Wiki Posts
Search

Electrical Adaptors, Transformers, etc

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum & a bunch of hotel statuses
Electrical Adaptors, Transformers, etc

Now that my wife and I are booked on AA miles for our trip, I was wondering what type of adapters are necessary in the Victoria Falls region and in South Africa (near Port Elizabeth and in Cape Town). We haven't decided which side of the Falls to stay on, but we fly into VFA. We're taking iPods, digital cameras, picture printer, curlers, etc. Most likely no laptop - but maybe buying a personal media player or something small for the flights. As always, thanks for the help.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:20 pm

I was in Joburg last fall on my RTW, and it was an odd size that didn't really fit anything in my worldwide samsonite set. The hotel desk (Hilton Sandton) did have some adaptors that I could borrow, but I believe that is the place I cooked my battery recharger--so be careful. I ended up picking up a 220v AA charger with european plugs in Helsinki, that I can use on future trips.

It might be worthwhile to confirm the power supply with your hotel, and then check that out with the manufacturers of the products you take. Dell, for example, promised that my laptop would run on anything the world threw at it. It did work fine there--and still does

JP
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:45 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
The SA plugs look like the British variety except all the prongs are round and fat, with the grounding prong being fattest. Adaptors to plug in European and US appliances (which are sold in SA itself) are available absolutely everywhere, from upscale malls to the side of the road. They are dirt cheap too. IIRC, every country I have visited around SA (Namibia, Botswana, Zim, Moz, Zambia and Malawi) use the same SA type of plugs.

Before you plug anything in though (or even better, before you schlepp it to Africa), check that it was handle up to 240V voltage. Laptop adaptors, for example, have all the input information on the back, including voltages it can handle (my Dell also can take 110V - 240V), frequencies and so on. Most electrical appliances have the info somewhere. If it can't take above 120V, consider leaving it at home, as you will have to lug a transformer with you. And if you plug it in, your product/appliance will be permanently destroyed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.