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Capetown is a lovely city, that has become a draw for tourists around the world. It has excellent restaurants and a wide range of sightseeing. I'm unaware of a major game park within a short drive.

J'burg has a reputation as being unsafe. I'd be very cautious about going out and about. Kruger is a great animal park, but is about a four hour drive from J'burg. Still, if you go, the Apartheid Museum is a must.

Here are a couple articles on Capetown:

The Cape Town Area’s Endless Possibilities, New York Times, May, 2007

36 hours in Capetown, New York Times, Jan, 2008

bwohlgemuth Mar 10, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks SD, Cape Town was looking like the right place to go, but I wanted to be sure we wouldn't miss anything.

jsnydcsa Mar 11, 2008 6:15 am

I'm not a huge sports person but my vote goes to CPT over JNB any day. More to do in CPT, more to do around CPT and, while CPT is no safety-town picnic, in my opinion, safer.

Cheetah_SA Mar 11, 2008 7:56 am

On a long weekend that includes a game you're not going to get much wildlife in. So I'd stick with Cape Town. Loads to do and plenty of nature nearby (including a big mountain right in the city) if that's your bag.

manneca Mar 11, 2008 9:01 am

My vote's with CPT, too. Really beautiful, great restaurants. I'd suggest a visit to Robben Island where Mandela spent much of his imprisonment. My guide was a former prisoner who had great insights into that era of South Africa.

nyc123zoe55 Mar 11, 2008 11:34 am

Cape Town is a great city and would be my choice. I would rent a car as the city is very easy to drive in. Check out the list SanDiego1K provided for things to do in Cape Town. I think there have been some recent threads also on this topic. You will have a wonderful time in Cape Town.

ewj Mar 11, 2008 12:22 pm

J burg is safer now than it was 3-5 years ago, besides most people stay in Sandton (a suburb) anyway. Sandton shopping is like what you would see in San Francisco, Toronto, or Amsterdam. It is also more of a financial and industrial area. Krueger is the best park in SA (about 150 miles) from J'burg.

Cape Town is much more for the western style tourist destination. With Table Mountain, the wine region, and beaches very close. The western Cape is also more temperate weather wise. Cape Town is also more of a sports town.

rudi1380 Dec 1, 2008 6:59 am

Cape town is without a doubt the right option, if you are looking for things to do in cape town, let me know. I live here and adore the city

Craigo Dec 7, 2008 9:36 pm

I had two weeks in South Africa earlier this year and timed it to see the Brumbies play the Stormers at Newlands and the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld. The game atmosphere at Newlands is fantastic, the crowd is very noisy and partisan but also reasonably friendly to supporters of the visiting team. The Cape is a lovely area and there is plenty to see - Table Mountain, Robben Island, City Bowl, the Cape Peninsula, Stellenbosch and the Winelands.