Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

JRO (Kilimanjaro) Access

JRO (Kilimanjaro) Access

Old Apr 19, 07, 7:58 am
Original Poster

JRO (Kilimanjaro) Access

I'm trying to plan a trip to Tanzania for this summer, but am having a really hard time figuring out the routing because there are so many options.

Aside from taking KLM, are there any other easy and cheap ways to get into JRO? I'd prefer to take a one world or star alliance airline, and I've found okay fares into Nairobi (NBO) and Dar Es Salaam (DAR) from JFK, but haven't had a lot of luck figuring out the last leg.

Best I could come up with was Kenya Airways or Precision Air for $375 from NBO to JRO or $290 on Air Tanzania from DAR. For an hour flight, this seems awfully expensive. Are there any discount carriers? Another place I should look into connecting from?

Thanks!

Alex
Old Apr 20, 07, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I don't think any Star carriers fly into JRO - though when I went South African wasn't an option.

From Dar, you can get a flight on an independent airline. If the $295 is for return, then I don't know you'll get much cheaper. When I was there, I flew from JRO to Zanzibar, and it was $100 - $150 per leg.

The other option is that you could do overland from Nairobi. It's 20 - 30 dollars, and takes about 5 hours, depending, of course, where exactly you are going. http://www.eastafricashuttles.com/shuttle/riverside.htm

Greg
Old Apr 20, 07, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, BAEC Gold
Hi Alex

looks like you've got one of the best routes already - JFK to NBO and then NBO to JRO. There are flights to JRO from Entebbe, Uganda (EBB) or Kigali, Rwanda (KGL) on Rwandair Express. Rwandair also flies into NBO...might be worth a look. They codeshare with Kenya Airways.

You could fly into Entebbe on BA - but it could cost more than to NBO.

st
Old Apr 21, 07, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's not my preference points wise, but KLM has a decent fare from Hartford, CT to Kilimanjaro (stopping in AMS), and I think I'm going to take that.

On anther topic...does anyone have any experience with "African Dream Safaris"?
http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/

I spoke with them yesterday and they seemed very reputable, but if anyone has any first hand experience, I'd love to hear it before giving them a deposit.

Thanks,

Alex

Search this Thread
Search Engine: