Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Marrakech RAK Airport Minimum Connection Time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold

Hi all,
I'm about to do something that's perhaps a bit risky - connect in Marrakech airport from a OneWorld itinerary (international) to a Star Alliance itinerary (international).
I'm repositioning from Zurich.

I've done my searches and I couldn't find the following, so here goes: What is the minimum gap one could leave at RAK before connecting from international-to-international?

I have two choices of flights.

ZRH-MAD-RAK (1hr layover in MAD on IB, Silver member) arriving at RAK noon. Next Star Alliance flight (TK) out from RAK at 4pm.
ZRH-LIS-RAK (1 hr layover in LIS on TAP) arriving at RAK 11am. Next Star Alliance itinerary flight (TK) out from RAK at 4pm. They might or might not interline on separate itineraries, and I don't think Marrakech has a connections facility. It's usually an end-point destination as far as I know.

I'm a bit stuck because I have seniority on IB (and may be able to get faster customer service in theory), but that one arrives one hour later.
I don't have seniority on TAP, but it does arrive one hour earlier.

What are your thoughts? What would be safer?

Last edited by toonomadic; Aug 15, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold
For those interested, I ended up overnighting in Madrid. 2 hour transfers are enough if you're at the front of the customs queue since it is a relatively small airport with not a lot of arriving flights at the same time. However, Marrakech isn't an airport that handles transfers so border control will ask you for your hotel (in Marrakech) and you have to explain. Once they understand, they will stamp you but you won't get a number written in your passport (marking hotel registration is performed). Then you claim baggage and walk over to the check-in to re-check in.

Hope this helps someone.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is it possible to connect from a domestic Ryanair flight in Marrakech (ERH to RAK), then stay airside and connect on an international IB flight (RAK to MAD)? It seems that both airlines are in T1, but I'm booking a very tight connection - land at 4:50p, depart at 5:35p. Luggage will be carry-on. We would figure something out if we missed the flight, but I am wondering if it's just stupid to even try. Is it just a matter of going from one gate to another within the same terminal, or am I missing a step? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.