Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice on oneworld carriers/routes for award travel to South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2001, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Need advice on oneworld carriers/routes for award travel to South Africa

Feeling drawn (for reasons unclear to me at this time) to the Western Cape of South Africa, I plan to redeem some of my AAdvantage miles to fly First Class. With only four exceptions, my international travel has been to Western European cities and my flights have all been on AA (vast majority), BA (once) and DL (twice). Therefore, I need advice from those of you who are seasoned, intercontinental travelers with experience on many of the world's airlines, in particular the oneworld carriers.

The following are my choices, if I understand the AAdvantage award tables and the participating airlines' route structures:

1. CX, via YYZ/LAX/SFO/YVR and HKG, to/from JNB for 140,000 miles
*This option is the best deal, mileage-wise, and I suspect it would also offer the best service of all the choices. It would allow a stopover in HKG in both directions. Still, it would be a very long trip and I wonder if it would make sense when there are other, more direct routes.

2. oneworld "Zone 6" award for 180,000 miles using a combination of AA+BA+IB. The PLT desk told me the total mileage would be 18,794 (Zone 6 award has 20,000 mile cap) for the following: ORD-LHR-JNB-MAD-ORD
*This option would allow me to compare the First Class service of three oneworld carriers and would also allow me the chance to visit Madrid. Plus, it would be more direct than going via HKG.

3. AA/BA award, via LHR, to CPT or JNB for 200,000 miles.
*This option intrigues me, despite the extra miles required (I have plenty to deal with) as it would allow me to fly to CPT, rather than JNB, and it is more direct than going via HKG.

4. SR or IB stand-alone award, via ZRH or MAD, to JNB for 200,000 miles
*This option is not really attractive to me but it is, nonetheless, an option if all else fails.

Based upon your experience traveling among the oneworld carriers mentioned, which option would you choose and why?

Thanks; I will appreciate your suggestions.

Bill
(edited for clarity)

[This message has been edited by bbinchi (edited 02-21-2001).]
Old Feb 21, 2001, 11:33 pm

bbinchi:

I do not think that CX can take you to Cape Town (CPT): I think they only fly in to Durban (on the East Coast), and Johannesburg (North: about 1,000 miles from CPT.).

I am thinking of going to JNB some time this year, and was considering the same kind of scenario: the long flight on CX, but at a better rate than the shorter flights via LHR on AA/BA. I was looking at the business class rates, and CX needs fewer miles for that as well. They have a great coach deal at the moment: 55,000 miles, but it is a looong trip in coach.

If you havn't been to HKG, it may be worthwhile, if you have the time, to spend a couple of days there: it is fascinating, and there is some good shopping (suits, eye-glasses, etc...)

When are you planning on going? CPT is great in the Southern hemisphere summer (winter is when it rains there: June; July). Feb is the best month for CPT: many people from JNB go to CPT during Dec/Jan for annual vacations, so it is very busy then, and most places are very crowded.
(South Africa main vacation period is from around 12/5 - 1/15.)

Sorry I can not answer your direct question: I have only flown AA in first, and they were great. CX business is good.
Old Feb 22, 2001, 8:39 am

bbinchi,

The choice is clear. If you like to fly and have the time choose Option 1 and CX. Just make sure you take flights with the First Suites.

If time is an issue then choose Option 3 (AA/BA) or Option 2 (1-World).

A further thing to consider is that on Option 2 you could fly ORD-MAD-JNB-CPT-LHR-ORD. JNB - CPT is offered by a BA franchise carrier that qualifies for 1-world redemption and mileage.

Another option which may be approved under 1- World is ORD-LHR-CPT-JNB-HKG-LAX-ORD. As long as you do not stop more than 24 hours in HKG it should count as a connection and you will only need to o.... the non-stop CPT - ORD mileage. However, there may be a another rule that dis-allows this routing that I am not aware of.

Good Luck.

rich

rich
Old Feb 22, 2001, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Irvine and RichLond:

Thank you both for your insight and advice; I really appreciate it!

Au revoir (I'm off to CDG this afternoon...at present in the T3 Admirals Club at ORD),

Bill
Old Feb 22, 2001, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
All the foregoing is good advice, but you may only find the CX First Suites en route to HKG (but not from YYZ), and not likely on the onward flight to JNB [or return]. As also noted, BA operates a local airline called COMAIR and they can fly you between JNB and CPT if you use the AA/BA Award or a joint oneworld Award, but only J is offered as premium front cabin on these runs.

I have a trip in BA First booked for late April to CPT, with a side trip to Victoria Falls on Comair. This is on an Award ticket issued through CP when it was a oneworld partner. It was also a real bargain at 125,000 miles! Certainly, the CX offers the most travel for the fewest miles. (We Canadians can even do it in Y-class for a mere 37,500 AAdvantage miles on the sale CX has been running.)

You are certain to enjoy CPT. I can offer a few hints should you want them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.