Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hotel recommendation near JNB

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by latinrusso
Can anyone tell me what the cab costs would be?

Thank you!
Cabs are not really an option in JNB. There are very few "western style" cabs in JNB. Most taxis in JNB are mini buses -- stay away from them. Stick with hotel shuttle service.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by mojorisin'
Cabs are not really an option in JNB. There are very few "western style" cabs in JNB. Most taxis in JNB are mini buses -- stay away from them. Stick with hotel shuttle service.
Agree with the conclusion, but there are normal, metered cabs for sure at the airport. I never took them in JNB (always had a driver arranged by the client), but used them a number of times in CPT. However, they are not cheaper than a pre-arranged driver.

SmilingBoy.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:33 pm
mee

highly recommend the Westcliff

Originally Posted by latinrusso
Not to highjack the thread... I will be coming to JNB for a night as well on the 1st of Jan, and at TA's suggestion have booked Westcliff -- it's about $300 a night... is it worth it?

Also, at hotel's rate they are asking about $80 for a transfer from the airport each way. Can anyone tell me what the cab costs would be?

Thank you!
The westcliff is one of the premier hotels in the city, and also world renowned. I have stayed there once, and seriously reccomend it! Make sure to have the buffet breakfast too - the dining rooms have the most spectacular views over the city, and the food is really good.

As for cabs, I think $80 is a lot to get from the airport to the westcliff, and there are "normal" cabs in JNB - do NOT take minibuses! The cabs in JNB tend to operate more like UK "minicabs" -- ie. call and reserve one.

2 companies to suggest (don't have phone numbers to hand, but try www.yellowpages.co.za) would be Rose Taxi or Maxi Taxi

hope this helps
-- Mike
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nyc123zoe55
There are several airport hotels Southen Sun Garden Court is one.
Is this the former Holiday Inn Garden Court? If so, I stayed there for a similar one night layover in Dec 2005. I booked it two weeks earlier when it was the Holiday Inn GC but was surprised when I arrived to find it had changed. The front desk told me no Priority Club Points, no upgrades, etc. When I got home, I contacted I-C and they credited my account for the points as if it had still been a Holiday Inn GC. These things happen and it wasn't the end of the world.

However, what did s**k was arriving at the hotel to find no open restaurant . Although the hotel is close to JNB, it really isn't "close" to anything. There was nothing within walking distance (I had taken the hotel shuttle - which there is a charge for BTW) so I was limited to the immediate area. The immediate area consisted of a closed petrol station and the hotel. That's it. No dinner for me that night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.