Suggestions/Advice regarding Maputo Mozambique

Old Jan 21, 08, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone

I'm curious to hear from anyone having been to Maputo, Mozambique
what is the best routing?

There and on to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania October-November.

Last edited by Boston_Bulldog; Jan 22, 08 at 3:27 am
Old Jan 24, 08, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I don't know if it's the absolute best, but I've gone via JNB on South African.
Old Jan 24, 08, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajnaro View Post
I don't know if it's the absolute best, but I've gone via JNB on South African.
Thanks ajnaro. That might be best unless the ongoing political situation in Kenya settles down between now and then.
Old Jan 26, 08, 5:16 pm

Programs: NWA, Delta, AA
I was flew in JNB and rented a car a drove to Maputo. It's not a bad drive about 5.5 hours. The roads are quite good in South Africa, it's a easy drive.
Old Jan 28, 08, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog View Post
Thanks ajnaro. That might be best unless the ongoing political situation in Kenya settles down between now and then.
The political situation in Kenya has, so far, had zero effect on any tourist. It is rather irresponsible to suggest it will in the future. There are much worse dangers to tourists in South Africa, not that it would keep me from making a similar drive. Just be careful and don't stop for anyone along the road. That is how thieves sometimes ambush tourists in SA.
Old Feb 13, 08, 6:36 pm

JNB would be best

If you don't want to drive from JNB, try this. Just be careful around Park Station if you take this option. If you can, get your visa before leaving the States. It was an all day process when I did it in South Africa. Try to visit the Feira Popular and Mercado do Peixes for good seafood.
Old Feb 16, 08, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog View Post
Hi everyone

I'm curious to hear from anyone having been to Maputo, Mozambique
what is the best routing?

There and on to Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania October-November.
SAA from JNB works for me.

And when you're in Maputo, do not miss eating at the fish market right across from the Indian Ocean (that's the Mercado do Peixe that mlhall referred to in the post above. I really enjoy Mozambique--food, people, weather all great, though it might be a little warm when you're going.
Old Mar 24, 09, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the latest on visa-on-arrival for Maputo? Either driving or flying in? Is it pretty easy? How much does it cost?
Old Mar 26, 09, 12:51 pm

Programs: AFKL-FB Plat, AC-E, BD-G
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
What's the latest on visa-on-arrival for Maputo? Either driving or flying in? Is it pretty easy? How much does it cost?
I've been only once in Mozambique, I took TP, non-stop flight from Lisbon to Maputo (LIS-MPM). Actually I was flying from YUL, YUL-FRA-LIS-MPM.

I got my visa before arriving, but you can get it upon arrival (either at the border with ZA or at MPM airport), it costs 25 US$.
Mozambique is indeed a wonderful country, with great diving spots if you're into diving ( I am

Gabriella
Old Mar 26, 09, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Gabriella.

Has anyone driven a rental car from JNB to Maputo? I'm wondering if they would let the car cross the border and how much if anything, it would cost. If I have the time, I would much rather drive than fly.
Old Mar 28, 09, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If things are still the same now as a few months ago, don't get a visa in advance as its much cheaper and more convenient to do it at a port of entry.

I just did the drive from JNB in December. At the time, the only rental I found (only checked majors at JNB airport) that allowed vehicles to go to Mozambique was Hertz. They charged 1000 rand for the length of rental. N4 (mostly tolled, even in SA) goes across the border and is in great condition. Other roads in Moz are not so good, and although I usually prefer the smallest car possible I wished we had something a little more sturdy than a Proton.

The border is doable, but be prepared. For both SA and Mozambique, deal with customs for the car first and then for people (different queues and forms on both sides.) You actually needn't bother with all the expediters who hassle you on both sides of the border. Just park and walk inside the main building.

The document hertz gives you is essential to export customs on the SA side - they want a good deal of specifics (like the serial number of the car's engine) in an effort to prevent stolen SA vehicles from crossing the border. Then you get exit stamp from SA, get back in the car and drive a block, hand vehicle receipt to SA border guard, get blank receipt from Mozambique dude, park and walk inside mozambique customs hall. Mozambique actually uses one of the carbon copies of the SA export document and stamps it when you pay something like 50 rand - that is your temporary registration. After the car is approved, you can get a visa from the main immigration counter in the same hall - they charged 210 rand and the agent goes in the back for 10-15 minutes while visa is processed. With you visa, you go back in the car and a guard "inspects" and asked us if he could have all of the food and pens that were within view (keep it hidden if you don't want to share). You get the final stamp on your receipt and are free to go.

It sounds complicated, but without any experience or professional help it only took us 35 minutes on the way there and 1 hour on the return - the return having longish queues to reenter SA.

One issue that I didn't anticipate was that local license plates are black, and SA (at least Gauteng) are white. This is an invitation to harassment from the traffic police - the whiteness of the plate is visible from farther away than the whiteness of the occupants. With road conditions (even in Maputo proper) you'll find it is impossible to completely obey traffic regulations, and despite following 10 other vehicles veering into opposing traffic lanes to avoid lake-size potholes the annoying cops would come out of the woodwork to demand mordida. According to a local contact, the agreed upon price for locals is 100 meticais ($4), but even after half an hour of bargaining we never got out for under 200. Compared to Kenya, where $1 is accepted with a smile, it adds up. My point in saying this is that while renting a local car with black plates wouldn't necessarily stop harassment if you are of non-african origin, but it seems it would make you stick out less. But then again, Hertz gave us a flyer saying if were having road trouble to contact Hertz SA as hertz mozambique was not reliable - so i don't know the situation.

Maputo has very little to offer tourists (when we were there 3 of the 5 marquee attractions were closed) but the street names are a crackup. Typical directions are "left on Kim Sun Il Blvd, veer onto Mao ZeDong but if you've reached Ho Chi Min Ave you've gone too far"
Old Mar 11, 10, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Originally Posted by GabriellaYUL View Post

I got my visa before arriving, but you can get it upon arrival (either at the border with ZA or at MPM airport), it costs 25 US$.
Mozambique is indeed a wonderful country, with great diving spots if you're into diving ( I am

Gabriella
I know people are reporting getting the visa upon arrival, but their embassy in the US indicates once must get it in advance at this site:

http://www.embamoc-usa.org/visa.htm

Is it worth risking it and just getting the one-time entry visa upon landing in MPM?
Old Mar 12, 10, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I know people are reporting getting the visa upon arrival, but their embassy in the US indicates once must get it in advance at this site:

http://www.embamoc-usa.org/visa.htm

Is it worth risking it and just getting the one-time entry visa upon landing in MPM?
Here is more definitive text from the State Department website....

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS:A visa is required for entry into Mozambique. It is recommended that travelers acquire the appropriate visa prior to departing for Mozambique, although a one-entry visa can be obtained at country points of entry, including airports.
Old Mar 15, 10, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jesus4jets View Post
in an effort to prevent stolen SA vehicles from crossing the border.
During the civil war, at least 75% of the cars in Maputo had Transvaal license plates. Always wondered how they got there, as driving from SA to Maputo was a rather suicidal undertaking in those days.

Originally Posted by jesus4jets View Post
According to a local contact, the agreed upon price for locals is 100 meticais ($4), but even after half an hour of bargaining we never got out for under 200.
Always spoke Swedish to them, never paid a cent. Generally used a bicycle to get around Maputo, though, even at night. Avoided the traffic jams, and it was a very safe city back then.

Johan
Old Mar 22, 10, 6:10 am

I was in Maputo in February, it took 5 min. to get a visa in the airport (I am from Denmark/Danish citizen). I am flying back next week together with my family (5 pax) (HAM-DXB-JNB-MPM). We are renting a car from the airport (www.sixt.com - 382 USD). We will get the visa in the airport again, it is cheap and easy. I am hoping to go back with the family later this year, and maybe we should try and drive to Maputo from JNB instead.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: