Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Where to stay North of Durban?

Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

So we'll be landing in Durban around 5:30pm, and will be picked up for our safari the next morning at 9am.

Given that the safari begins about 3 hours north of Durban, I don't want to 'backtrack' from the airport to Durban central.

Looking for towns to consider just north of the airport, where we can hang out for the night, grab dinner, and be refreshed for the morning. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
When I was there in 2013, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Umhlanga. It is south of the airport, so you would have to backtrack about 15-20 mins, but not all the way downtown. There were a few other options in that area. It was right off the highway and easy to get in and out of.

The other place I considered was the Fairmont Zimbali - which is north of the airport. Not sure when your trip is - looks like it is currently closed. Seems like there are several options in that Ballito area.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I would have thought Ballito is the best place.

​​​​​​I stopped there once and had a nice fish lunch.

I think it is preferable to Richard's Bay. Ballito is a short drive after a long flight. Richard's Bay is a slight trek.

​​​​​
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: *A
Ballito or Umhlanga is likely your best option. The latter has a Hilton, two Marriotts and an IHG if that is important.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.