Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nairobi / NBO Driver, Car Service, Rental

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2006, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Nairobi / NBO Driver, Car Service, Rental

I've heard many people mention that they hired a private driver to take them around town, etc for the day. Any recommendations & approximate prices? Since we will be at the Hilton, should we just go through them? I guess that crime is that bad that we should not walk around on our own in the city? We are quite adventurous, but after reading multiple posts, I'm a bit more hesitant of going anywhere without a driver. Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 2015 at 12:49 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old May 31, 2006, 3:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

We stayed at the Hilton, and hired a driver recommended by the attendant in the executive lounge. That worked out really well for us. I think I posted in a Nairobi Hilton thread the things we saw; had a great time.

At the Hilton, they will be very clear that it is unsafe to walk around outside.
Old May 31, 2006, 9:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I sort of recall that the cost of a driver for one day around Nairobi (National Park, museum, a bit else) was around US$100-120. I didn't try to haggle the price. This was arranged through the exec lounge concierge.

Actually, the instructions at the Hilton desk (2004) were that you could go to the left, but NOT to turn right out of the hotel under any circumstance. I wouldn't try to wander around the city on my own, which I think was both of y'alls points.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdhenry
I sort of recall that the cost of a driver for one day around Nairobi (National Park, museum, a bit else) was around US$100-120. I didn't try to haggle the price. This was arranged through the exec lounge concierge.

Actually, the instructions at the Hilton desk (2004) were that you could go to the left, but NOT to turn right out of the hotel under any circumstance. I wouldn't try to wander around the city on my own, which I think was both of y'alls points.
Wow, that's quite a bit...but I guess since the driver is waiting for you that would make sense. I'm wondering if it'll be safe if we just get a cab to visit certain places instead of paying for someone to wait for us at each stop. The main places we wanted to visit was the Karen Blixen house and Carnivore. We may not visit Nairobi NP since we will have come back from the Salt Lick. Thanks for the insight!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:17 am
Community Director Emerita

I encourage you to read my post on what we paid for a driver for the day ($50). It also has a list of where we went. We had a terrific day.

I simply wouldn't risk finding a taxi at the places you visit. Further, the Karen Blixen House is outside of Nairobi, and the only taxis I saw there were waiting for folks they had driven there.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks SD1K...I must've missed your detailed post! Great tip, we'll be on the lookout.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by pdhenry
I turned left and right and didn't notice much of a difference. The area around the Hilton isn't THAT bad. No one at the hotel advised me not to walk around outside.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:13 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by subdawg
Wow, that's quite a bit...but I guess since the driver is waiting for you that would make sense. I'm wondering if it'll be safe if we just get a cab to visit certain places instead of paying for someone to wait for us at each stop. The main places we wanted to visit was the Karen Blixen house and Carnivore. We may not visit Nairobi NP since we will have come back from the Salt Lick. Thanks for the insight!
I live in Nairobi, and have been here for 9 years. I would recommend that you take a Kenatco Taxi from outside the hotel. The doorman can organise this for you. The taxi will have a fixed rate card printed and laminated. The drive from the Hilton to Karen on a weekday is about 1/2 hour. You must go to the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage. This is only open from 11:00 am for 1 hour, and you must get there by 10:50 am. After that, you can visit other places around Karen. May I suggest the Giraffe Centre, Karen Blixen Museum, Kazuri Beads, Matt Bronze. The Carnivore has down a bit. Have fun.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
I live in Nairobi, and have been here for 9 years. I would recommend that you take a Kenatco Taxi from outside the hotel. The doorman can organise this for you. The taxi will have a fixed rate card printed and laminated. The drive from the Hilton to Karen on a weekday is about 1/2 hour. You must go to the Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage. This is only open from 11:00 am for 1 hour, and you must get there by 10:50 am. After that, you can visit other places around Karen. May I suggest the Giraffe Centre, Karen Blixen Museum, Kazuri Beads, Matt Bronze. The Carnivore has down a bit. Have fun.
Thanks for the great suggestions! I am assuming that all of the items in Karen can be walked once I'm in the area? We are planning to go to Carnivore for dinner, so perhaps we could just get a cab to the area, and head back in a cab after dinner? Possibly see if Hilton can arrange to send a cab to pick us up?
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:14 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
No worries. Karen is a huge suburb, and not walkable. I would keep the taxi for the day. From The Elephant Orphanage to the Giraffes is a 15 minute drive. Have fun
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
When I was in Nairobi last fall (hoping to be there again this fall, incidentally), my group stayed at the Holiday Inn, and hired a local chap as our driver and "coordinator." He'd come by each morning with the car to pick us up, take us places (he'd go with us as well), run errands, et cetera. He was most helpful. I'm not sure exactly how the deal worked; I think it was sort of renting a car, but with a driver included. Very nice fellow. But that level of service was, I'm sure, somewhat more pricy. I believe they probably spent close to $1000 a week.

(By the way, the restaurant "Peppers" down the street from the Holiday Inn was quite good, in my opinion.)
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Recommendation for Car Service in Nairobi?

Hello FTers,

My wife and I will land in Nairobi quite late (1:30am-ish), and I'd like to arrange for a car service to pick us up at the airport and take us to our hotel. My experiences in other countries is that these car services are also sometimes willing to provide a day or half-day city tour, which is a service I'd also be interested in given our 3/4 of a day in Nairobi the next day. Finally, I'd use the service for transport from our hotel to the other domestic airport in the city.

I've been fortunate to get great suggestions on FT for companies providing these sorts of services in other countries - hoping you can help me out!

Cheers!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What is your hotel? I stay at the IC and they have good car service there. I'm sure any of the decent hotels in town will do the same.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
That's a good point, thanks. I'm staying at Fairmont's Norfolk hotel. I could email the concierge and ask for a suggestion. Cheers!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My advice is to call them. Email isn't quite fully installed in the culture there. They might respond but not note it correctly, or they might not respond at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.