Wiki Posts
Search

One Week in South Africa--What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Prem Plat
One Week in South Africa--What to do?

Flying to JNB in two weeks and will be on the ground for 6 days. I was hoping to visit one of the game parks and also spend a few days in CPT. Based on other threads, it looks like there's not much to see in JNB so I'll probably limit my time there to one day.

What's my best bet for maximizing my time? I was thinking of flying straight to CPT after landing and then spending the first 3 days there. Is Kruger worth the trip, or are there other parks by CPT that would suffice?

Comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joker545
Is Kruger worth the trip, or are there other parks by CPT that would suffice?
For a number of reasons, the private reserves in the Western Cape do not offer what most people would consider a "real" safari experience. Pilanesberg and Madikwe are closer to JNB than Kruger is, but if you opt to fly in, all the private reserves in Mpumalanga en Limpopo are within easy reach.

Johan
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:24 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I'd suggest the following:

- go down to CPT, and stay in one of the fashionable city guest houses, "An African Villa" is good.

- spend a day touring the wineries, on a driven tour so you can sample the goods

- drive yourself around the Cape in a rental car

- head back to JNB for the last three days of the trip

- spend two days in Pilansberg.. lots of possible places near there

- spend the last day with a driver touring the key sights in JNB.. incl Soweto and the Aparheid Museum

Have fun. A week is never enough time for SA.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Prem Plat
So we've made some changes to the itinerary and are now flying into Cape Town and out of Port Elizabeth. Am planning on renting a car to drive between the two cities and probably spent 3 days in CPT before heading out and then 2 days in one of the game parks on the way.

Questions: 1) How are one-way car rentals in SA?; 2) What's the best game part between CTP and PLZ?; 3) Any suggestions "off the beaten path?"

As always, suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:44 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by joker545
So we've made some changes to the itinerary and are now flying into Cape Town and out of Port Elizabeth. Am planning on renting a car to drive between the two cities and probably spent 3 days in CPT before heading out and then 2 days in one of the game parks on the way.

Questions: 1) How are one-way car rentals in SA?; 2) What's the best game part between CTP and PLZ?; 3) Any suggestions "off the beaten path?"

As always, suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.
1. Not a big deal - you'll need to shop the majors of course.

2. http://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/ A picture - http://gardyloo.us/africa13J%20026a.JPG

3. I don't think you have much time for off the beaten path side trips but YMMV. Distances are deceptive.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Nov 17, 2008 at 9:57 pm
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There aren't any proper game parks on the Garden Route - the real ones are up North.

I would recommend Outsdhoorn however (North of George). There are the Cango Caves, Wildlife Park (cuddle a cheetah!) and Ostrich farm (where you can ride the beasts).

As per earlier suggestions, on your limited timescale, spend a day in Pilanesberg. It is a 570km2 wildlife park around 2.5 hour drive from JNB. You can see everything there, and I certainly did last month, except for cats

Make sure you take and use proper sun cream. No need for jabs unless you visit the more remote parts of Kruger.

Be sensible all the time. Do not flash the cash, and don't walk around alone or looking like a tourist.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:24 am

things to do in cape town

there is really tons of things to do in cape town. One visit to this spectacular place is not enough. For a short time I would recommend looking at a tailor made tour. sharesouthafrica.com has some interesting deals.

otherwise here is what NOT to miss:

- Cape point and the penguins at simonstown
- A fish braai (BBQ) with some fresh fish hout at Hout Bay
- The whales at Hermanus (between June and Nov)
- wine tasting and stellenbosch
- Hiking (or with the caple car) up table mountain. I can highly recommend walking up skeleton gorge from kirstenbosch but make sure you have a guide with you as one can easaly get lost
- kirstenbosch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.